Let's Get Serious About Winning

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Bullsville, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    It's time for the Bulls to spend some of those PROFITS!!!! and get serious about winning championships.

3 simple trades, which I am 100% positive the other teams would make, would get the Bulls $5,695,076 over the Luxury Tax threshold and prove that they are actually serious about winning, PROFITS!!!!! be damned!

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6497333

Noah
    Gibson
    Mirotic
    Dunleavy

for

Amar'e''e'''
    Bargnani
    =======================================

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6497336

Rose

for

Joe Johnson
    ========================================

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6497343

McDermott
    Butler
    Snell
    Bairstow

for

Lin
    Sacre

Amar'e'''e''''' $23,410,988
    Johnson $23,180,790
    Bargnani $11,500,000
    Lin $8,374,646
    Gasol $7,128,000
    Hinrich $2,732,000
    Brooks $915,243
    Sacre $915,243
    7 vet min $2,536,680
    TOTAL $82,524,076

PG - Lin, Brooks
    SG- Hinrich
    SF- Johnson
    PF- Amar'e'''e'''''', Bargnani
    C- Gasol, Sacre

Plus 7 more veteran minimum players.

This would increase the team's payroll by $16,039,701 (24.1%). Obviously, that would mean the team's winning percentage would also increase by 24.1%.

Quit being cheap, Uncle Jerry!!! Git 'er done, GarPax!!!

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Dammit! I had August 1 in the pool for "When will the SportsTwo Bulls board cause Bullsville to lose his mind?"

3. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    Well, there's an asterisk - I have to drive to Nashville to pick up my son from the airport on Friday, so I had to lose my sanity a little early. So really, you deserve a mulligan on this one. :D

truebluefan likes this.
  4. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Or the Bulls could decide to be a high payroll team and spend the extra money on good, productive players.

Then they could be like pretty much all the teams that have won a NBA Championship during the tax era.

Or they can just keep doing what they are doing. No championships but still plenty of Profits!

-------

Its not worth getting so worked up about though. The Bulls are what they are. Maybe they will get lucky and win a title without having a high payroll. Probably not, but maybe some of these cheaper rookie contracts result in a couple stars in the next couple years and something good happens.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  5. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    I don't know if people will agree with my trade proposals, based on the Bulls' actual, factual history over the last 10 years:

Year..Payroll..Playoffs
    2014-8th, 1st rd
    2013-5th, 2nd rd
    2012-10th, 1st rd
    2011-27th, 3rd rd
    2010-13th, 1st rd
    2009-21st, 1st rd
    2008-21st, missed
    2007-26th, 2nd rd
    2006-19th, 1st rd
    2005-15th, 1st rd

The Bulls have been to the 2nd round 3 times in the last 10 years, and twice it happened when they were bottom-5 in the league in payroll.

They lost in the first round in 2009, let Ben Gordon walk for nothing, and went to the first round the next season.
    They lost in the first round in 2012, let Asik and Korver walk for nothing, and went to the second round the next season.

This season, after adding three minimum salary players to get the roster to 15, they will be ~$8.5 million under the luxury tax level, but they are unanimous favorites to reach the conference finals. Even after letting Deng walk for nothing.

So maybe the Bulls should just continue their practice of getting the best player they can, and putting together the best team they can, even if sometimes that means replacing a higher-paid player with a lower salary when it makes the TEAM better? (Yes, I'm aware that they've spent every available penny of cap space in 2010 and 2014 and the MLE in 2011, 2012 and 2013 when it was available)

6. transplant

Well, the Bulls could have kept Asik at essentially $8.3mil/year, but they would have had to hope that he was tradeable this summer if they wanted to get into the Carmelo hunt.

They could have offered Deng $14 or $15mil/season last February and I think Deng would've chosen to skip free agency...again though, no Anthony pursuit. Or they could've kept Deng without signing him, seen how the Anthony thing went and sign Deng (top his best offer) as Plan B...but then no Gasol. Maybe if they'd kept Deng til this summer he could've been used in a sign and trade...but probably not.

Some fans bemoan the fact that the Bulls didn't keep Nate Robinson and D.J. Augustin. However, those weren't money issues. They were talent evaluation issues where Forman and Paxson chose to use their taxpayer MLE on Dunleavy rather than Robinson (2013) and their available cap space on Gasol and Mirotic rather than Augustin.

I really liked Asik, but I like Gibson more...and I'd trade Gibson in a heartbeat as part of a Love deal or for a top-12 SG or SF. If we become attached to players, they need to be "win because of" guys, not "win with" guys. Asik, Gibson, and Deng for that matter, fall into the latter category IMO. When you overpay for win with players, you often regret it because it removes flexibility you may need to improve your team.

