Mixed signals on Tanaka progress;

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by yankeesince59, Jul 24, 2014.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

2. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

3. yankeesince59

...yeah, It's kinda hard to understand what they are saying. I mean on one hand they said that it's understood that it's a gradual day by day progression from the PRP treatment and that each day the discomfort decreases. But since it's only been a few days since he "can still feel it".
    ...this basically translates into "This is pretty much what we and our doctors expected, so at this point, there's no real story here."...gee, thanx for the news flash.

4. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

He should get the inevitable TJ surgery now so he has a shot to be back for the second half next year. Typical yankee bumbling bullshit.

5. yankeesince59

...though most return after TJ surgery, not all do and not all return to their previous form, so there IS risk involved. The PRP also helps in the "pre-hab" should he need surgery anyway. We're only talking about a 6 week difference in time if they wait so it's not a big deal. If they can get him back in 3 or 4 weeks without having surgery he helps the Yanx down the stretch THIS YEAR instead of maybe coming back next year.
    ...and fwiw, the "typical Yankee bumbling" was on the advice of multiple doctors who know much more about his injury than we do. The Yanx made the smart move, regardless if he can rejoin the team this year or not.

6. totus44

So if PRP is okay, then can I bank my excess testosterone and get that reinjected for later use/need?

7. yankeesince59

...I know that was tongue in cheek, but you can't compare the two.

...but I know you'll try. :lol:

8. totus44

PRP, naturally produced substances from the blood stream, collected and enriched (concentrated) and then reinjected to improve performance. I can do the exact same thing with testosterone. Why is one OK and the other not?

9. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Didn't you mean to say "Premarin" :roflmao:

10. Mattingly23NY

Testosterone is ok, Premarin is NOT...! :lol:

11. Mattingly23NY

I still don't understand why we hear, this athlete has a elbow, shoulder or any other "strain", when its always a "tear"...?

12. yankeesince59

...I'm very familiar with PRP...they usedvery a similar procedure on me about 4-5 years ago.

...but to answer your question about reinjecting your own testosterone, as long as your T-levels are not elevated it would not trigger a test red flag I would assume. And if you're not injecting an excess amount of T to elevate your T-levels, where's the benefit?...so why bother?

13. totus44

My point is, if you can take one natural substance from your own blood, enrich it and reinject....why not all? PRP sets the precedent to use ones own stem cells, and that my friend can trump any PED.

Who is to say what your T levels should be? Or here's another twist, say Mike Trout has a 400 at this age, and guys Jeter and ARods age are at 100. How about a TUE to bring them up to Trout's level, isn't that a level playing field?

14. yankeesince59

http://www.hardballtimes.com/how-does-steroid-testing-actually-work/

15. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

We hit on this topic in the other thread, how pitchers from 40,50 years ago pitched with a 4 man rotation. started 35-40 games, most pitched 250 innings plus & NEVER had these injuries. I wonder if this is on Tanaka's mind. "I never have arm problems all my life, until I come to MLB in America".

16. totus44

Yes yes yes, I know. The way WADA rules work is you can take something from your own body and reinjected it for an injury. But you can do it to enhance performance above some arbitrary natural state of 'normal'. As no 2 athletes have the same T levels ( for example), why not normalize all to the same level? I keep hearing about a level playing field and fairness. Well we already know all the players T levels from testing. Guys should get a TUE to be treated to that biochemically level playing field. This was in fact what they did for ARod....never mind the reason why he was low T, the medical basis to balance the playing field is still valid. Now if you take the T from the blood of the player, it does in fact pass the 13C ratio test. They could also collect epi to preserve that ratio too. Rather than go through that loophole, just standardize the TUE process.