CJ Plan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by magnifier661, Jul 17, 2014.

1. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    If CJ could somehow play within himself and become the player we talked about on draft day last summer, do you think he can earn a starting spot? Maybe not this season, but it could be the plan of Olshey.

I mean it seems Matthews will probably get a pay raise if he continues to play at the level he had the last 2 years. Maybe Olshey is aware that the Blazers may not be able to fiscally keep Matthews to avoid luxury tax, so he's hedging on CJ and Barton to play 2.

Thoughts???

2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

My thoughts are for CJ to become an evolved Jamal Crawford. Super sixth man than can play with the starters down the stretch. Don't think he'll ever be able to match the defensive physicality of Wes.

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

That would obviously be the plan. We can't give LMA a max contract and re-sign Wes and Lopez for $10mill a season each unless...

this team makes the WCF or NBA finals. If the Blazers do that I can see PA green lighting a dip into the luxury tax.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

And I am a huge Wesley Matthews fan. He does not get enough credit for what he means to this team. He is a warrior, his attitude and toughness is something that this team lacks at times. I think he did a fantastic job in the playoffs against Harden.

5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    CJ will never be the single vision ball hog Crawchuck is nor will he ever be as strong as Wes. CJ is a very well-rounded player. We hope he develops enough all around NBA-level skills to replace Wes in the starting lineup -- that's why we drafted him -- so yeah, 'hedging our bets' is a good way to put it. CJ isn't there right now though, that's for sure.

6. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

The cap is supposed to go up $20 million with the new TV deal so even with Aldride on a max deal we could sign Wes and rolo at $10 million each and maybe stay just under the luxury tax.

7. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

It would be really tough to see Wes go. But I wont be able to blame him if he can get a lot more money somewhere. In fact someone is probably going to overpay him quite a bit I bet

8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Is it? I've seen this said by many but don't recall hearing any corroboration of this vision from the organization.

IMHO, if anybody is going to take a resemblance of a pay-cut to stay with the Blazers its Wes. We made him the highest paid player in his class at the time and he's really become the heart/soul of the team. If we are contending, I think he'll really want to stay.

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I just don't see a Lillard / CJ back court working. It would be like Curry / Ellis. And that's if CJ develops into a better-than-decent player.

HailBlazers likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My favorite CJ quote was the last interview with him dissing Jaynes and Haynes especially Jaynes. Just shows what happens when you diss a journalism major and assume he's not listening or reading sports media. I like CJ a whole lot more after that interview. Defensively, the SL team is way better than I anticipated

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

CJ is nothing like Jamal Crawford, I don't get the comparison

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Wes is a whole lot bigger than CJ and a much much better defender. CJs defense looks good in summer league but Wes looks good against the best the NBA has to offer.

13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He's not saying stylistically, he's saying a role similar to what Crawford does. A super sub.

14. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    True, but salaries will rise as the cap and luxury tax line rise. If Chandler Parsons is making $15 million a year now, $15 million per year is likely to be par for the course for a talented non-star wing at that point and the "are they crazy?" deal may be $18-20 million.

15. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Wes Rolo and Aldridge will sign long term deals next summer under the old cap, then the new cap will go up when Lillard extension kicks in. There might be one year we edge into luxury tax. Eventually yes contracts will go up as well but that might not effect the core of the Blazers for 5 years.

16. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

The Blazers I value the most on this team and in this order:
    Lillard
    Aldridge
    Lopez
    Batum
    Matthews
    Robinson
    Barton
    McCollum
    Freeland
    Meyers
    Claver
    Crabbe

I don't know where Blake and Kaman fit yet. But I think all of the pieces are tradeable assists given the right return. But the value needs to be improving to send them away.

17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Wesley just works better as a starter. His strengths fit the starting unit, where LaMarcus and Damian are the main scorers and you need somebody to fill in the gaps (notably defense). CJ, on the other hand, is somebody who can come in and create his own offense. That's the point of the Jamal Crawford comparison (I assume).

Now, maybe, if Wesley would net us something good, or his next contract is too expensive, then CJ could slot in. But even then, I'd prefer to start someone like Crabbe (if he ever found his shot) and have CJ off the bench. You know, like San Antonio always had Ginobili coming off the bench behind a more limited starter.

18. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Huh. I'd go:
    Aldridge
    Batum
    Lillard
    Lopez
    Matthews
    Thrilla
    CJ
    kinda lose interest
    -----the bottom----
    Meyers

However, if we're talking my fave players, it's probably Batum, Lopez and Will. Mad props to Lillard and Aldridge, but this is pure sentiment.

19. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Remember all the fuss over Wesley's deal? Then all the fuss over Aldridge? Then Batum? Simpler times.

20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I'd go:

Lillard
    Aldridge
    Batum
    Lopez
    Matthews
    McCollum
    Barton
    Robinson