5 Biggest NBA Dissapointments 2006-2007

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by GArenas, Apr 11, 2007.

1. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

What do you guys think were this seasons 5 biggest dissapointments?5. The Orlando Magic- After they went on a great streak at the end of last year, they started off the season at the top of the conference. However after 2006 was over so was the the Magic. Orlando completely fell apart when 2007 began and halfway through January lost the Southeast Division and at one point fell out of the playoffs. Right now they have a confident lead on the 8th seed of the playoffs.4. The New Orleans Hornets- Over the off-season the Hornets brought in a great shooter in Peja Stojackovic and a center who promised to turn around his game and actually did this season in Tyson Chandler. Those 2 along with the continued improvement of both David West and Chris Paul were supposed to bring the playoffs to the Hornets franchise. After starting out the season on a 4 game win streak injuries ravaged through the squad leaving them in too deep of a hole to fill before the playoff begin. Currently the Hornets techincally could still make the playoffs however it is unlikely at this point (but possible).3. The Dynamic Duo- When Iverson was traded to the Nuggets people belived they would be boosted up to where the Mavs/Spurs/Suns are. However by the time Melo returned from a suspension which was one month after AI arrived the Nuggets became ravaged by injuries including on to AI leaving the AI/Melo duo playing very little games together. Although right now the Nuggest have won 6 straight they have been a very inconsistent squad since the all-star break.2. The Boston Celtics- This year was supposed to be Pierce's return to the playoffs. They brought in a young PG who many believed could rock the league when he first came into the NBA (Telfair) and another young PG whom they drafted in Rajon Rondo. Many believed that although this squad was young their talent would still get them a late playoff seed. However the Celtics fell apart and became to center of "tank rumors" rather than fighting for a playoff berth.1. "The Old New Ball"- One of the big stories this off-season was this new ball that was supposed to improve the general handles in the NBA. However the ball created a plephora of complaints throughout the entire NBA. Players began complaining about papercuts and wierd bounces "Carter's Buzzer Beater", therefore they decided to change the ball halfway through the year cuasing even more frustration through the NBA due to the sudden change. Since then, we've heard very little about the Ball.__________With the season ending, what are your 5 biggest NBA dissapointments of 2006-2007.

2. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I agree with all of those except the AI/Carmelo thing. I don't understand why everybody thought they would become great instantly... even if they are playing well now, nobody can judge the trade until next season.But the #1 disappointment of this season: LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS. Enough said.

3. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigMo763 @ Apr 11 2007, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I agree with all of those except the AI/Carmelo thing. I don't understand why everybody thought they would become great instantly... even if they are playing well now, nobody can judge the trade until next season.But the #1 disappointment of this season: LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS. Enough said.</div>It was hard for me to choose wether to put in Hornets, Celtics, or Clippers. One of htem couldn't be in, ended up being the Clippers. However, the Clippers are well, the Clippers. [​IMG] There was alot of hype surrounding the AI/Melo duo. After the trade all ESPN was talking about was AI/Melo over and over and over again. Turns out it didn't turn out as amazing as everyone hoped this year. However this is a thread about this year BigMo.

4. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

Yeah, but when you consider everything that happened with Denver (injuries, suspensions, etc.), I think they did fairly well. Plus luckily for them its all coming together at the right time... although it likely won't mean anything since they will probably play SA in the first round.But about the Hornets, I don't know about that. They started off really well, but then injuries just decimated their chances at the playoffs. The Clippers were coming off a big season, and everybody expected them to build on what they did last year. Turns out, they took a step backwards instead. But yeah... I guess that's just because their the Clippers! [​IMG]

5. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>2. The Boston Celtics- This year was supposed to be Pierce's return to the playoffs. They brought in a young PG who many believed could rock the league when he first came into the NBA (Telfair) and another young PG whom they drafted in Rajon Rondo. Many believed that although this squad was young their talent would still get them a late playoff seed. However the Celtics fell apart and became to center of "tank rumors" rather than fighting for a playoff berth.</div>Yeah, I never really understood this. Maybe like a 7th or 8th spot when healthy. People got all excited over Telfair, the kid couldn't even cut it with Steve Blake and Juan Dixon. Ainge brought him in and started him right off the bat. Aside from a few night where he would score 25 points he didn't really do much. Those 25 point games also wasn't what Boston was looking for out of a point guard. Rondo/West played the point better than Telfair and everybody except for CB32(I commend CB32 for sticking by him :rock:) thinks he sucks. Theo Ratliff, which the organization played up like he was going to make some huge veteran input, flopped with a bad injury that was expected from people who know his history. Wally once again disappointed and got injured. And his one great aspect, shooting, was completely lost in the games before his injury. We also had numerous bad misfortunes. Red Auerbac & Dennis Johnson dying, Pierce's first real lengthy injury of his career. D-West and Gomes, key role players, had nagging injuries. Tony Allen has that idiotic torn ACL after a botched dunk after a play had been blown dead. We had the worst losing streak in the history of this organization. It was one thing after another. The only real positive was the emergence of Al Jefferson.This year has a been a disappointment but I don't think anyone expected Boston to win a sh*t load of games or anything.

