Capuano to Start on Sunday...

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by JeterRules20, Jul 25, 2014.

1. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

Whitley to the bullpen. I did not see that coming.

EDIT: I meant he will start on Saturday....

2. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I just don't get the addition of Cappy....last few games I saw him pitch in Bums rags, he had nothing.....87-88 mph BP...!

3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...they can still bring in Whitley if need be.

4. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

I agree I am just perplexed by this move.

5. yankeesince59

...yeah, maybe Joe is hoping for a better outing from Cap vs the Jays than the last time Whitley faced them. Maybe he just is just desperate for a LHer...who knows.
    ...the one thing that puzzles me the most is that Capuano has been a relief pitcher all year and unless I'm mistaken, he has not started a game since last year.

6. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Well, I could say that Girardi is doing this because he's an idiot....................but I won't. So lets just hope for the best.

7. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

Let's just hope this is a one and done start and then they will have traded for a better permanent starter.

8. Rick2583

Or he just may shock the hell out of us Jill & pitch good. Hey, I can dream can't I?

9. yankeesince59

...will you just give that BS a rest?...I could say you're an idiot but I won't. So let's just hope for the best.

10. yankeesince59

...god damn it !...if Joe had put the shift on, Kawasaki would not have gotten on base...this is ridiculous.

11. Mattingly23NY

What bit I saw of today's game, seemed like Joe made all the right moves. Loved the shift for the first time, when Rausmus hit the ball right at the glove....up the middle.

Give Mac credit for his work at 1B.....GG....

12. Rick2583

There's a difference though Ron, I'm NOT an idiot, and that's the difference. I'm sorry but you just don't put a shift on for a guy that hitting 200. But its not just him, this over stated bullshit has been going on throughout the league. You don't need to shift for EVERY f'king batter.

13. yankeesince59

...No, there's not a difference, because for the umpteenth time, Girardi is NOT an idiot either. You can question his moves all you want but to use the term "idiot" to describe him is, well, idiotic.

...and sorry, but the shift is not implemented on "every" hitter...see "Kawasaki" in post # 10. (and that's why I made that post)

...have you ever stopped to think that part of the reason some of the players with low batting averages are hitting so poorly is in part, BECAUSE OF THE SHIFT ? Just because a batters have a low BA does not mean they are not still predominantly pull hitters which is why the shift was created in the first place. And the only way to stop teams from using the shift is to hurt them by bunting or going the other way and hitting the ball to the vacated area.
    ...if, by using the shift, you are able to turn a .240 hitter into a .210 hitter, you do it...if you can cause a .300 hitter to be a .270 hitter, you do it. Simply put, if you reduce the number of hits by your opposition, regardless of what kind of batter produces them, you increase your chances of winning.

...it's really just simple math.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  14. Mattingly23NY

Simple spray charts, can tell Mgr's. to shift on specific high yield pull hitters, to a gnat's ass, of say 80% success. With odds in ones favor with quick computerized spray charts, pctgs. & all, made soooo readily quick & available to a Mgr.

You play those odds. I have never been a fan of the shift, but yeah, it is a reason both hitters are hitting for lower averages, (some), and some Teams are actually hitting as much as .40 pts. Batting Avg. Team success vs the shift. So go figure...do what ya' gotta do, to get 'em out. Not many DiMaggio's, Keeler's, Donnie BB to
    "hit 'em where they aint"...a lost art.....?

Anyway-man I'm still up and its damn near 5 am., I'm utterly worried about the Yanx with Cappy. I mean, I've watched all of Cappy's last 2 yrs. in Bum Rags. He looked very very horrid. A finesse pitcher, like Jamie Moyer, with nada, no fast ball, only junk, and a lost hook......

I only hope Joe keeps Cappy on a very short leash, or the game could get out of hand.

How many games now has the Jays lost in the Bronx now, close to a record, 17??? Is it, someone help me out, please....!

And Buehrle still has NOT won a game in NY since 2010....!

tho' Buehrle is NOT pitching vs. Cappy, if the Yanx want the streak to continue, and why not, please keep a close eye and hook ready for Cappy....

I liked this crafty finesse big southpaw, when he was with Milwaukee, (at times), others he seemed to go down hill quick here in Tinsel Town....Even tho' his K ratio is not overwhelming, he does get a man about every inning and 1/2, more at times, lets the field do the work. Just try not to give up the long ball.

I think Joe is thinking a lefty who uses the field is better than a righty serving up short porch bombs to lefties.

Ya'll enjoy the game, its on here this morn, hope I can stay awake....! Good Bye, and Good Day.....!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. Mattingly23NY

BTW-59, Cappy was this year, and used in relief in approx. 38 innings earlier in Bean Town. Cut, on July 1st, 014, picked up to a Minor Lg. contract with CO. Cut, picked up by Cashman 24 days later.

I know I'm not expecting much out of Cappy, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see him re-invent himself and return to success, especially Pinstripe success, f'k the Bums...(less their Skipper of course)......!!!

16. Mattingly23NY

Never MInd, I just saw the Yanx-Jays thread by 59, Yep, that makes 17 in a row, lets pray for Cappy and 18.....!