Torre snubbed the Boss

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Pastafazul, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Pastafazul

Pastafazul Banned User BANNED

no doubt about it! still bitter... don't know how anyone could think differently.

2. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

If you read the story, Joe felt terrible about the omission & said that he would make up for it at the stadium during the ceremony retiring his number. He did however say early in his speech that the only reason he was being inducted was because of the New York Yankees. So I disagree Pasta I don't think his not mentioning the boss had anything to do with him being bitter.

3. Pastafazul

that b true rick , could it be possible that he didn't think the media would get on him for it as much, joe ain't dumb... he claims he doesn't write out his own speeches, his was 28 minutes long almost 10 minutes longer then the rest.... kinda makes you think

4. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  5. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Well at least Joe gives George plenty of recognition in his book-"The Yankee Years", not always what George wanted to hear, but Joe does have a place in his heart for George, despite his shortcomings, temper, micro-management, and praise too.

His mention of: "let face it, I wouldn't be here without the NY Yankees, to me includes et al.....

He will make up for it.....yet, I don't see the snub, .... regardless of HOF speeches, Joe seemed to of either memorized his, as I didn't see him glance at a teleprompter or notes. Most HOF speeches, often forget one person or another.....

Hell, when I buried my best friend, and gave a eulogy, I forgot to mention his Mother, didn't mean I didn't like her, or He didn't love her very much....I too had to make my amends, more with myself, than his Mom, who understood, in a critical speech, moment, its only human to not be perfect...Just ask Don Larsen,....! Don WAS perfect one time, when it counted, but not even Don or anyone else can always be perfect....!

chalk it up to mishap, not snub....! I can't find it to be intentional, tho' some can easily debate otherwise, and I'll respect your opinion Pasta...!

I often have been known to say: "If you didn't mean to do it, then you wouldn't have done it", or vice versa, yet I just honestly don't see it....the snub.....!

Hail Yankees....!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. Pastafazul

it's really not my opinion, i heard this convo on the wfan today and i wanted to hear your thoughts, who is joe torre anyway, i thought the yankee skipper all thoese years was zimmer, aka the general

7. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    :lol: good one, I did enjoy how Joe paid his respects to Zim....one class act, and yep, a Yankee Skipper in his own right....!

Thanks Pasta, I'll respect anyone's opinion even tho' it may differ other than my own. And, yep, I too like to hear other opinions which differ from my own, food for thought....fodder....

8. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Zimmer was to Torre as was Patton to Eisenhower.

9. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Not a bad analogy Michael.