Dallas Mavericks @ Denver Nuggets

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by CelticBalla32, Apr 6, 2007.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div align="center">[​IMG] <span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">@</span> [​IMG]April 6, 2007 - 10:30 pm ET<span style="color:#FF0000">Game on ESPN</span></div><span style="color:#000099">Dallas Mavericks</span> <span style="color:#3333FF">(62-12)</span>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]<span style="color:#3333FF">PG</span> <span style="color:#000099">Jason Terry</span> <span style="color:#3333FF">SG</span> <span style="color:#000099">Devin Harris</span> <span style="color:#3333FF">SF</span> <span style="color:#000099">Josh Howard</span> <span style="color:#3333FF">PF</span> <span style="color:#000099">Dirk Nowitzki</span> <span style="color:#3333FF">C</span> <span style="color:#000099">Erick Dampier</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Key Bench Players:</span> <span style="color:#000099">Jerry Stackhouse, Greg Buckner, DeSagana Diop, Deaven George, Austin Croshere</span><span style="color:#00BFFF">Denver Nuggets</span> <span style="color:#FFCC00">(38-36)</span>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]<span style="color:#FFCC00">PG</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Steve Blake</span> <span style="color:#FFCC00">SG</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Allen Iverson</span> <span style="color:#FFCC00">SF</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Carmelo Anthony</span> <span style="color:#FFCC00">PF</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Nene</span> <span style="color:#FFCC00">C</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Marcus Camby</span> <span style="color:#FFCC00">Key Bench Players:</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">J.R. Smith, Linas Kleiza, Reggie Evans, Yakhouba Diawara</span> Injury Report<span style="color:#3333FF">DAL:</span> <span style="color:#000099">Dirk Nowitzki is a gametime decision (stomach virus)</span><span style="color:#3333FF">DAL:</span> <span style="color:#000099">DJ Mbenga is out for season (torn ACL)</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">DEN:</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Eduardo Najera will not play (left tibia contusion)</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">DEN:</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Kenyon Martin is out for season (recovering from microfracture surgery)</span> Who To Watch Out For[​IMG]<span style="color:#000099">Dirk Nowitzki</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Season Stats: 24.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 3.4 apg</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#000099">Josh Howard</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Season Stats: 19.5 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.8 apg</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#000099">Jason Terry</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Season Stats: 17.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 5.3 apg</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#00BFFF">Carmelo Anthony</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">Season Stats: 29.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 3.8 apg</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#00BFFF">Allen Iverson</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">Season Stats: 26.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 7.4 apg, 2.0 spg</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">As A Nugget: 25.0 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 7.4 apg, 1.9 spg</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#00BFFF">Marcus Camby</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">Season Stats: 11.4 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.1 bpg</span> Rookie Watch[​IMG] <span style="color:#3333FF">DAL:</span> <span style="color:#000099">Joe Juan Barea</span><span style="color:#000000">Overall Selection: Undrafted</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Season Stats:</span> <span style="color:#000099">1.1 ppg</span>[​IMG] <span style="color:#3333FF">DAL:</span> <span style="color:#000099">Pops Mensah-Bonsu</span><span style="color:#000000">Overall Selection: Undrafted</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Season Stats:</span> <span style="color:#000099">1.7 ppg, 0.9 rpg</span>[​IMG] <span style="color:#FFCC00">DEN:</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Yakhouba Diawara</span><span style="color:#000000">Overall Selection: Undrafted</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">Season Stats:</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">4.5 ppg, 1.8 rpg</span><span style="color:#000099">Dallas's X-Factor</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#000099">Devin Harris</span><span style="color:#3333FF">Season Stats: 9.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.7 apg</span><span style="color:#3333FF">As A Starter: 10.3 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.9 apg</span><span style="color:#000099">Harris' defense on Iverson will be huge. Nobody is going to "shut AI down," but if Harris can somwaht contain him and bother his shots, then that would be huge for Dallas.</span><span style="color:#00BFFF">Denver's X-Factor</span>[​IMG]<span style="color:#00BFFF">Marcus Camby</span><span style="color:#FFCC00">Season Stats: 11.4 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.1 bpg</span><span style="color:#00BFFF">Camby needs to do what he does best: rebound and play defense. But he will need to play Dirk a little tonight, and that's no easy assignment. That takes Camby away from the basket, because he has to come out to guard him (when he's on him). Camby needs to work really hard tonight.</span> <div align="center">Key Matchup[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]<span style="color:#000099">Josh Howard</span> <span style="color:#000000">vs.</span> <span style="color:#00BFFF">Carmelo Anthony</span></div><span style="color:#000000">Two All-Star forwards going head-to-head. Howard is a pretty good defender, we all know that, but he's going to have a tough time with Melo. Melo can score in any way, shape or form. He can take it inside, he has a mid-range game, if you leave him open from 3 he can hit it, and he uses his body to get to the line. Howard is a bit more athletic, however, and he's quicker. He'll make Melo come out and have to play solid defense. This should be an interesting one.</span> CelticBalla's Extra Thoughts/NotesThis is such an interesting matchup, it will be interesting to see how Dallas starts out the game. What I like about this matchup is if Denver starts running and gunning, we all know Dallas can counter that. If Dallas controls the pace of the game, however, and emphasizes a halfcourt set, they'll have a better chance at winning this one. Denver isn't half as effective if their running game is slowed down. Dallas' defense is key in this game, and I think they will get it done. CelticBalla's PredictionThis will be a good one, but I think Dallas is going to take it. I think their defensive pressure is going to kill Denver, and I don't think they'll be able to get back into it once Dallas starts turning it on. I wouldn't be extremely surprised if Denver did win this game, if they get out running for 48 minutes, but I don't see it happening.

2. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

Dallas will win this game unless they do not show up to play, obviousely. Dallas is the better squad, they have more veterans, the play smarter basketball, and they can easily keep up with the Nuggets pace and still get some defensive stops. It will be exciting to see Carmelo Anthony and Josh Howard go at it. An exciting matchup for two maturing all-star SF's who are both very capable of putting up numbers.

3. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

I wonder who is Denver going to put on Dirk, defensively. Should they put Camby on Dirk, because some of Camby's game is playing out on the perimeter, hitting 15-20 ft jumpers.. or should they put a smaller, but strong and tough-nosed guy like Nene on him. I think Camby should be on Dirk, because his long arms and length will just bother Dirk, defensively.

4. Strike3

Strike3 BBW Elite Member

Should be great game if the Nuggets played like they did last night

5. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zards @ Apr 6 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder who is Denver going to put on Dirk, defensively. Should they put Camby on Dirk, because some of Camby's game is playing out on the perimeter, hitting 15-20 ft jumpers.. or should they put a smaller, but strong and tough-nosed guy like Nene on him. I think Camby should be on Dirk, because his long arms and length will just bother Dirk, defensively.</div>I'd definetely go with Nene. He's faster than Camby and shoudl be a good matchup for Dirk. Camby could bother Dirk, that is true but I think that Nene's athletecism will bother Dirk's jump shooting. BTW, what does Camby's offensive game have to do with his defensive game Zards.

6. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

Really interesting game. Should be high scoring and uptempo. I'm actually going to pick Denver with the upset. they have been playing well as of late, and this could be a game where the Mavs come out sleep walking like they did vs Chicago awhile back.

7. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nitro1118 @ Apr 6 2007, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Really interesting game. Should be high scoring and uptempo. I'm actually going to pick Denver with the upset. they have been playing well as of late, and this could be a game where the Mavs come out sleep walking like they did vs Chicago awhile back.</div>Well the truth is that Denver doesn't play well for more than three games in a row. They are a very inconsistent squad. Also, the Mavs are probabely not going to go at 100% against this Denver squad as they have pretty much sealed the #1 seed at this point and want to rest their roster for the playoffs so it an upset is a possibility but even so Dallas's bench is very deep.

8. Opal

Opal Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nitro1118 @ Apr 6 2007, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Really interesting game. Should be high scoring and uptempo. I'm actually going to pick Denver with the upset. they have been playing well as of late, and this could be a game where the Mavs come out sleep walking like they did vs Chicago awhile back.</div>I agree. I am picking the Nuggets. I think they will get out of the gates quick with the tempo high like they want it and Dallas will be fighting back the whole game. They will put Nene on Dirk I bet, he is the most athletic big man they have, I think he will do ok on him. Camby might be on him some, but I think Najera will more than him also.Howard vs. 'Melo should be a good one, but I see 'Melo scoring 25ish. AI I think will be the one to go off with over 30. Hopefully Kleiza can play good on National TV like he usually does, we will need him for some extra scoring.

