Best post-up point guard?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by The Captain, Apr 10, 2007.

1. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

My Cousin and I were just talking about this over AIM. He went with Baron Davis. I'm going with Billups.I have the benefit of watching every Pistons games, and when he really decides to post up, no one is going to stop him except a bigger guard like Baron or Kidd. He just has the size and agility to get it done down low. He's uses his strength to back them down, and is great at either fading away, going under, or passing it back out for an open three. Many times he gets double teamed which shows that other teams respect his abilities down low.Baron is a great choice as well, same with Kidd and Cassell.

2. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

1. Chauncey Billups2. Baron Davisinterchangeable. These guys are unstoppable in the post.

3. mavsfan1000

mavsfan1000 BBW Elite Member

Baron Davis is definitely the best at it. Billups doesn't post up that much.

4. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mavsfan1000 @ Apr 10 2007, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Baron Davis is definitely the best at it. Billups doesn't post up that much.</div>That's true. I think I might have to give the edge to Baron because Baron shoots 35% of his shots in the post and Billups only shoots 19% of his shots there. Baron shoots .657% in the post, whereas billups only shoots .589

5. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

Kidd is awesome in the post due to his size and the fact that he is great passing out of the post. Scoring wise, Billups and Davis are 2 of the best in the league at the PG position.

6. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

I saw Baron "post up" the other day at the Spurs game, and IMO, its not really posting up. I mean, he would play with his back to the basket, but all he would end up doing was a fade away jumpshot from 12-17 feet. If you call that posting up, then I guess he is the best.

7. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I'm going to have to go with Chauncey. Even though Baron may post up a bit more often than Chauncey does, I think Chauncey is more effective down there. It's close though, no doubt about it, Chauncey/Baron are certainly at the top of the list.Best post up point guard of the past 15 years? My man, Gary Payton, by far.

8. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

<span style="font-family:Arial">Andre Miller deserves to be mentioned, Sam Cassell as well.</span>

9. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

I'm going to stick with what seems to be the popular vote, Baron Davis. He's great at posting up then pulling out for a jumper in the paint. It's a really effective weapon for guards and can bother a defender especially smaller ones.

10. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

Chauncey Billups is the best in the league right now, but in their primes, Jason Kidd and Sam Cassell used posting up in such a way it is almost unparalleled in today's league.

11. The Legacy

The Legacy BBW Member

Jason Kidd is good in the post. Same with all the other guys you mentioned.All time HAS to be Magic Johnson. Guy was a beast in the post.

12. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Apr 10 2007, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I saw Baron "post up" the other day at the Spurs game, and IMO, its not really posting up. I mean, he would play with his back to the basket, but all he would end up doing was a fade away jumpshot from 12-17 feet. If you call that posting up, then I guess he is the best.</div>you're taking your opinion of the Warriors out of context though. The Warriors lost to the spurs by a combined 50 points in their last two outings, so to a spurs fan it would look like they were a weak team, however those two games were by far the worst two games the Warriors have had as a healthy team. The warriors have a win margin of 9.9 ppg against teams that aren't the spurs when healthy and a losing margin of 25 ppg against the spurs, so you clearly haven't seen the warriors at their best.

13. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BALLAHOLLIC? @ Apr 10 2007, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><span style="font-family:Arial">Andre Miller deserves to be mentioned, Sam Cassell as well.</span></div>Yeah, I agree on that. But I'm definitely going with Larry Hughes on this boys..... haha, Yeah just playing. I'm gonna go with Billups as well though.

14. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tHe_pEsTiLeNcE @ Apr 10 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you're taking your opinion of the Warriors out of context though. The Warriors lost to the spurs by a combined 50 points in their last two outings, so to a spurs fan it would look like they were a weak team, however those two games were by far the worst two games the Warriors have had as a healthy team. The warriors have a win margin of 9.9 ppg against teams that aren't the spurs when healthy and a losing margin of 25 ppg against the spurs, so you clearly haven't seen the warriors at their best.</div>What does that have to do with Baron posting up?

15. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Captain @ Apr 10 2007, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What does that have to do with Baron posting up?</div>it has to do with ballerman's opinions of the warriors in every thread, based on the games he saw them play the spurs, which is as relevant to this thread as any

16. junot111

junot111 BBW Elite Member

Yeah, but just because they're winning/losing, doesn't mean hes gonna play differently... thats like saying antoine walker doesn't really jack up 3s, u just havent seen him play against other teams

17. yankshater213

yankshater213 BBW Elite Member

Gary Payton was always great at backing guys down.

18. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (junot111 @ Apr 10 2007, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, but just because they're winning/losing, doesn't mean hes gonna play differently... thats like saying antoine walker doesn't really jack up 3s, u just havent seen him play against other teams</div>that is true for most players, but Baron's career is the story of two players. Sometimes he's a hard working 20-10 guy who knows how to drive, sometimes he's lazy and settles for the jumper every play.

19. 41nowitzness41

41nowitzness41 BBW Member

Baron Davis. The guy is so big and strong for a point guard that he can take his defenders down into the paint with ease. When he is down there he can hit the fadeaway, an easy lay-up, or dish it out to an open teammate with ease. Billups is good too.

20. Amare320

Amare320 BBW Banned

Baron Davis ^^^Also Billups is quite good at posting up other guards/players.