OT A nice article hating on Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerCaravan, Jul 22, 2014.

1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

2. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Holy balls that's a freaking memoir.

I know exactly what he's talking about. I had the same thing happen to me and others I worked with. I started writing for Sportstalk.com back in 2000. It was a site started by Chad Ford and Jason Peery, two guys who went to BYU together. Ford was a lawyer and Peery was/is a realestate mogul in Palo Alto. The internet was booming and Jason was waiting for the right opportunity to sell the site and keep everyone on staff. He had big aspirations, and it was looking really good for everyone who had busted their ass to make the site what it was. Unfortunately there was a huge internet crash in 2001, Peery couldn't afford to keep the site going on his own dime, and ESPN wanted Chad so they basically took sportstalk off his hands and only employed a handful of people.

When I started working for ESPN I was making less than minimum wage as a private contractor. ESPN Insider started out with a bunch of writers from sportstalk, but eventually they were all weeded out until only a few of us remained. We were basically just data entry doing a job that a computer could probably do quicker and more efficiently. The site was generating a ton of revenue for ESPN, but they didn't want to pay us a fair wage. I stayed on with ESPN for five years, and I eventually got a better hourly wage, but I finally got fed up when the managing editor of ESPN online told me, flat out, that they didn't want to publish some guy writing from his basement. He wasn't just talking about me, he was talking about my entire breed of writer.

Internet journalism is more widely accepted now. It was a real up-hill battle when I got into it. Even now, there's still this stupid prejudice against anyone who didn't go to school for journalism. I'm not afraid to admit that I hate the smug attitude that some print journalists have/had, and I take pleasure in watching newspapers fold so these archaic bastards are forced to strike out and embrace the online platform. Writing is about talent. It's always been about talent. Not everyone can write, so going to school to be a journalist always seemed like a waste of time. If you're good at it, go do it. There's a reason why Hollywood favors talent over education. Sure, classes can teach you to improve your writing, but the raw talent needs to be there.

You know what really sucks about reading that article? I came up with an idea similar to bleacher report after sportstalk died back in 2001. I wanted to create a site that would give young writers an opportunity to work in a professional setting and show their stuff. I wanted to target college writers. I approached a few of the guys from sportstalk who didn't find work with ESPN, but I didn't have the coding ability and this was back when you had to know HTML, so I let it go. It stings a bit to read that the douche who created Bleacher Report sold it for $127 million. :sigh:

4. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

It's okay; I had this great idea for a website that lets people fund products and projects by only donating a little, but the "crowd" would "fund" the entire project, "kickstarting" it into life.

...and then I decided not to do anything about it.

5. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I started a social networking site with Mark Zuckerberg, but then he double-crossed me. It was all politics.

6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Wookee should have started a blog, he could have gotten paid by Bleacher Report for all the hours he has spent bashing Bleacher Report.

7. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I read the article. Many sales companies are 100% marketing constructs, paying piecework, not hourly. Others make you an associate or co-owner. You work for free at first, then make less per hour than you could in a regular job. This writer put in a couple of free years, under less-disciplined conditions than a real job like McDonalds, hoping they would pay him. Why would they do that. With many unpaid volunteers, they need pay only the new star who emerges every year or two. This writer was not a star in their eyes.

He got great experience and will now easily outcompete any new journalism graduate. Apply at weeklies, only for paying jobs. Or branch into technical/sales writing for a big company, a reliable job with a pension at the end.

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I've gotta say, that article was the longest whine I've ever skimmed.