Kelvin Cato (APOW)

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Amare320, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Amare320

Amare320 BBW Banned

1st. If you don't know.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ok well at the start of each week im going to pick a current NBA player or Former NBA/ABA Player and post some general infomation about him (stats, bio, etc) kind of like a mini review, it's not a article nor a masterpiece ok. What's the point in this you ask? It' is that I think it will be intresting for everyone here at BBW to appreciate a individual who plays or had played pro basketball whether there a rookie or a hall of famer and then give there opinions and general thoughts on them and so on, I really don't see the bad in taking some time to look at a player and see what they have accomplished.*If a moderater wishes to move this, that is okay, this is an acceptable topic which has a point to it so I do not think it should be deleted. If it's okay then each week I will follow this up with another NBA Player which will consist of a more detailed write up each week. </div>Kelvin Cato - Amare's Playa of the Week.[​IMG]CenterHeight: 6-11; Weight: 275College: Iowa State '97Born: August 26, 1974 in Atlanta, GeorgiaHigh School: Lithonia (Georgia)Pro Experience: 9th NBA SeasonIn CollegePlayed one year at South Alabama before transferring to Iowa State for his junior and senior seasons and set the Iowa State career blocked shots record with 189 blocks in 55 games (a 3.44 average) and was named Third Team All-Big 12 Conference as a senior after averaging 11.3 points and a team-high 8.4 rebounds and his team-leading 4.21 blocks per game ranked him fifth in NCAA Division I and as a senior, set the school single-season blocked shots record with 118, including a school single-game record 11 blocked shots against Texas-Pan American and named MVP of the Nike Desert Classic his senior season. Scout Report (1997)Kelvin Cato has seen his stock soar in the past month by having very strongshowing at the Potsmith Invitational. Although he is not a great offensivethreat, his shot blocking and rebounding skills have made him a probablelottery pick. Cato never played high school ball and saw his first minutesat South Alabama where he led his conference in blocked shots beforetransfering to Iowa State where he helped in taking the Cyclones toback-to-back NCAA tounaments. As a ProfessionalSelected by Dallas in the first round of the 1997 NBA Draft (15th pick overall) then traded to Portland on June 25, 1997, for the draft rights to Chris Antsey. Cato averaged 3.8 points, 3.4 rebounds and a team-leading 1.27 blocks in 13.7 minutes per game as a Blazers rookie during the 1997-98 season and his total of 94 blocked shots was the third-highest total ever by a Blazers rookie. Recorded 14 points, nine rebounds and seven blocked shots in his first career start vs. Philadelphia on Dec. 30, 1997. While in the Schick Rookie Game during the 1998 NBA All-Star Weekend in New York Cato scored 9 points. At one point Kelvin Cato was tied for second in the NBA in shot block efficiency, rejecting 4.9 shots over a 48-minute projection in his second year. In 1999 he was traded to the Houston Rockets along with other players for Scottie Pippen who was being sent to the Blazers, Cato found that houston was right for him and signed a contract extension that year. In 01-02 season he had started 73 of 75 games for Houston proving that he was a worthy of the starting position there, he averaged 6.6ppg, 7rpg and 1.3bpg in 25 mintues while shoting 58.3% from the field that year, he then continued to averaged decent numbers in Houston while he helped the Rockets get to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. He had been traded to the with Steve Francis to the Orlando Magic for Tracy McGrady, etc 'Kelvin Cato continued being a soild center and had arguably one of his best seasons of his career with the Magic in the 04/05 season but after this he strugled to play decently and his playing minutes went down significantly as he battled shoulder injuries. He was traded to the Pistons last season but did not end up playing much. He signed with the New York Knicks in the 2006 off-season and has been at the end of the bench of un active for most of the season.Stats[​IMG]In the PlayoffsPlayed in the postseason in each of his first two NBA seasons. Has playoff averages of 3.2 ppg, 2.9rpg & 0.6bpg in 21 games having started in 5 of them. His best averages in the playoffs were in 2004 as he averaged 30mpg, 7rpg, 6ppg.[​IMG]PersonalFull name is Kelvin T. Cato and wrote the children's books "h.o.o.p." and "t.e.a.m.w.o.r.k." and parents are Donald and Carolyn Cato. Career High in Points (27) vs. Boston 12/18/99 Career High in Rebounds (18) vs. Memphis 12/04/04Unbelievable fluky dunk by Cato http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj1DV4bLogkMy Thoughts On Kelvin CatoWell I do remember this guy playing fairly well with the Rockets quite awhile back, a very strong player that could matchup against the strongest of centers in the league and he would defended them decently to. When he got traded to the Magic, I noticed him more over his first season with them, I really liked him there even though I knew he wasen't the greatest or going to be good in the long term, I would of liked to see him stay there a bit longer and trying to avoid injurys, im sure he would of been a minor contributer at the least. He's currently signed with the Knicks and hasen't been doing the best but im sure he's helping out in general with him being a veteran and all, he's 33 and well if he dosen't end up staying in New York then it's a possibility he may retire soon after or he may decide to sign with a team that has a chance at winning a championship later on in his career.What do you guys think of Kellllvin Catooooo, like do you have any memories of him? NBA jerseys of his? anything in general? thoughts guys.

2. Combs

Combs BBW Root *****

Very nice. Lets get these up for all the NBA players and have profiles [​IMG] Think ya could do 300 more? :brucelee: jk

3. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I'd like to see one on Khalid El-Amin

4. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

I'd like to see one on Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

5. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

Bison Dele? He fell off a ship and died for gods sake.

6. MaRdYC26

MaRdYC26 BBW Graphics Team

Mardy Collins FTW!!!!

7. yankshater213

yankshater213 BBW Elite Member

dino radja mother fuckers

8. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I forgot to post my thoughts...good job Amare, I didn't even realize Cato was considered a highly touted draft prospect. Christ, I didn't even know he was drafted. I thought he was like a Bo Outlaw random free agent.