UFC on FOX 12: Lawler vs. Brown [Results]

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Jul 9, 2014.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

[​IMG]

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5" align="center">UFC on FOX 12: Lawler vs. Brown</td></tr><tr><td colspan="1" align="center">SAP Center, San Jose, CA</td><td colspan="3" align="center">26 July 2014
    </td><td colspan="1" align="center">5.30pm ET (UFC Fight Pass),
    6.00pm ET (FOX), 8.00pm ET (FOX)
    </td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Ruthless Robbie Lawler #1</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>170-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Matt The Immortal Brown #5</td></tr><tr align="center"><td colspan="5">5-round main event; welterweight title eliminator</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Anthony Rumble Johnson</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>205-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Antônio Rogério Minotouro Nogueira #7</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Clay The Carpenter Guida #7</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>145-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Dennis The Menace Bermudez #11</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Josh The Punk Thomson #3</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>155-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">King Bobby Green #13</td></tr><tr align="center"><td colspan="5"></td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Jorge Gamebred Masvidal #14</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>155-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Daron Detroit Superstar Cruickshank</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Tim The Dirty Bird Means</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>170-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Hernani Perpetuo</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Kyle Kingsbu Kingsbury</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>205-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Patrick Durkin Cummins</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Brian T-City Ortega</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>145-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Mike El Cucuy De La Torre</td></tr><tr align="center"><td colspan="5"></td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Akbarh Arreola</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>155-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Tiago dos Santos</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Steven Super Siler</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>145-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Noad Neo Lahat</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Andreas Stahl</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>170-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Gilbert Durinho Burns</td></tr><tr><td align="right" width="300">Joanna Jędrzejczyk</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td>125-lbs.</td><td>[​IMG]
    </td><td align="left" width="300">Juliana Ju-Thai Lima</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. speeds

Re: UFC on FOX 12: Lawler vs. Brown (Jul/26)

Apparently both the preliminary card and undercard will be shown on FOX for a change, with the pre-prelims on Fight Pass.

Eight fights? What's that with commercials, about six hours? I kid, this is good news. FOX is embracing more MMA content when it would not be shocking for them to be trimming down based on waning interest in the general public.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I forgot about this event. It sort of snuck up out of no where.

4. speeds

Michael Johnson out, replacement being sought

5. speeds

Bobby Green

6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Better card than 174...

7. speeds

Matt Brown and Juliana Lima didn't make weight. Neither fighter was allowed to try and cut more weight and neither fighter will be fined. The fights continue as scheduled. Lawler/Brown still considered a title eliminator.

8. speeds

Weigh-in results via MMA Junkie

MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Matt Brown (172.5)* vs. Robbie Lawler (171)
    Anthony Johnson (204.5) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (205.5)
    Dennis Bermudez (146) vs. Clay Guida (145)
    Bobby Green (155.5) vs. Josh Thomson (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX, 6 p.m. ET)

Daron Cruickshank (155.5) vs. Jorge Masvidal (155.5)
    Patrick Cummins (206) vs. Kyle Kingsbury (204.5)
    Tim Means (170.5) vs. Hernani Perpetuo (171)
    Mike De La Torre (146) vs. Brian Ortega (145.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 4:15 p.m. ET)

Akbarh Arreola (155.5) vs. Tiago dos Santos e Silva (155)
    Gilbert Burns (170) vs. Andreas Stahl (171)
    Juliana Carneiro Lima (116.5)** vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk (115)
    Noad Lahat (145) vs. Steven Siler (146)

* Due to a commission error, Brown will not be fined for missing weight.

** Lima was 117 pounds on her first attempt. But due to a commission error, she will not be fined for missing weight.

9. speeds

It's still really shocking to me that Matt Brown has clawed his way to the top of the division.

10. speeds

Results

Robbie Lawler def. Matt Brown via unanimous decision (49-46, 48-47, 48-47)
    Anthony Johnson def. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:44
    Dennis Bermudez def. Clay Guida via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:57
    Bobby Green def. Josh Thomson via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
    Jorge Masvidal def. Daron Cruickshank via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
    Patrick Cummins def. Kyle Kingsbury via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-25, 30-24)
    Tim Means def. Hernani Perpetuo via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    Brian Ortega def. Mike De La Torre via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:39
    Tiago Trator def. Akbarh Arreola via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
    Gilbert Burns def. Andreas Stahl via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    Joanna Jedrzejczyk def. Juliana Lima via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
    Noad Lahat def. Steven Siler via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

11. speeds

Bonuses: Lawler & Brown, Bermudez, Johnson

12. speeds

Hopefully Lawler vs. Brown won the UFC some casual fans back. Not much else going on tonight so this should've done well. The UFC pretty much got what they wanted from this main event except for a finish that White, Goldy, and Rogan should know better than to promise.

Pat Cummins has made up for a slightly embarrassing showing against DC with two solid wins in the UFC. Curious to see how he'd do against a ranked LHW. His wrestling game is strong.

Masvidal/Cruickshank was a little predictable. Cruickshank tends to win by finishing early; Masvidal only goes the distance. After the first round, Masvidal was the favourite, but he was lucky to escape it.

Green/Thomson was a strange one. Shows how little MMA I've watched this year that I wasn't able to pick a winner. I thought maybe the hometown fighter would have an edge with the judges. Green's histrionics were somewhat of a cover for the fact that his offence wasn't especially effective. Thomson didn't have his finest night either, though.

Bermudez/Guida was another predictable outcome. Bermudez is younger, stronger, faster, and a better wrestler and boxer than Guida. This was Guida's fourth loss in six and you could tell by his tears after the fight that losing is getting to him. He's not my favourite fighter but there should be a place for him in the UFC going forward. As for Bermudez, that's seven in a row, and he's right that he deserves a top ranked opponent. With Pettis holding the division hostage at the moment anything is in play. Wouldn't shock me to see him fight another streaking fighter like Myles Jury or Khabib Nurmagomedov next. Edit: forgot that Eagle is injured.

Anthony Johnson was in fucking beast mode tonight. Holy shit! He really took advantage of his reach. He made Lil' Nog look like a can. Evans and Teixeira are his immediate competition with both of those guys being title gatekeepers. Depending on how long Gusto is out I would imagine AJ is one fight away from his own title shot or, in emergency circumstances, ready now.

The main event was pretty competitive. Lawler and Brown are two guys who are just hard to keep down. You can't really say that Lawler didn't try and finish the fight, either. He hurt Brown on several occasions--he just doesn't rush in like he used to. I don't foresee a Hendro/Lawler rematch being different than the first fight but I won't begrudge the UFC for putting it together, either. As for Brown I could see him fighting someone like Jake Ellenberger next. I think it will be difficult for him to sustain his place near the top of the division but I should probably know better than to doubt him. In my gut it feels like he just caught fire at the right time but maybe he really is this good and just needed some good camps and the right opponents to showcase himself.

Having missed the decision-heavy preliminaries I would say that this was a good show and the UFC is on a very positive run lately. Bader vs. St. Preux is an unheralded event that lacks compelling fights so they have their work cut out for them in keeping up the momentum.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  13. Mamba

I haven't seen the fights yet, but looking forward to Lawler/Hendricks II, I don't see it being much different. If Hendricks is healthy biceps wise, I think he'll be able to utilize his wrestling more and win.

14. Mamba

Anthony Johnson needs Tiexiera or Gus.

15. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Anthony Johnson is a monster. Him vs Teixeria would be a GREAT Main Event for FS1 or FOX event.

16. speeds

Brian Ortega has tested positive for drostanolone. His win was overturned and he was fined and suspended.