McDermott, Snell named Samsung All-NBA Summer League First Team

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Bullsville, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    http://bit.ly/1nYbbGj

Don't get too carried away as it was just Summer League, but there is certainly reason to think that Snell will be given every chance to earn a starting spot during training camp and preseason.

"That's my biggest strength right now," McDermott said. "I'm trying to add things to my game every day. I think I'm a lot more than a shooter. I feel I'm a complete player. And having a coach like Tom Thibodeau will only help me."

2. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I was just going to start a thread about what we can and can't take away from summer league.

Here are my conclusions:

Snell: Definitely improved from last year. He's removed excess motion from his shot and looks more decisive with the ball in his hands. Definitely pulls the trigger a lot more quickly. I think his most immediately translatable improvement will be his more efficient shooting mechanics. I'm still in wait-and-see mode with regards to his other tools. They're not bad, but not something I can see him relying on, and not enough to be our "second shot creator."

McDermott: I'm more optimistic about McDermott's summer league performance carrying over to the regular season. I was relieved to see him use offensive moves he had in college that I didn't think he'd be able to use in the pros.

I saw him hit a few pull up three pointers off a pick with NBA players guarding him that I thought would disappear once he got to the NBA. He was also able to create activity for himself with his game from the elbow. It's clear that he has an acutely good sense for getting open and playing in space. And his stroke is elite. Not just really good.......elite.

When it comes to his offense, I think he'll be more Rip than Korver. The big difference between Rip and Korver is Korver ultimately needed the team to get him open, whereas Rip could use the offense to get himself open and generate shots on his own. Thus Rip was able to score in volume in ways that Korver couldn't and was able to score in close games in ways that Korver couldn't.

I see McDermott as being an efficient volume scorer in a 3rd banana role.

Bairstow: Probably nothing more than a 5th big on most teams, but is decent to chew up some minutes when the time calls for it. Is undersized for the frontcourt, but plays the way a guy you'd want his size to play: chippy as hell, active feet, and willing to take charges and absorb contact. I agree with SST that his open court speed is very bad, but he seems to have very nimble feet in the halfcourt. Won't ever be a rim protector. Chippy as hell.

3. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    Outstanding, I don't think I would have changed one single word.

I really love the way Snell looks handling the ball. He's got the quickness and long strides to get out on the break and get the ball up the floor very quickly. That being said, he has to do a lot of work on his actual handling the ball and passing to make it work.

McDoug has a little bit of Dirk to his game in the mid-range, the way he can have his back to the basket and turn and shoot effectively off of one foot. You're spot on that he's so much more than Korver, it's really not even close.

Bairstow looks like Bill Wennington to me, like you said able to get on the court if you have foul trouble and not hurt the team.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  5. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Doug McDermott the most impressive summer league player

Bulls forward Doug McDermott was the top vote-getter in a HoopsHype poll in which we asked 34 summer league players which three peers they found the most impressive in Orlando and Las Vegas. McDermott, who averaged 18.0 ppg, 4.0 apg and 2.8 apg at the Vegas Summer League, came right ahead of Cavs draftee Andrew Wiggins and Chicago teammate Tony Snell.

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/articles/hoops...r-according-to-his-peers#sthash.bE5PTgLd.dpuf

6. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Re: Doug McDermott the most impressive summer league player

You wonder if they only polled the Timberwolves?

:-)

Seriously though, good for McDermott.

I think my big take away from summer league was the hope that Tony Snell's improved shot is for real. At the end of the day, he's just another incomplete role player unless he's able to put his shooting together. It feels like very few players go from being average shooters to elite shooters -- let's hope Snell bucks that trend.