Austin Malaota

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by STOMP, Jul 15, 2014.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

6'1 313

but but but... Oregon didn't sign any big boy Nose Tackles :crazy:

STOMP

2. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Well then...I am a bit concerned. DIdn't he recruit to us at like, 250? Is this bad weight?

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Helfrich relayed at the Feb recruiting presser that Austin weighed 291 when he visited in the fall, so he's gained 22 lbs in the last 6 months.

The other HS 300 pounders you're aware of, how long do you think they've weighed that? 3 months? A year? Austin just turned 17... hell, I grew 8" after I turned 17. While thats outside the norm, not many HS kids are filled out physically as they will be by the time they're 20. Testosterone is pumping at that age, so most guys naturally gain substantial good weight. Looking forward to seeing coach Rad work with him

STOMP

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    "Displayed a relentless motor ..."

I liked this part.

5. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Well Maloata is an interesting story, yes at 6'1 and now 313 he sure could play NT. However when he was recruited at 6'3 and 248 by USC only playing to date as a SDE many would think it would've been a far stretch for him to shrink 2 inches and gain over 60 pounds of muscle in under a year. So the intel hasn't been the best on him. Even the Oregonian suggested he'd be lucky to ever reach 280 + with his frame and height. They suggested he'd be a true DE at best. Maloata has been a surprise for the honest "nor" a NG recruit as advertised on this thread. The other question being glossed over here by people who show less having played football knowledge by the moment, is can he play NG? See when you're coming off an edge you use your speed to your benefit, at the DT/NG position you're a gap monster that must be able to take on a double and get through it consistently especially running a 3-4; or at the very least not get blown off your heels like our D line did against Stanford for the last 2 years. You just don't wake up and learn that type of leverage, technique and aggression overnight like some people who brag routinely about 8 inch growth spurts over a summer.

Now would it be great if this kid could get this NG position down? Absolutely! Expect a learning curve, and this muscle pack he's cranking on is a bit concerning, 40+ pounds of pure muscle in under 6 months would be hard for the strictest of power lifters to achieve NATURALLY! I'll give him the Samoan 20 but if this kid gets to 315 by fall it's a warning flag.

All that said, a 6'1 300 pound aggressive Samoan on your D line is always a good damn thing to have!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

If he gains 2 pounds in the next few months it's a warning flag? We're going to have to stack this pearl of wisdom right next to you knowing more about football then all the Duck coaches, swim blocks all the delightful others. Again though, in the 6+ months since he took an OV he's gained 22 pounds, not 40+

Given the Duckies solid depth along the DLine, this season (barring injuries) I expect Austin to get mop up duty if anything. Most Freshman benefit from a Redshirt season which gives them time to get up to speed with the college game. Hopefully thats the case for him as well

STOMP

7. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

HAHAHA! Swim blocks or techniques are common knowledge on any D Line uniformed! Do the world a favor just keep upchucking what you read on pay sites and leave defense to people who know the difference! Seriously you have not ever played this game and it shows soooooooo much!

Hey maybe Wogan can turn into a safety cause he's 6'2? HAHAHAHA!

What we know about Maloata on pretty much every site that is credible is his stats have all been 270-75 prior to being a Duck now he's 310 in under six months from USC losing interest in him. So let's agree that at least 30 pounds have been gained since Feb? Unlike a speculative height spurt, this is muscle! That's rare for the short amount of time needed to achieve that mass gain! No one truly knows if this kid is 300+ but I'd suggest it would raise an eyebrow to most that he could achieve that weight without living at Ben and Jerry's on a speed eat for 6 months. For those that have seen him he seems very fit, so I'd question if the weight is accurate by say 20 pounds.....

Course we all know that players sizes and weights fluctuate greatly till the NFL comes a calling!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  8. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

far from common, no one but you refers to any Defensive Line move as a swim block... it's a swim move! Of course everyone knows blocking is what the Offense tries to do to the D while the D-Line does stunts, bull rushes & various moves (like a swim or a spin move) to try to defeat the blocks. Reading your posts often requires deciphering this sort of confusion, which combined with the constant claims of expertise can be pretty funny! I also enjoy your attempts to insult me :-)

here's what google thinks about swim blocks

you provide a lot of laughs here, but I'll seriously bust a gut if you claim Mark Helfrich isn't a credible source. Austin visited Eugene in January, or 6 months ago, & committed shortly afterwords. When a recruit comes on an OV, teams weigh and measure them. Here is MH at the Oregon National Signing Day presser... he starts talking about Austin at 11:10.

