2007 Most Improved Player?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE, Apr 5, 2007.

1. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

Some candidates...Monta Ellis, Golden St Warriors2005-200649 G, 18 MPG, 6.8 PTS, 2.1 REB, 1.6 AST, 0.7 STL, 41.6 FG%, 34.2 3P%2006-200770 G, 34 MPG, 16.8 PTS, 3.0 REB, 4.2 AST, 1.6 STL, 47.7 FG%, 27.2 3P%Kevin Martin, Scaramento Kings2005-200672 G, 26 MPG, 10.8 PTS, 3.6 REB, 1.4 AST, 0.8 STL, 48 FG%, 36.9 3P%2006-200773 G, 35 MPG, 20.6 PTS, 4.3 REB, 2.2 AST, 1.3 STL, 47.7 FG%, 38.5 3P%Andris Biedrins, Golden St. Warriors2005-200668 G, 13 MPG, 3.8 PTS, 4.2 REB, 0.4 AST, 0.7 BLK, 63.6 FG%2006-200775 G, 29 MPG, 10.7 PTS, 9.7 REB, 1.2 AST, 1.7 BLK, 60.6 FG% Deron Williams, Utah Jazz2005-200680 G, 28 MPG, 10.8 PTS, 2.3 REB, 4.5 AST, 0.7 STL, 42 FG%, 41.6 3P%2006-200772 G, 37 MPG, 16.8 PTS, 3.3 REB, 9.5 AST, 1.0 STL, 46 FG%, 32 3P% Al Jefferson, Boston Celtics2005-200659 G, 18 MPG, 7.9 PTS, 5.1 REB, 0.5 AST, 0.8 BLK, 49 FG%2006-200766 G, 33 MPG, 15.9 PTS, 11.0 REB, 1.2 AST, 1.5 BLK, 50.8 FG%

2. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Kevin Martin's one of the most effcient scorers in basketball, without him Sacramento wouldn't be very competitive.

3. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

agreed, monta ellis makes a compelling argument, same with Jefferson. If the Celtics weren't 25 games under .500 he might have had a chance.

4. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

I think Martin takes it easily. like someone said he has kept the Kings competitive. Ellis is good, but is he really all that improved over last year, or is it just that he is getting more minutes this year?

5. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Ellis has been on the highlight reel so many times, but I think everyone knew the kid always had this kind of potential and talent. His success just comes from a significant increase in playing time. My choice is Deron Williams. He was outshadowed by his fellow PG counterpart Chris Paul, but this year, Williams has emerged as a leader for the Jazz, and is averaging a damn near double-double.

6. STAT

STAT BBW Elite Member

Barbosa should be in the discussion as well. He went from being just another 6th man to probably the second best scorer on the Suns. He is one of the key reasons the Suns win their games.

7. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

r u kidding? Barbosa? he has nearly the same exact stats he did last yearTHAT's being a homerKevin Martin easily...he's turned into the star for the Kings

8. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

unfortunately this is a statistical award and I don't think Barbosa's stats jumped enough to win this award. You are right though, he is an underrated player who is essential to the Suns success.

9. playaofthegame

Interesting thing I read on ESPNInsider<u>Most Improved In-Season Players:</u>Al Jefferson, Tyson Chandler, Walter Herrmann, Renaldo Balkman,Nene, Josh Smith, Tyrus Thomas, Lamarcus Aldridge, Andre Iguodala, Josh Boone, Ersan Ilyasova, Tarence Kinsey, Linas Kleiza, Sasha Pavlovic, Marvin Williams. Pardon me while I pull a Rob Neyer here. Let's do a side-by-side comparison of two players, whom we'll call "Player A" and "Player B"Player A: 20.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 53.1-percent shootingPlayer B: 19.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 1.7 bpg, 54.7-percent shootingWhich player is doing better? Player B, right? Now suppose I told you that Player A is Elton Brand ? and Player B is Al Jefferson since the All-Star break. Yes, really. And if you do this same exercise with any of the game's other top power forwards -- excluding the holy hoops trinity of Dirk, Duncan and KG -- you'll find Jefferson can hang with any of them.It's been slow and painful at times, but Big Al has arrived. The 22-year-old has finally reduced the turnovers, fouls and defensive lapses enough to allow his dominating post skills to shine, and as a result he's been one of the few bright spots in a painful Celtics season. However, we may not see any more of him this year. Jefferson has a sore knee and since the Celtics want Greg Oden, er, I mean since the Celtics don't want to risk worsening his injury, it's possible they'll shut him down.