6. Point Blank

Point Blank BBW Member

I wanted to purchase that ball but now I can't!

7. Diawsome

Diawsome BBW Elite Member

5. The Pacers - This is/was a team that has too much talent to be such a bad team. They for the first time in years finally stay relatively healthy but yet they still can not seem to avoid finding trouble outside the game of basketball. They also get rid of problem child Stephen Jackson and turn around to start losing games left and right. I haven't been able to watch much of them but IMO they have been tanking trying to avoid giving up that 1st rounder of theirs.4. The Lakers- yes they have had their share of injuries but even when healthy this team could never play consistent basketball. One day they would go out and take down an elite team such as the Spurs or Suns and the next game they fall flat on their face against the Bobcats.3. The Knicks - Not in the sense of their win-loss record but by the immature actions of some of the players on that team. They have a talented team that is full of egomaniacal morons that can't take a hit to their pride without trying to start something physically. They can't stop teams from scoring at will on them so they take it as a sign of disrespect and their opponent trying to run the score. See the Denver brawl and this recent incident with the Bulls.2. The New Old ball - I agree with everything said by the OP.1. Injuries - This just seems to be the year of injuries you have injuries to a multitude of key players (Shaq, Wade, Arenas, Yao, Boozer,....) and also more gruesome looking injuring (Livingston and Grabajosa) then in recent memory. The championship this season could realistically be decided not by who the best team is rather by which team will be healthy once the playoffs start. Arenas is gone, Wade is attempting to play through the postseason at no better then 50%, Dirk seemingly injures his ankle every other day and Nash is a well placed foul to back from going down as well.

8. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Diawsome @ Apr 11 2007, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>4. The Lakers- yes they have had their share of injuries but even when healthy this team could never play consistent basketball. One day they would go out and take down an elite team such as the Spurs or Suns and the next game they fall flat on their face against the Bobcats.</div>When the Lakers were healthy at the beggining of the season they were playing great basketball and beating some great teams. However, the injuries completely wrecked their chemistry and they haven't been healthy since the beggining of the season.

9. Diawsome

Diawsome BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Apr 11 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When the Lakers were healthy at the beggining of the season they were playing great basketball and beating some great teams. However, the injuries completely wrecked their chemistry and they haven't been healthy since the beggining of the season.</div>They were beating great teams like Phoenix, San Antonio and Utah but they were also losing to bad teams such as Portland, Seattle and Milwaukee. They were/are the perfect example of playing to the level of their competition, they got up for the big games but looked like they ignored the smaller games in the process. Also another reason I should have added on to them being on the list is that they have beaten only one team with a winning record since the all star break (2-26 @ Utah).

10. ballorama

ballorama BBW Member

IMO, I think the Clippers are a real disappointment.. They were supposed to make it further this year and compete with Dallas/SA/PHX but there struggling to get a spot in the offs'

11. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

I wish Orlando could be a little more of a disappointment. A lotto pick for the Pistons would be nice.

12. Michael Bryant

Michael Bryant BBW Elite Member

Clippers shouldn't be the biggest disapointment. I mean come on, they're the Clippers. Last year was a fluke. For a franchise that has fewer winning seasons than most teams have championships, the risk of missing the playoffs is nothing new.

13. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

New Jersey Nets. Last year they did awesome without much in terms of role players. This year they got an influx of some very good role players...Mikki Moore, Bostjan Nachbar, Eddie House, etc...yet they have had a horrible and very inconsistent year. Even when Krstic and RJ were healthy they were under .500. I feel Lawrence Frank is to blame, he has done a horrible job of creating offensive schemes for his players.

14. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

We've had these types of threads before.....I'll name some:New Jersey Nets - Everyone expected them to easily take the Atlantic Division, they had three great players in Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, and Richard Jefferson. They had won the division the past 2 years, and everyone expected them to win it again. They also have a good defense, and solid coaching too....I honestly still don't completely understand what happened in the early going....but after Richard Jefferson and Nenad Krstic got hurt, they sort of declined, and no one talked about them any more.Boston Celtics - With all this young talent to go along with Paul Pierce and a good perimeter shooter in Wally Szczerbiak (how the hell do you spell that guy's name?), alot of people expected them to make the playoffs. But they were stung with injuries, they didn't have any Centers for a long time, they went on that huge losing streak when Paul Pierce went out, Tony Allen went out for the year after tearing a ligament after attempting that dunk...It's just been a disastrous season. But if they can get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, their hopes will certainly glimmer again....They are, in alot of people's minds, the team with the best future in the NBA....and I agree with that also. With this group of young talent, plus a top 3 pick, they are going to win some ball games in the future.New Orleans Hornets - Everyone expected them to win this year. It was common sense. If they could come so close to making the playoffs last year, they would make it for sure this season with an improved Chris Paul, who was last year's rookie sensation, and the additions of sharpshooter scorer Peja Stojakovic, and tough rebounder Tyson Chandler....But Peja got injured, Tyson Chandler is a horrible offensive player, Chris Paul also spent some time on the DL...They were terrible for a while, and that kind of ruined their playoff chances.Milwaukee Bucks - I know they weren't expected to be that good, but alot of people had them clinging onto an 8th seed for this year's playoffs. Well now, they are the 3rd worst team in the NBA. They have a talented starting 5 in Mo Williams, Michael Redd, Ruben Patterson (it was Bobby Simmons before he got injured before the season), Charlie V, and Andrew Bogut....But alot of those guys were in and out of the starting lineup, they don't have a great bench besides Charlie Bell, and they certainly have some chemistry issues on that team. I do not know why they are the 3rd worst team in the NBA....everything just self destructed on them.Minnesota Timberwolves - Alot of you might not agree with me...but I had them as a playoff team before the season started. I don't know what to say about this team...I don't know if they know how to win...honestly...they have solid rookies in Randy Foye and Craig Smith, a top 5 PF in KG, a potent offensive threat with an all around game in Ricky Davis, and a sharp shooting scorer point in Mike James....I guess they just don't have good chemistry....I don't know...I don't know what is up with this team.

15. Trail_Blazer

Trail_Blazer BBW Member

I've also gotta go with the Clippers.... Whatta complete disappointment, honestly. I don't see last year as a fluke (though it looks to be that way), I think they really gelled, they brought in Cassell... They've got Brand and Maggette, and a promising guard in Livingston (before his injury)... Even so, they've just REALLY been under-achieving and a complete disappointment for fans of the "Clipper Nation" [​IMG]

16. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I would probably say the Milwaukie Boguts, they have a lof talent on that team but injuries pretty much killed them. They also don't really have the one big dominant big guy but still Charlie V, Mo Williams, Bogut, Charlie Bell, Earl Boykins, Ruben, Michael Redd. The bucks have some great role players and Michael Redd is obviously nasty. I thought they would do far better than being on par with Celtics.

17. mAAAbs

mAAAbs BBW Member

I would definitely have to go with the New York Knicks. I was hoping they would win 25 games, so Isiah could get fired, but they won about 35 games, so Isiah has a brand new four year extension!Isiah sucks!!!Sell The Knicks!!!F*ck Dolan!!!

18. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

I'm not going to mention the Clippers. They are still fighting for a playoff seed, and the last I saw, they were tied with GS for the 8th seed...Just for the record, I hope Golden State wins it just because of their playoff drought...But Im not going to mention a potential playoff team as a huge dissapointment in the West....unless they are one of the top 3...(Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio)...

19. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

not a team disappointment but IMO overall Boris Diaw has been a disappointment...he had a huge breakout year last year and I expected him to continue to improve but honestly he hasn't improved that much and IMO has declined this year immensely

20. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Apr 13 2007, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>not a team disappointment but IMO overall Boris Diaw has been a disappointment...he had a huge breakout year last year and I expected him to continue to improve but honestly he hasn't improved that much and IMO has declined this year immensely</div>yeah, it's because Amare came back so they didn't need Diaw much anymore.And of course he got fat.