[video=youtube;e_PVT3Fl16c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_PVT3Fl16c[/video]

STOMP

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  9. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Well for those who've actually used the move in football "which you never have" you block or "sweep" if you like that word better down the arm to either direction that helps you angle off the O lineman and then use a swim stroke like a freestyle past your opponent. That said you can't swim until you've blocked or swept the arm thus how we were taught swim block.

I'm sure you'll eagerly GOOGLE your own argument over word choice but everyone who's played, this game knows what I'm saying. But feeling important on an anonymous board is of paramount importance to you as your posts so clearly indicate. so have fun with that!

Coaches always say their players are heavier or bigger in press conferences, it's called strategy! Do you want USC or Stanford to know your D line is thin and undersized? If that weren't the case every top player that goes to the NFL wouldn't be so scrutinized in the combine over their measurements and many of them are bit different then their quoted college stats. I'm sure you know that too being as you probably Googled that too!

As for our D line it would be nice if Oregon's Achilles heel wasn't our lack of DT's and our ability to recruit top notch "TRUE DT's" not converted DE's which is a very hard transition. It's been a very long time since we had a Ngata type of player. I would suggest to you that Aiken isn't a great D line closer with recruits OR the 3-4 scheme we are attempting is just wrong ,wrong, wrong with our current personnel and it's detracting from our top talent wish list! If Oregon get pushed all over the field again up front on the D Line with North to South running his job may be in jeopardy. As it stand now this is a massively talented DT recruiting year and we have not 1! A top 10 school without a DT commit? That's very strange! You wont address that because you like to think any DE can make the move over if size and weight are achieved. This shows me you never played on a D line. It's a damn tough transition to go from athletic edge blitzing to taking on double teams using way less athleticism and far more power every play. That's why DT's are built a certain way.

Oregon's defensive strength is our secondary and usually our LB's up until last year primarily because those kids were so young. I expect a huge resurgence with the LB unit this year! That said no top 20 team fears Oregon's D line. Stanford, Alabama, LSU, MSU aren't losing sleep on that side of the ball for us. Bend don't break hopefully under Pellum will turn into Beat Down. Time will tell!

Now as for you saying "WE" this and "WE" that around here Stomp, this is not your board! We is "YOU" or do you suffer multiple personality disorder? There are a few posters here you haven't run out or gotten kicked off this board after attacking them repeatedly with sarcasm and bile until they snap! If your goal is to be a one man board with no other opinions but your own keep it up! You can be the biggest Stomp no one ever heard! Sort of defeats your narcissistic ways if no one is around for you to feel superior to, don't ya think?

You have yourself a great retort!

Laters.....

10. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

to recap/retort... Belcher's Report is a credible source for our resident self proclaimed football genius, but the head coach of the football program isn't. You are truly over the fucking top hilarious... an amazing Sly Poker Dog

In a couple months the sites will update their listed measurements for the players. Players don't come in to be weighed by the sites, they continue to get what they list from the schools

True Freshman are unlikely to play much if at all their first season, so it's ludicrous to suggest USC & Stanford strategize over what Austin is listed. I'd also note that Stanford has been listing their D-Line much lighter then Oregon's for a while now. But anyway, according to you, a little digging should reveal a wild divergence between UO's player listings at the school's official website GoDucks (where Austin is listed at 313) & those uncovered by the combine. Because coaches/schools are always big fat liars.

I'm sure no one will be at all surprised to learn that once again facts are dead set against your nonsense as the results of UO big boys invited to the combine over the past 3 years closely matched their final school listing. Of course these two measurements are taken almost a year apart so some difference is to be expected.

Player Last UO listing Combine

Taylor Hart - 6'6 287 - 6'6 281
    Boseko Lokombo - 6'3 229 - 6'2 225
    Kiko Alonzo -6'4 242 - 6'3 238
    Kyle Long - 6'7 311 - 6'6 313
    Dion Jordan - 6'7 243 - 6'6 248
    Mark Asper - 6'7 325 - 6'6 319

The average variance between the UO listing for it's last 6 biggins invited to the combine is less then an inch and just over 2 pounds. So who to trust? The coach/school who actually measures the kids & have been proven to consistently pass along good info, or some hyperbolic internet poster who refuses to look things up & has a well established track record for being dead wrong?

you could do some actual fact finding of your own... maybe see how Huff, DAT, Mitchell & the other recent skill players official school numbers differ from the combine. Why not do the board a favor and occasionally check out the validity of your opinions before sharing more baseless crap and then throwing a fit when someone points it out?

