Would melo instead of Batum make us better?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PDXFonz, Jun 20, 2014.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I've eased up in melo a bit. At first I didn't want him, now I wouldn't mind having him. He needs to not be the first option if he wants to win a championship.

Perhaps they could make it work, and perhaps he is one of the free agents that dame and la talked to during all star week?

2. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

If I'm Olshey I might be giving him a jingle if that was the case. See where Melo's mind set is.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I don't know - Melo has not really been a winner, he's worn out his welcome in a couple of places and now he's starting to age.

5. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I think it's debatable. The guy can score, but do we really need more scoring? He'd kill the ball movement on offense, and that was the team's biggest strength last season and the reason we won 54 games. He's a worse passer and worse defender than Nic. If we could get him and keep our five starters that would be a huge upgrade to our bench, but I don't see any way that could happen cap wise.

BNM

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Yes.

But if people think Batum is overpaid, Melo will command a max contract for max years.

If the Blazers can win the Melo sweepstakes . . . well I would be amazed with Olshey.

7. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

The Chicago Bulls are the most likely landing spot for Carmelo Anthony, a league source told SNY.TV and The Knicks Blog. Assuming he follows through with his plan to opt-out by Monday’s deadline, Anthony could either sign with the Bulls for less money than he is due to make with the Knicks ($129 million over five years) or be moved to Chicago in a sign-and-trade deal

8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I think melo is a great enough athlete that if he wasn't asked to do everything, he could do what ever he is asked to do really well. Melo has always been forced to be the scorer and often a ball handler. It's hard to be asked to do everything on one end of the floor and then be the best defender out there.

In my eyes melo in portland would give us that 3rd have to double player that would make us an elite team. I love everything nic brings and won't be disappointed if the s5 stays the same, however he's never going to be doubled. A s5 of dame, Wes, Anthony, lma, and Lopez would be the best s5 in the nba with 3 all stars, 2 players arguably top 3 at their position, and LMA who is still the best pf in the nba.

9. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

No

The Blazers are much better with Batum and his 14.5 PER in the playoffs

10. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

This thread is catnip for this guy.

How about Batum's USG in the playoffs? How did Anthony do in the playoffs this year?

11. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

When asking that question, you need to be also asking what made this team what it was last year? It was it's chemistry. Batum was a big reason for that. He and Wes and Dame all seem to get along and are like brothers. Remove him and replace him with Melo. Is the chemistry as strong? No. Would Melo alter the effects of the chemistry? Probably.

I think the team could use another great player on the team. I would love to see it. And If Melo was just a lil bit different, I wouldnt mind him. But he's not and I think whatever made this team last year would be gone with him on the team.

Think of New York before the Melo trade and New York after the trade. The knicks were a better club before Melo than they were after. It's a fact.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're kidding right? Melo is gunner. Ain't nobody ever forced him to score....

13. BigGameDamian

New York Knicks is not the Portland Blazers though. I think the Knicks rushed the team into trying to be really good and it didn't work. You can't blame that all on Carmelo.

14. OneLifeToLive

What made D'antoni's offense effective? Ball Movement. It was great before Melo showed up. The team had great chemistry and they were 60% of their games. When Carmelo showed up, the offense stymied. They won 50% of their games with less chemistry.

Now ask yourself this question, what makes Stott's offense effective?

15. BigGameDamian

It doesn't mean he's going to be shitty on the next team. It all starts from the top not with the player.

16. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Forced in the sense that he is the only one who can do it, not forced as in he has to be told to do it even though he doesn't want to.

Melo has gone through enough that I think he's going to do what ever it takes to win, whether that means less money, less of the role, or a small market. I dint think there are any factors other than winning to melo right now.

17. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I hate Melo. But no doubt in my mind that the answer is yes. Of course it will never happen in a million years, but sure if you add one of the best scorers in the world to this team...we are better. We can always change the coach and the offense.

18. OneLifeToLive

As an individual player he's far from being s----. He's got mad skills and talent. It's when you include or ask him to play in the team concept.

But who knows, maybe he's ready mature and open himself up for more. And if he's at that stage, Phil would take notice and he wouldn't let him go.

19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

He's always been asked to be the team, not play with the team. Look how he plays with team usa. Guy is crazy if all the weight isn't on his shoulders.

20. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Phil has no say in the matter. He has been trying to keep him. But when you are a UFA you have all the power.