Texans select QB Tom Savage in 4th round

Discussion in 'AFC South' started by truebluefan, May 12, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

It took two rounds longer than expected, but former Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage was finally drafted by the Texans with the 135th pick.

Savage's route to the NFL wasn't a conventional one; he played at Rutgers his freshman season, transferred to Arizona before ultimately ending up at Pitt. As a senior, Savage completed 61 percent of his passes and threw 21 touchdowns against nine interceptions.

As GMs, coaches and scouts watched more film, Savage appeared to skyrocket up draft boards, and there were even murmurs that he could sneak into the first round. At the end of the day, he lasted until the end of the fourth round.

According to NFLDraftScout.com senior analyst Rob Rang, "Savage is in the mold of strong-armed old school style passers like Drew Bledsoe with a pro-style skill-set and experience ... (who) has plus arm strength, but is too confident in his arm and will force throws and test small windows often."

But Savage's scouting report isn't all unicorns and rainbows; he also struggles with consistency and accuracy, and he's entering the league as a 24-year-old rookie. That said, NFLDraftScout.com analyst Dane Brugler calls Savage "Tough as nails and durable, brushing off contact and playing through pain," adding that he's, "Intelligent, mature and grounded with good leadership traits."

Savage told CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora earlier this month that playing for three schools during his college career turned out to be a blessing.

"It was a good experience this season," Savage said. "Obviously, looking back at it, I would have liked to win more games and we only went 7-6 and I wanted to win more games, but I think the program is on the rise and for me, personally, I just enjoyed getting back to a team, getting back to the guys. That's the first thing you miss -- being around the guys and being in the locker room.

- See more at: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...raft-texans-select-qb-tom-savage-in-4th-round