STOMP

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

heres a prediction. Not only will no one on this board back you up on this Swim Block laugher, but I bet you can't find a source anywhere on the internet that does either. I've never heard from a football coach or announcer, & believe me I bumped around the web looking too. Only you.

I did however find literally thousands of references to Defensive Lineman doing Swim Moves and counters Offensive Lineman can do to block a Swim Move. To assist your understanding of this very basic D-Line technique I'm linking a video with former All Pro Saints D-Lineman Will Smith showing off his Swim Move...it should help you "To Be Awesome". I'm also sharing a link that shows Offensive Lineman how to block a Swim Move. The last link is to an Adult Swim Block Party... apparently there will be pizza afterwords

you're welcome

[video=youtube;ZDc0jtHtzlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDc0jtHtzlI[/video]

http://www.football-tutorials.com/offensive-line-drills-stopping-the-pass-rush/1435/

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/2011/10/27/adult-swim-block-party-to-be-kicked-off-with-pizza-promos/

STOMP

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  12. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

In other news, Trey L is now in the hospital for punching a window and is being investigated.

Pardon me while I go season the crow I am going to eat with sage and Lowry's salt

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Austin Maloata is an absolute beast. The two lines did a 3-on-2 drill with three blockers against two defenders, and the tandem of Maloata and Henry Mondeaux really looked good. Maloata drove Hroniss Grasu back a couple yards on one rep, and on another the freshman defeated an attempted double team by Andre Yruretagoyena and Doug Brenner. Just a very aggressive, physical player

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=827611&SPID=139708&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=209610381

STOMP

15. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Seems like all these freshman who shouldn't be making an instant impact sure have. Royce, Nelson, Crosby and now Maloata...

All should play and contribute this year....

As for Maloata... any help supporting the D line is going to be needed especially with a playoff structure coming up..... It's amazing that this kid was 248 a year ago....

16. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

reports on Mariota for example, were he was doing all the things in Practice that people were raving about, and he still Redshirted. I'd venture to guess Nelson probably might as well, and Crosby may have before the injury. You just dont know until the 2 deep comes out.

17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

arguing against another strawman :lol:

no one has said that some freshman won't Redshirt. Every year a few play as true freshman. Most who do play do so as backups (see Terrell Robinson & Thomas Tyner from last season). Occasionally due to injury or circumstances some are thrust into a significant role (see Johnny Mundt & Cameron Hunt last season). Also sometimes guys have such talent that they have significant roles right off (DAT).

Now I know that you've said coach Helfrich is a liar and knows nothing about football, but he is the guy in charge... right? He recently stated that the one true Freshman who will see a significant role this upcoming season is Tanner Carew, and thats because they've a need at long snapper. Wheels is correct at pointing to Crosby as someone potentially gaining a significant role due to injury. The rest of the guys you list are names the media has bounced around based on interviews with players & Assistant coaches. In addition to the guys you named, I've heard the names of Jalen Brown, Tony James, Jimmie Swain, Kalil Oliver & Morgan Mahalak mentioned too. Time will tell who makes the two deep, but I'm hoping we don't see a bunch of guys burning their Redshirt due to injury. If that doesn't happen, I expect (like most seasons) for the True Freshman who do play do so in a back up role mopping up during the upcoming blowouts.

do you still think we should be on red alert if Maloata gains 2 more pounds?

STOMP

18. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

You know Stomp all the sports writers and people who have interviewed Austin are amazed at Maloata's weight gain in a year so clearly I'm not alone here. Now if you'd played any sport you'd know what a feat 50 pounds of good muscle is to achieve in a year, most couldn't do it in 3. I've said I'll give him the Samoan 20 but I just hope he doesn't get flagged for PED's when we need him most!

