Jerry Jones admits Cowboys were ‘that close’ to drafting Manziel

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by truebluefan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones can’t help himself. Instead of focusing on training camp, Jones gave new life to an old story during a live segment Sunday on the NFL Network.

Jones admitted the Cowboys were close to drafting former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel with the 16th overall pick. Jones resisted and chose Notre Dame guard Zack Martin. The Cleveland Browns eventually picked Manziel with the 22nd overall choice.
    ADVERTISEMENT

“I want you to know that almost as I was handing in the card, it was that close to putting that Manziel card in. It was that close,” Jones said. “I looked over to my son, Stephen, our chief executive officer, and I said ‘I took the right pick.’ ... He was the top player by three players on our board at the time that we were sitting there looking at him.”

Jones added: “The question was, ‘Could we make it work with Tony Romo during the period of time that we are going to have Tony?’ And by the way, my expectations are that Tony will be our quarterback several years to come as we move along.

“But Manziel is special. I know him personally. I know that he is going to be a success in the National Football League, and it was a hard decision. And it is one that I will probably have for the rest of my career think about.”

When talking to reporters after practice, Stephen Jones declined to relive draft night. He said he preferred to focus on what the Cowboys needed to do to win this season.

- See more at: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/07/27/5999488/jerry-jones-admits-cowboys-were.html?rh=1