Your opinions on the D-league?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by The Captain, Apr 10, 2007.

1. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

How do you feel about the Developmental League? I know I've heard some people say it's just a waste of time, others feel it is a great tool for young players to get experience. Some people say that the players could get more out of practicing with the big club instead of playing in the D-league.I am torn on the subject. A young player on a good team could go down there and get experience in real game situations. I feel if the Pistons were able to do this with Darko, he could have possibly panned out a bit in his first year instead of rotting on the bench sulking. Being in the D-leagues could help their confidence playing in a game because they are getting the reps instead of just working out with the pro team in practices.However, there are many flaws I see. Sending a player down in the D-league could hurt their confidence. It depends on the player's mindset. Also, the coaching staff down there could totally interfere with the NBA team's philosophy, as many teams share one D-league team. I also agree with Joe Dumars. He doesn't like the D-league because a player could get more teachings and help during the practices rather than playing with and against players of mediocre talent. A young player could work with the more experienced vets in the practices, get their help, as well as with the coaches who know more about the game than D-league coaches. I'm 50/50, unless some of you could convince me one way or another.

2. Marvinmartian

Marvinmartian BBW Elite Member

Well the Mavs have had some success over the last 2 years for sure with DLeague players.Marshall, Powell, Pops, Berrea have all been in the D League at one point or time, made some noise and moved up...Marshall and Powell actually did well enough to get a trade out of them.

3. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

well at the beginning of the season I was really in favor of sending Rondo to the D-League because he only played in garbage time and was on the bench virtually the whole gamein the D-League he could develop a jumper..his one major weaknessit wouldn't matter whether it was mediocre talent or not in that kind of sitationI think though there should be more D-League teams and instead of 3-teams per D-League team it should be cut down to 2..or have more draft rounds and instead of just cutting the players in the 3rd round and beyond send them down to the d-league and have each team have their own D-League team..kind of like the MLB has the AAA farm system

4. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I think the D-League is great, I love it. For guys that didn't get a chance to get on an NBA team, they can still play competitive basketball with NBA personnel looking over them at all times. I think it's great, and it helps the NBA evaluate unknown talent.As for teams being able to use the D-League, again, it's great. It allows them to ship their "raw" players down there, develop there skills, and actually get minutes in games. For guys like Gerald Green, for example, who just was too raw to play in the league in his rookie year, he got to go down there and get meaningful minutes. He got to work on his weaknesses, he got to actually play (confidence builder). I think it's a great system.

5. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

Due to cable, I am unable to see it, and therefore have no opinion of it.

6. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

The D-league is a great place for young and un-experienced players to hone their skills before coming to the NBA. Although the competetion is much less it has proven effective for guys like Matt Carrol, Jose Juan Barea, and even Andray Blatche.

7. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KMart? @ Apr 10 2007, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Due to cable, I am unable to see it, and therefore have no opinion of it.</div>You don't have to watch D-League games to have an opinion on whether it's a good system or not.

8. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

I think it's a good place for big men to develop because their skills can improve. I think it's also a good place to send a rookie that needs to work on one skill. I don't think it's a good place to send a weak player who is weak at more than one category.

9. iFR3SHi

iFR3SHi BBW Elite Member

D League is great. Young players play against tough competition and make some noise to join an NBA team. Also you get expirience with NBA sized players and how to make contact and draw the foul

10. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Apr 10 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You don't have to watch D-League games to have an opinion on whether it's a good system or not.</div>Yes. I could make a hunch about a system I haven't seen in two years based off statistics and general perception. By doing so, my opinion would be random ramble and completely useless.

11. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KMart? @ Apr 10 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes. I could make a hunch about a system I haven't seen in two years based off statistics and general perception. By doing so, my opinion would be random ramble and completely useless.</div>Watch the players that have come out of the D-league and how succesful they are. That will help you understand how the D-league helps players develop. It's also a place for players who are NBA-caliber but don't get much playing time due to young age to gain confidence, that's what Phil Jackson is doing with Farmar.BTW, just as we're talking about the D-league they're expanding to Fort Wayne.

12. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KMart? @ Apr 10 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes. I could make a hunch about a system I haven't seen in two years based off statistics and general perception. By doing so, my opinion would be random ramble and completely useless.</div>But you don't have to watch a D-League game to have an opinion on whether it's a good thing to have for bottom-tier players.

13. 808Hornetsfan

808Hornetsfan BBW VIP

I like the fact that the players can be called up at any time just like the minor leagues in hockey and baseball. I think the D-League deserves a little more exposure. We should acually have a thread that covers it because every D-League team has about 3 or 4 NBA teams to send up or recieve players. The Hornets have the Tulsa 66ers. :happy0144:

14. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Apr 10 2007, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>But you don't have to watch a D-League game to have an opinion on whether it's a good thing to have for bottom-tier players.</div>It's like this:If in the D-League, games consist of unselfish players who hustle and commit themselves to a more desperate game, and do it right, the D-League is a good thing.If in the D-League, games consist of selfish players who don't hustle and commit only their own premise, the D-League is not a good thing.I don't know which one is which, because I haven't seen the D-League in upwards of two years. If in the D-League, players receive good coaching and improve drastically as the season progresses, the D-League is a good thing.If in the D-League, players receive only the most desperate of teachers and show little progress as the season dwindles, the D-League is a bad thing.I don't know which one is which, because I haven't seen the D-League in upwards of two years.All I know about the D-League is that, wheras European Leagues are bringing in role players on the regular and stars every once in awhile, the D-League contributes role players in far too occasionally of fashion. By that regard, the D-League seems useless.But I wouldn't know, cause I have no idea how to judge the damn thing.

15. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

I like it because it keeps young players close to the NBA so your not picking out players for your team who are not playing competitive basketball. But I don't think the NBDL has had a big impact, most of the players are end of the bench players who have little impact on the game. For me, the NBDL is just there, don't really care about it at all.

16. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

I'm all for it.sure some players may be upset or rattled by being sent down, but I remember Gerald Green saying how much it helped him even though he didn't want to go down.If a player is gonna be so fragile as to allow a trip to the D-league affect him, would you really want him on your NBA team?It works so well for MLB & Hockey, it can only help the skills of young players get better IMO.best thing is to have a farm team for each NBA team with a coach that is part of the team's organization so that they are developing the players to be ready to contribute to the franchise.Otherwise, you may be looking at coaches trying to win more than develop the talent sent to them.

17. Stones

Stones BBW Member

Nice topic. I think the D-League is really good idea. A player playing meaningful minutes against pretty solid competition is much better, IMO, than never seeing any time on an NBA court. Sure, they could learn a lot in practices and such, and get "mentored" by the vets in the league if they stayed in the NBA. But, I think playing in an actual game, even against lower competition, is a better idea. My only complaint is the 2 year rule in which only rookies and sophmores can be sent to the D-league.

18. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stonesalltheway @ Apr 11 2007, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>My only complaint is the 2 year rule in which only rookies and sophmores can be sent to the D-league.</div>Well the D-league is the Developement League for young players honing their game before hopefully staying in the NBA. Not alot of teams are going to send veterans into the D-league anyways, if they have a veteran he'll probabely be good enough to play the minutes assigned to him in a game. I wouldn't be opposed to them raising it to 3 or 4 years but it's really meant for young players to develop.

19. Stones

Stones BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Apr 11 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well the D-league is the Developement League for young players honing their game before hopefully staying in the NBA. Not alot of teams are going to send veterans into the D-league anyways, if they have a veteran he'll probabely be good enough to play the minutes assigned to him in a game. I wouldn't be opposed to them raising it to 3 or 4 years but it's really meant for young players to develop.</div>Yeah, that's what I meant, like raising it a year or two. Because, if you're in your fifth or sixth year in the NBA, your team would hope you would be able to contribute to your team in some way.

20. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I like the idea of the NBDL. I just wish I could watch some of the games. They don't have a team anywhere near me in Massachusetts. Do they have radio/Tv coverage?