Or of course, Bulls management could adopt a pessimistic attitude and assume that, as many believe, no great players will want to come here. Then they don't need future flexibility and can overpay all their players as they choose.

Sorry...enough rambling. Time to play golf. Have a good day, guys.

7. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I love Taj but agree he is not untouchable if the deal is right.

8. kukoc4ever

Maybe, although being a medium payroll team despite being a large market, large revenue, large Profits! team has resulted in 2 division championships, 0 conference championships and 0 NBA championships in over a decade.

So it depends on what you are looking for in the NBA franchise you root for.

I feel that being medium payroll puts the Bulls at a competitive disadvantage relative to the high payroll teams. The teams that win championships appear willing to be high payroll for stretches in order to accomplish it, along with making wise basketball decisions.

But, others may feel differently. You can break down any individual transaction and debate its plusses and minuses, and spin it whatever way you please. Its been done over and over in these types of forums.

In aggregate, the Bulls methodology doesn't have the results, if the results are measured by banners in the rafters, which is what I'm looking for as a fan.

The Bulls are on the top of the Forbes list. They make decisions that lead to high Profits!, which is respectable when viewed from another lens, but not necessarily from that of a basketball fan wanting their team to win the NBA Championship.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

9. kukoc4ever

But I believe that both you and I feel that the Bulls were not realistically in the Melo hunt, right? They certainly were not poised to make a competitive financial offer.
    (I think TB#1 has stated he thought it was a longshot as well)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  10. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    I guess I'm just a realistic fan that has seen the current ownership bring the Bulls more NBA championships than any franchise in professional sports in North America in the time it has owned the team.

I guess I'm just a realistic fan that expects there will be a period of rebuilding after the most dominant decade in professional sports since World War II.

I guess I'm just a realistic fan that actually breaks down each transaction on its own merits, because having a high payroll without highly talented players is only accomplished by overpaying average players.

I guess I'm just an average fan who isn't naive enough to think that an uber-successful businessman like Reinsdorf doesn't understand that championships mean more profits because of the increased value of a championship team.

But that's just me, every fan is more than welcome to have their own expectations.

11. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    Agreed, Taj is certainly not untouchable.

Is it just me, or are many Bulls fans who bitched that we didn't match Asik's offer the same ones who are now complaining that "we have too many front-court players". They wanted us to match Asik under the premise that "we could have traded Asik (or Noah)", as if we can't trade Gibson (or Noah) now?

12. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    How's that 17 year rebuilding plan working out for us?

Realistic. :lol:

13. kukoc4ever

Pre-tax era and with the GOAT. That was a very, very long time ago at this point. Close to multiple decades. Almost to the point of irrelevancy.

We'll see if it happens again. Going to be hard with an average payroll. Hopefully they will get lucky.

In this tax era, 2 division championships, 0 conference championships, 0 NBA championships. Woot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The scenario isn't Taj or Asik, and Noah.

It's Taj AND Asik AND Noah.

Asik is way better than Nazr or Boozer, who we had to play at C since we didn't have Asik.

As if we couldn't trade Asik or Noah or Taj now.

15. transplant

If you, me and TB#1 combine our NBA inside knowledge, we've still got nuthin'. Most fans and observers I heard/read felt that Anthony was THE perfect fit for what the Bulls needed. Some bona fide insiders claimed the Bulls had a chance. How would it have gone down if GarPax would have told the press that "K4E, TB#1 and transplant think we're wasting our time so we've broken off talks with Mr. Anthony's camp."

16. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

So all three of you are to blame! Oh great.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The Bulls did the right thing in trying, but it was pretty obvious Melo wasn't going anywhere. It seems like the greats pass through town, say nice things about Chicago, then take their talents elsewhere. That should be the expectation, and when that is proven wrong, we can be happy about it.

I thought Melo would be a great fit for us, even more so than Love. As good as you might think the Bulls are on paper, they still lack that 2nd guy who can manufacture points if defenses focus on taking Rose out of the game.

I thought Noah might be able to be a point center, but the more I remember teams trapping Rose at half court, he's going to end up getting the ball near half court, too. Not his comfort zone.

They have to play the games. We will see once playoffs cone around.

18. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    What every expert I heard say was that the Bulls were THE perfect fit for what Melo allegedly wanted... to win.

That's why people in his "inner circle" wanted him to become a Bull - winning makes you money. Lots of money. Short term and long term. Anyone with even half a brain knows that.

19. transplant

When the clueless know they are clueless they can never be to blame.

20. kukoc4ever

Well, of course not, but then what would the point be of internet message boards. :)

I never felt the Bulls were positioned well to get Melo to come here, since they couldn't even offer a MAX salary.

There was just all this talk of a Melo hunt, and many fans that pay closer than average attention were not at all surprised that the Bulls could not execute.