Warriors' Thompson seeks extension, ignores trade rumors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by truebluefan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Klay Thompson just finished a four-day trip to Istanbul and plans to spend a week fishing in Mexico before reporting to Las Vegas for the U.S. basketball team's training camp next month.

The Warriors' shooting guard hopes that completes his travels for a while.

The focus of a number of trade rumors involving a potential swap for Minnesota's Kevin Love this summer, Thompson brushed off the scuttlebutt during a recent interview with The Chronicle, reiterating his desire to sign a contract extension with the Warriors this offseason.

"First off, it'd be a dream come true if I was able to sign an extension. Whether it happens or not, I know I'm a fortunate man to be in the NBA," said Thompson, who did community service, worked at youth basketball camps and hosted a three-on-three tournament in Turkey. "I'm excited about the Warriors' franchise. I think we're becoming one of the premier franchises in the NBA. It's awesome to be part of it. ... I'm going to try to get better and do everything that I can to keep this organization on an upward trend."

Heading into his fourth season, during which he'll be paid about $4.5 million, one of the game's best two-way guards is due a big payday. Thompson's agent, Bill Duffy, and Warriors general manager Bob Myers may discuss an extension between July and next season's opener in October - a deal that owner Joe Lacob said will "unequivocally" get done.

It was an unpopular decision to fire head coach Mark Jackson, but any ill thoughts seem to have been quieted when the Warriors made the coup of hiring Steve Kerr, who was believed to be headed to New York.

- See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/artic...trade-rumors-308657.html#sthash.gLwyQcc9.dpuf