10. The Legacy

The Legacy BBW Member

I honestley think that Deron Williams deserves it because he is the one who contributes most to winning. Golden State has Baron Davis and Andre Bierdnes and Jason Richardson playing out of their minds and Sacremento isn't winning and while it's true Utah has Boozer who gives him the majority of passes and hits the open shot when he kicks it out? Why is Memo averaging near 20 ppg? Deron Williams.

11. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Kevin Martin...Amazing shooter, and he's got quickness too...10 to 20 ppg in your 3rd season is amazing...

12. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

IMO, Monta Ellis should get it, and will get it. Where his average was last season, to this season, and that fact his team is doing better than KMarts team(Kmart is really the only one who gives him comp.), makes his case stronger.

13. yankshater213

yankshater213 BBW Elite Member

Deron Williams...The hardest jump is to make the jump from good to elite, and he definitely jumped to an elite point guard status. He's leading the Jazz to a pretty damn good season, great statistically. Very good offensive player and like someone else said, has greatly overshadowed Chris Paul (even though CP3 was hurt, it's obvious that D-Will has been better this year).

14. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

To me it has to be Kevin Martin. With the loss of Bonzi Wells the Kings needed more points so Martin came out, played to his full potential every night, and did what the Kings needed him to do. Boosted his scoring average way up and became a much better all-around player. Sure the Kings haven't had much success this year but that has alot to do with injuries and chemistry problems (Ron). Kevin Martin really upped his game this year and proved that he could be a potential all-star in future years. [​IMG]

15. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Pardon me while I pull a Rob Neyer here. Let's do a side-by-side comparison of two players, whom we'll call "Player A" and "Player B"Player A: 20.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 53.1-percent shootingPlayer B: 19.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 1.7 bpg, 54.7-percent shootingWhich player is doing better? Player B, right? Now suppose I told you that Player A is Elton Brand ? and Player B is Al Jefferson since the All-Star break. Yes, really. And if you do this same exercise with any of the game's other top power forwards -- excluding the holy hoops trinity of Dirk, Duncan and KG -- you'll find Jefferson can hang with any of them.It's been slow and painful at times, but Big Al has arrived. The 22-year-old has finally reduced the turnovers, fouls and defensive lapses enough to allow his dominating post skills to shine, and as a result he's been one of the few bright spots in a painful Celtics season. However, we may not see any more of him this year. Jefferson has a sore knee and since the Celtics want Greg Oden, er, I mean since the Celtics don't want to risk worsening his injury, it's possible they'll shut him down.</div>I like Al Jefferson, but I think the fact that Boston sucks kills his chances of getting the award. It's a lot easier to be good on a team that sucks, than it is to be good on a team thats good. while for the most part everyone on this list, except for Williams, are on losing teams, their teams are a lot better than Boston. if Jefferson had been putting up those types of numbers all year long, I think he'd get it. because since he's been putting up those numbers Bostons actually been pretty good.

16. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

SP3 has really, and I mean really stepped his game this season and has been awesome every since he got the starting job. His defense has been lock down good, and he has become another player LeBron James can throw the ball to. Not the most improved player of the year, but for sure up there.

17. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Ellis or Biedrins. Biedrins had no post game last year, he would get his points off offensive boards and easy passes from Baron and got in foul trouble easy. Ellis improved so much. He's learning a lot about the PG spot, he's playing back up for the Warriors most of the time and is averaging 17 ppg.

18. playaofthegame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redneck @ Apr 5 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I like Al Jefferson, but I think the fact that Boston sucks kills his chances of getting the award. It's a lot easier to be good on a team that sucks, than it is to be good on a team thats good. while for the most part everyone on this list, except for Williams, are on losing teams, their teams are a lot better than Boston. if Jefferson had been putting up those types of numbers all year long, I think he'd get it. because since he's been putting up those numbers Bostons actually been pretty good.</div>Yeah man I wasn't saying he really has a chance to win it..just saying he's really improved since the beginning of the season and I was just quoting Hollinger on thatThe thing is..Jefferson honestly just needed the minutesHe was averaging a little worse numbers than he is now with full time on the "per-40" stat last yearWe all knew he could be this good..just needed the minutes

19. mAAAbs

mAAAbs BBW Member

David Lee

20. Serge

Serge BBW Elite Member

Martin from the KingsDeron Williams