As for your next gross manipulation of other peoples thoughts to fit your current attack, no where have I said Helrich can't coach, in fact I stand up for him over the naysayers who think without Chip we are doomed! Yes I've said there is monster gamesmanship in what coaches say to the media about players weight, availability, health and so on. Did you notice that Mariota was hurt last year and the coaches never said a word to the media even though all of us could see something was wrong? Gamesmanship! What's Helf going to say, " HEY STANFORD! OUR QB CAN'T RUN, BUMB KNEE, BRING THE HOUSE!!"

Further, it's also no shock that our bend don't break D you are so in love with from years past was not highly respected or feared across the elite college football landscape. Changes had to be made, Aliotti was retired not the other way around. Uncle Phil's investing big bucks into the DUCKS and his vision is clearly not with Aliotti or the what was a week ago acting president of the school. Big business wants it's return and that's a national championship or two, maybe a Heisman, and a legacy program the world will know he built! Phil's getting older, his time is now!

I'd suggest to you that Pellum will run a very attack oriented D this year where our D line gets aggressive and is not just taking up space. You know... the reason why Vanderdoes didn't come here to play with my hero AA. Also the reason why Eddie told whoever would listen that Aliotti didn't know how to use top DT's and made them into O line punching bags. I'd love to hear you address that statement or the fact that Oregon hasn't recruited a true DT in over 3 years. I know you wont because GOOGLE can give you those type of answers.

Anywho, you can believe Pellum knows how high the stakes are and what he needs to deliver. We've got a once in a decade QB, an experienced savvy O line, skilled players everywhere and the top DB in the nation and ranked top 5! Yep he's on the clock!

I hope Pellum knocks it out of the park this year and we win it all, Marcus get the Heisman and we have a national championship in Eugene!

Here's a quick quote for your freshman as backups or out of necessity theory...... I'd suggest Royce will be backing up no one by UCLA and Tyner will be used more as a Tazer with his speed and hands......

Matt Prehm @Prehmmr247

Oregon RB Coach Gary Campbell says Royce Freeman is in the mix to start at RB in opener. "I think he's in the mix, no question."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  19. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

your attempts at insults are so powder puff soft, I want to wash my sheets in them. Sorry but sports writers are not amazed by his weight gain, only you Swim Block. Thats probably because they can recall the countless other similar examples of this happening... (for the umpteenth time) DeForest Buckner & Alex Balducci spring to mind. Good grief this isn't that hard.

no precious, you are confused again. At the end of last season I stated a number of Oregon's philosophies that I agree with. In a laughable attempt to insult me, you said (paraphrasing) anyone that holds these same philosophies doesn't know a thing about football... or, both the Oregon football coaches and I (in your opinion) don't know a thing about football. I'd be happy to link the thread for you if you'd live up to your word/promise to leave this board for good if anyone could find an example of you insulting me.

Well I'm leaving work now, maybe I'll mulch the rest of your floundering post later

STOMP

20. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

AA was 280 in high school you can find that on Rivals, he's 296 today, that's 16 pounds not 50 and he's a junior.

Buckner is 286 from 230 and if you could read "MOUTH" you'd see in my post I said clearly 3 years to get that way for that kind of good weight to be put on.

Maloata did 50 pounds in a year as a freshmen..... Rob Mosley just interviewed him and said "huge weight gain".... guess you missed that too?

You still didn't address Royce as a starter or definitely not a back up if someone got hurt theory? The lack of true DT recruiting over the last 3 years? Why an All American in Vanderdoes said we don't use DT's properly, or reasons why you'd disagree? Real football stuff not regurgitation you can cut and copy to look relevant.

BTW- DAT started year one only because Cliff was in the dog house with Chipo for the pot bust on 1-5 thus the reason DAT was fed to the Tigers of LSU game 1 and the two fumbles to go with it!

What I do know about you for sure is that when your asked specific questions you avoid them? You are not about talking real football rather attacking posters who you feel crossed by, thus your opinions I can get on any pay site! You have no original ideas and your posts prove it!

Only you would be splitting words on swim block knowing exactly what I meant; but your constant "anonymous" need to be an instigator for the narcissistic
    ego rush you seem to get in hopes "anonymous" readers here will appreciate your quick idiotic whit has grown tiresome! Pray Wheels bails you out again "Mouth" but after so many poster have said you're a bully I'm sure he's seeing the writing on the wall! You really don't want to post here, you want this to be only your board!

Stay away from my posts and I'll stay away from yours!