Cry Smoltz Cry

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Yankeefan5545, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Watching the "On Deck Circle" Smoltz and Matt V still crying about that "gift" the Yankees got against Texas. I think Smoltz is still bitter about '96 and '99.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...yeah, some people forget that in that '96 series, after being blown out a home in the first 2 games, the Yanx rebounded and defeated what was possibly the greatest 4 man rotation in the history of the game. In succession, the Yanx overcame Smoltz, Glavine, Maddox, and Avery.

3. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I loved that rotation, but still hold the O's great staff of Palmer, McNally, Cuellar, and Dobson more....just saying....all 20 game winners. Yet those Braves could pop out some great 20 game winners of their own....loved it when the Yanx swept the last 4, and were in Atlanta to take the Trophy. I had only been in Perry Ga. about 1/2 a year. Had a BLAST with that one, getting harassed by Braves Fans, only to exact our revenge.......!!! PAY UP sucker(s)... I can hear it like yesterday.... :lol:

4. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Game 5 in '96 was outstanding, always remember O'Neil with bad wheels running down that Polonia fly to end the game. Then in '99 after the Braves beat the Mets Chipper Jones said "Yawl best go git yo Yankee geah, you heah. Atlanta got a Woodshed Whacking in that series. Weird thing to me is that Atlanta had those good staffs but could only win one World Series.

5. yankeesince59

...actually, the Yanx won the deciding games 6 in NY, not Atlanta.

...and fwiw, this site has the Braves #1 and the O's at # 5. (I know it's up for debate...just sayin')

6. yankeesince59

...that series really took a drastic turn in game 4 when the Yanx were behind 6-0 and looking at going down 3 games to 1 but tied it, and then Bobby Cox made some VERY questionable moves in the 8th inning. With runners on 1st and 2nd he then put the go ahead run on 2B by intentionally walking Bernie to load the bases (galactically stupid move)...Torre countered by pinch hitting Boggs for Andy Fox. Cox also weakened himself defensively by replacing McGriff with Klesko (another bad move)...Boggs had one of the best eyes in the game and worked a walk to put the Yanx ahead. Then Klesko boots an easy ball hit to him and the Yanx went up 8-6.
    ...so instead of being down 3 games to 1, the Yanx tied the series 2-2...and "the rest is history".

7. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Smoltz....nice hair.

8. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    joe had no probs showing Atlanta was HIS town long prior to Cox....as well as de bronx