Chicago Bulls have offered three-year contract to Australian draftee Cameron Bairstow

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Jul 16, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

David Pick @IAmDPick

Chicago Bulls have offered three-year contract to Australian draftee Cameron Bairstow, per source.

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Re: Chicago Bulls have offered three-year contract to Australian draftee Cameron Bair

These are tough to do with 2nd round picks. Whenever a 2nd-rounder makes good, fans want to know why the hell the team didn't sign the player to a 3-year deal. The problem, of course, is that, if you want to take away a 2nd-rounder's 3rd season free agency, that player (and his agent of course) will want considerably more up front and guaranteed money.

I can't ever recall the Bulls signing a 2nd-rounder to a 3-year deal. This is interesting.

3. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    Re: Chicago Bulls have offered three-year contract to Australian draftee Cameron Bair

I'd be shocked if anything beyond Bairstow's first year is guaranteed, though even getting the first year fully guaranteed is pretty good for a guy drafted as low as he was. Getting that $507,336 guaranteed first year is probably worth signing for two more that are only partially guaranteed (or even not guaranteed at all).

The Bulls are so far from the luxury tax, it won't hurt to fully guarantee his first season even if they wind up finding veterans to replace him.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Agree. All I was saying is that the extra year of control had to cost the Bulls "something," and if Bairstow and his agent believe in Bairstow's long-term prospects, that "something" won't be insignificant.

Good thought about the Bulls probably not having to worry about the cap (they'll be over when they re-up Butler) or the LT (they'll be under for at least a couple seasons)...makes it easier to make a longer-term commitment.

5. Bullsville

Sportswriter

Yeah I was agreeing with you, saying that the "something" it will cost the Bulls is making his first-year contract 100% guaranteed.

A pick between 49-60 getting his first-year salary 100% guaranteed straight out of the draft is basically unheard of.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case

Pretty awesome they get to pay a guy $500K for a bunch of years.

7. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Would you complain about that, too?

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

No. I hope he's a beast and played 42 minutes a nite. For $500K, it's a bargain.

9. Bullsville

Sportswriter

They don't, and anyone who even has a tiny bit of comprehension of how the CBA works would know that.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

$507,336 is minimum salary for a player with 0 years experience.

If he's signed with the vet minimum exception, the Bulls can sign him for two seasons. If he is signed with cap space, they can sign him for 4 years with options after each. At the end of 4 seasons, he will be barely be making $575K. If he can play, he's a bargain for even $575K. But the tweet we're accepting as "fact" says 3 years.

11. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Was Trenton Hassell the last one? If my my memory serves, the Krause-era Bulls used to always sign second rounders to extended contracts so that the franchise would have bird rights. But I think back then -- before the Arenas rule -- you only needed to sign rookies to two year deals to acquire rights. This was back when high second rounders were quite a bit more valuable than low first rounders . . . they still might be. I feel like the Bulls used to always go one-year guaranteed, one-year not but my memory fails me now.

Edit:

As to Baristow, we'll see what we have when the regular season starts. 6'10"(height)/7'1"(wingspan) is closer to a stretch four than a traditional big. Some guys get away with that through bulk and quickness, but Kyrylo Fesenko ate his lunch pretty good. Who knows, maybe Baristow will be some kind of stretch five hybrid, given his shooting and bulk. I'm curious to see what he looks like after working with professional trainers for a year.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  12. Bullsville

Sportswriter

Sorry buddy, but it doesn't work that way.

Not. Even. Close.

He is guaranteed to make the veteran's minimum of $845,059 next season, as long as he plays one NBA game this season.

In 2016-17, his third season, he's guaranteed $980,431.

In 2017-18, his fourth season, he's guaranteed $1,051,245.

There's this little document known as the "NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement" that says players must make at least the minimum salary for the number of years they have been in the NBA.

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/2011-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

But at least we can understand a simple concept like the minimum salary....................

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

[​IMG]

What do I know, I'm just a layman.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

My bad. Maybe RealGM got it wrong.

Nope, CBA FAQ says this:

[​IMG]

15. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Fesenko ate him up, but I think it's Fesenko's performance and not Bairstow's that will have more difficulty translating to the NBA. He's a big, slow, teddy bear who won't have those same shots called for him in the NBA. Against most bigs I think he'll be passable.

As for his potential, he looks like he can be a decent 8-10 guy on a bench. I don't think he'll be able to use his post game at the NBA level, but his jumper looks NBA ready. He's very active on both ends and seems to move his feet well, but will always be a little undersized.

I can see him sticking on a roster somewhere, so I guess if the Bulls want to try and get him locked up for 500k then fine go ahead.

16. Bullsville

Sportswriter

I'm sorry, but what's with the graph?

$845,059 next season, just like I said.

Unless you're trying to just confirm how incredibly wrong your "At the end of 4 seasons, he will be barely be making $575K" statement was??

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

CBA FAQ says 4.5% raises are max allowed, too,

18. Bullsville

Sportswriter

No, it doesn't.

There are certain contracts which only allow annual raises of 4.5% of the first-year salary. Contracts signed with the Minimum Salary Exception are among those that allow much, much larger raises.

Not only allow them, but mandate them. In fact, rookies who sign a two-year contract and whose team use the Minimum Salary Exception are guaranteed a 66.5679% raise next season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Even a layman should be able to understand those words, assuming they have at least a basic, rudimentary fluency in the English language.

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

It's not a minimum salary exception. THREE YEARS, according to the tweet we accept as "fact." That would mean he was signed with cap space to a deal that could be any of 1-4 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case