The NBA's direction/future?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by BrewCityBuck, Apr 12, 2007.

1. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Re: The NBA's direction/future?

Do you guys think the NBA is heading in the right direction? I still think the league does a rather poor job of marketing the sport. I think the NBA is worrying too much about foreign marketing instead of marketing in the United States. I think Stern's done a hell of a job cleaning up the league but I feel like a large percentage of the population has been lost on the NBA altogether, and that group will always be on the NFL's side.

2. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

In terms of a playing standpoint, I'm living the new found realization that European basketball is the way to win. I'm talking about being able to shoot, being smart, and being unselfish. The Raptors are a prime example of this, and watching that ESPN Special on them really opened my eyes.Despite recent injury, the unselfish play of Calderon, Jorge Garbajosa, Andrea Bargnani, Rasho Nesterovic, and the smarts of a European veteran in Anthony Parker has bred smarts and success in Toronto's roster.

3. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Foreign players are a big risk to take, if you want to draft them in the lottery. However, you'll get the occasional gem such as Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Yao Ming, etc. But then, you'll get the mediocre ones, such as Nikoloz Tskitishvili, DeSagana Diop, etc. There are tens of thousands of kids in the US who want to play in the NBA so badly, and the US is obviously where the best players in NBA are from. I also think the NBA should cut down on the number of teams. California has four teams, that's ridiculous.

4. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I also think the NBA should cut down on the number of teams. California has four teams, that's ridiculous.</div>California has 35+ milllion people. If california doesn't deserve 4 teams then Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Louisiana, and many other states don't deserve any teams, population wiseAs for the direction of the league, the level of play has been going up the last few years and should continue that way for a while. The marketing is weak, but I can see Stern's POV; the inner city kids and true bball fans will watch it no matter what, so he wants to appeal to the people who wouldn't watch it otherwise

5. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

I think the NBA is heading into another golden age of great, legendary players. Like BCB, I love what Sterns done, but it could be marketed better in the US. This summer during the World Cup(soccer), they said basketball is the 2nd most popular sport in the world...of course next to soccer.

6. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I think the NBA's "direction" is something to be happy about. You look at the endless list of unbelievable young talent in this league, how can you not be excited? The amount of young stars in this league right now, including the ones coming up within the next 2 years (such as Durant, Oden, Rose, Mayo, etc.), is just incredible. I don't know if it has ever been like that before.Sure, we don't all agree with the rules, and sure we don't agree with some marketing schemes, but I do think the NBA is in the process of beholding one of the most legendary talent pools in the history of the sport.

7. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I think the NBA's "direction" is something to be happy about. You look at the endless list of unbelievable young talent in this league, how can you not be excited? The amount of young stars in this league right now, including the ones coming up within the next 2 years (such as Durant, Oden, Rose, Mayo, etc.), is just incredible. I don't know if it has ever been like that before.</div>yeah, it's undeniable that there are more stars in the league now than there have ever been. That's why there are the most 25 ppg scorers and 25 PER guys of all time and there is hella young talent too. The level of play is definitely going up.

8. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

Now days more than ever, you have to have a team...full of talent. Used to, you could get away with two stars and some nice role players. But now, you need atleast 3 stars...and more players on the brink of stardom(Devin Harris, Barbosa etc.)

9. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (austingriz @ Apr 13 2007, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Now days more than ever, you have to have a team...full of talent. Used to, you could get away with two stars and some nice role players. But now, you need atleast 3 stars...and more players on the brink of stardom(Devin Harris, Barbosa etc.)</div>I wouldn't quite agree with that second part. I think that there are more stars than ever, but do to expansion it's about the same concentration per team. I don't think one needs three stars, since the Mavs at best have two, but you definitely need a stacked team these days; could any of the championship teams from '99-2004 win this year's championship? Maybe 2000 lakers and 2001 lakers but that's about it I think.

10. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

If you had asked me this question 5 years ago I would say the NBA was going down hill and doing so fast, but the league has done a 180 and is starting to get back on track. Teams are starting to draft the best players availble again, and not just based on potential. from about 96-2004 thats all that seemed to happen, in every draft. thats also why the good teams stayed good and the bad teams stayed bad, starting in about 2003 teams began to draft the best player availble again and suddenly bottom feeders like the Cavs and Nuggets got good. IMO that is very good for the league, if every team is competitve every night it makes every game so much better and important in the standings.I also like the leagues JR NBA project, its going to teach keeps not to be one dimentional players. those kids will grow up into future draft prospects who are a lot better. unlike the draft prospects from 99-05, who all wanted to be scorers.

11. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tHe_pEsTiLeNcE @ Apr 13 2007, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I wouldn't quite agree with that second part. I think that there are more stars than ever, but do to expansion it's about the same concentration per team. I don't think one needs three stars, since the Mavs at best have two, but you definitely need a stacked team these days; could any of the championship teams from '99-2004 win this year's championship? Maybe 2000 lakers and 2001 lakers but that's about it I think.</div>I consider Jason Terry a star IMO, and of course the other two are HOward and Dirk. Im not saying EVERY good team has three...but the ones who dont have two superstar)Wade-Shaq, McGrady-Yao).

12. The Legacy

The Legacy BBW Member

I like the direction the NBA is going. I don't think the NBA could ever pass the NFL so it makes sense to start marketing in other countries. I'd like to see at least two more franchises in the NBA (Oklahoma City and Vegas) but the NBA is doing fine.

13. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (austingriz @ Apr 13 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I consider Jason Terry a star IMO, and of course the other two are HOward and Dirk. Im not saying EVERY good team has three...but the ones who dont have two superstar)Wade-Shaq, McGrady-Yao).</div>You need to lower your standards a bit if you consider Jason Terry a star. He's a good player, but he is not a star.

14. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (austingriz @ Apr 13 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I consider Jason Terry a star IMO, and of course the other two are HOward and Dirk. Im not saying EVERY good team has three...but the ones who dont have two superstar)Wade-Shaq, McGrady-Yao).</div>If Terry played at a consistent level, he'd be a star. However, the guy is as streaky and inconsistent as they come.

15. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Apr 15 2007, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You need to lower your standards a bit if you consider Jason Terry a star. He's a good player, but he is not a star.</div>don't you mean he should raise his standards?Because he definitely should.

16. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

The league has done a great job getting rid of the "thug look".. I've gotten kind of sick of the NBA Cares commercials, it seems like they're trying to hard to change their image. You have to respect Stern though, and the fact that he's doing alot to bring fans back, and make people think this league isn't full of gangsters - theres just that few guys who destroy the reputation of the league.On the talent side of things, the league has one HELL of a future.. There are so many guys that could be great players, so many guys drafted based on potential, freak athletes, then the young prodigys like Durant, Oden, LeBron, Melo, Wade, etc..... Were lucky to be living in a time with guys as talented as them. So yes the NBA is going in the right direction