9. mavsfan1000

mavsfan1000 BBW Elite Member

I expect both Howard and Dirk to have big games. Heck Terry might have a big game as well. Denver has no stoppers at the positions where Dallas's best scorers are. Nene is NOT quick enough to stay with Dirk. Prediction: Mavs win 110-99.

10. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Apr 6 2007, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd definetely go with Nene. He's faster than Camby and shoudl be a good matchup for Dirk. Camby could bother Dirk, that is true but I think that Nene's athletecism will bother Dirk's jump shooting. BTW, what does Camby's offensive game have to do with his defensive game Zards.</div>Nene faster than Camby? I don't know about that one. Camby is athletic too, that's why the man pulls down near 12 rebounds a game. He's old, but he is athletic. I don't think you understood what I meant. For example, Brendan Haywood gets most of his points in the paint, he doesn't take 15-20 ft jumpers. If Haywood is assigned to KG, that'd be a pretty bad matchup. Haywood won't come out and can't come out 20 feet if KG is open. The point is, Nene can't guard people who can shoot from the perimeter. He's a banger, Camby can, because his game is from there, and he can play inside or outside.

11. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

Dallas is going to win this one by 7-8 points, they killed us in every game we played against them this season. With the exception of 1 game, they ALWAYS score a ton of points on Denver. I'm not feeling too confident about this one at all, we need to keep Dallas under 100 points for anything good to happen. Steve Blake better NOT be guarding Jason Terry, I will shoot myself.

12. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mavsfan1000 @ Apr 6 2007, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I expect both Howard and Dirk to have big games. Heck Terry might have a big game as well. Denver has no stoppers at the positions where Dallas's best scorers are. Nene is NOT quick enough to stay with Dirk. Prediction: Mavs win 110-99.</div>I think that prediction is pretty accurate. Denver does not have any answers defensively to Dallas. I don't see anybody being able to cover Dirk, and if Carmelo gets in foul trouble defending Howard... well, then Denver is in big, big trouble.I wouldn't be surprised if George Karl took Steve Blake out of the starting line-up tonight and put in Kleiza just so that they have better defensive match-ups out of the gate. However, either way I don't like the match-ups for Denver.Denver usually starts out hot, but slow down in the second half. I see the same thing happening tonight.

13. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zards @ Apr 6 2007, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nene faster than Camby? I don't know about that one. Camby is athletic too, that's why the man pulls down near 12 rebounds a game. He's old, but he is athletic. I don't think you understood what I meant. For example, Brendan Haywood gets most of his points in the paint, he doesn't take 15-20 ft jumpers. If Haywood is assigned to KG, that'd be a pretty bad matchup. Haywood won't come out and can't come out 20 feet if KG is open. The point is, Nene can't guard people who can shoot from the perimeter. He's a banger, Camby can, because his game is from there, and he can play inside or outside.</div>The offensive games of players really doesn't have alot to do with their defensive games. Haywood won't go outside the paint to get a guy like KG, KG has way too much athletecism. Camby doesn't make his own jump shot, it's usually fed to him. Nene is more athletic than Camby, we've seen Nene's body control all thetime on both ends of the court. I stand by Nene.

14. Point Blank

Point Blank BBW Member

It should be a good game.

15. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

Actually Zards, Nene has developed a very consistent 15-18 foot jumper from the wing which he uses fairly often. He'll also run out on perimeter shooters, but you're right in saying he is more effective defensively when he's under the basket or in the post. When he is attacking the boards, Denver is that much more dangerous.

16. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I think these referees are blind...

17. mavsfan1000

Denver actually focused on defense tonight. Too bad they can't score. lol

18. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

I can't believe how low the scoring is right now, that doesn't happen with these two teams very often.

19. mavsfan1000

Well Dallas is more defensive oriented now that George is in place of Howard. Harris and George are great defenders. Unfortunately Dallas can't score now.

20. mavsfan1000

No one on Dallas can hit a shot. Dallas definitely misses Howard. One of the worse shooting games all year for the Mavs.