Whats Kreider worth?

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by vroppelt, Jul 21, 2014.

1. vroppelt

vroppelt Member

Elliot Friedman reporting that Krieder submitted his number at 2.8M while the Rangers are seeking a two year deal at 1.9M and then 2.2M for year two. Not really that far apart if you ask me, wouldn't be surprised to see this settled without actually going to a hearing on Weds. Glad to see he is not asking for the moon, I was kinda expecting that....

PS - I didn't know this, but apparently both parties have to submit their 'expected' numbers 48 hours prior to the hearing (according to Friedman's article on TSN)...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Kreider didn't really have a leg to stand on to ask for the moon. Stepan signed a "bridge" 2yr deal @ 2.3M sal in yr 1 and $3.9M in yr 2, but he was coming off a couple of solid seasons with 50+pts in one and a good shortened season.

I think the low $2M range is fair for Kreider for a 2yr deal, as in his best season yet he didn't even get to 40pts. He's all projection at this point, so his $ value will inevitably be lower than others like Stepan who had at least produced decent results.

3. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    give him 2.5 for 2 years and call it a day

4. vroppelt

vroppelt Member

I'm with you on that Al, cant see him and his agent turning that down either.....

5. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    2/.4.8-5 is fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    what kind of math equation is that Disturbed lol

7. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Haha. 2 years 4.8-5.0m total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    ok...so you agree with me lol

9. giantsrule

giantsrule Banned User BANNED

1.9 is really an insult. The entire league knows how good Kreider is and how valuable he is to the Rangers. If they were smart, offer him 4 years, 3.5 save themselves a lot of money down the line. If he goes 30-30 in one of the next two years as he is likely to do, he will be looking at a 6 Y, 6 million dollar deal and he'll get it from a ton of other teams.

10. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

Can't afford that under the cap right now dump.

The Rangers offered a 2.05 cap hit for two years. Personally I think 2.2 or 2.3 as a cap hit for two years seems fair. I think 2.5 is too much right now.

11. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Agree with Al if 2 year bridge needs to be at least 2.5 per. Also agree with dump that this is one of those players that is a building block and our first line left wing for the next 10 years and should try and tie this kid up with a 4 or 5 year deal now. Only problem is while 3.5 for 4 would be a steal for us to get him signed for 4 or 5 we probably have to go 4 mill a year to buy out a couple of those 6 mill a year years that he will almost certainly command after the next 2 years. Find the money by moving klein for a draft pick as we have plenty of 5 or 6 type d-men available. after this arbitration contract if it goes to that Kreids is a ufa and for a 6'3 230lb kid at 24 or 25 whatever he is then that skates like the wind, is impossible to move from in front of the net and plays with a hard edge that is scarce to be generous in the organization and can score teams will be lining up to throw money at this kid.

12. Novababy85

Novababy85 Member

A "Queens Marine" as my father wold say
    I don't think chris takes a 4 year deal at 2.5 per. He knows his worth and he knows the Rangers have all the leverage. He's probably looking at a two year deal because he knows i he produces that he can and will get a 6 year deal in the 4.5 mil range.

13. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

Why does it need to be at least 2.5 per? The guy has never had 40 points as 31 mentions. Now it will be around 2.5 per, I am sure it will be 2.3 to 2.6 per for two years, but I don't think it needs to be at least 2.5 per. That is not how you build a team I don't think. These bridge deals are what they are. The NHL code is bridge deals for all but the very special players like McDonagh.

I don't think there is much to see here. It will be a two year deal with a 2.3 to 2.6 cap hit. It will get done prior to his hearing.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Well, his hearing is today so not a lot of time left to get it worked out prior. I'm not a fan of arbitration hearings, I feel it plants a seed of bad blood/resentment in the player's mind. If Kreider was looking for $2.8m and the Rangers started at $1.9 and they can't come to an agreement before the hearing that says a lot, and it's not good.

15. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

CK is yet to have a full season under his belt so it's tough to extrapolate what he'd do in a full year. I agree with $2.5 per, a simple contract unless Glen decides to unnecessarily hold onto Klein. He's gotta make space somewhere and I think he should be able to get a mid level draft pick back.

16. sorr

sorr Member

Done deal. Some good predictions here, he's signed for 2 years at just under $2.5M per.