US Wants to Criminalize Movie and Music Streaming

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

SOPA and PIPA are dead, but the Obama administration is still determined to make illicit movie and streaming a felony. The DOJ argues that change is needed to adequately prosecute unauthorized streaming services. In addition, the administration is requesting permanent funding to target foreign sites such as The Pirate Bay through "diplomatic and trade-based pressure."

Yesterday the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing on punishments for and remedies against online copyright infringement. One of the speakers was David Bitkower, Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General, who laid out the wishes of the Obama administration.

http://torrentfreak.com/obama-administration-wants-criminalize-movie-streaming-140725/

2. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

While the UK is making it all illegal to pirate media. =[ I wonder who has money involved in politics here.

3. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    You should change the headline to "Politicians Want to Criminalize Movie and Music Streaming". Lobbying works, and both the recording and movie industries give a lot of money to politicians. Does one think Chris Dodd runs the MPAA because of his artistic vision?

4. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I thought he was supposed to be a Democrat, maaaaaaan.

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Hilarious. On which side do you think Hollywood and the music industry is on?

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Those darned Democrats are defending capitalism again. Good thing we Republicans will ninny, whether they go left or right.

7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    There's a big difference between being pro-business and pro-free enterprise. I'm the latter.

8. SlyPokerDog

Really? We have to spin this into partisan bullshit again?

We need to find a different way to deal with this other than trying to turn a bunch of teens and 20 somethings into felons. This is not a problem that should be handled by the legal system.

9. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Yep. Technology has changed. Legislating Luddite channels won't work. The real issue is that music companies have already lost power and the studios are next. More money will go to the artists and less to the execs. Media will become cheaper. The value proposition will have to change. You should pay for a movie theater because you want to see the show a few weeks ahead of others and because of the screen and sound system, not because you can't see it anywhere else.

These businesses are dinosaurs. My guess is they won't adapt; they'll die.

10. NewsSource

NewsSource Banned User BANNED

The Bush administration basically did the same thing to shut down Napster and other music file "sharing" scams. After some bumps and bruises, Spotify now exists (along with others such as iTunes) to allow both streaming and purchasing.

Stealing is stealing; it's nice to see the Obama administration do something to protect intellectual property, regardless of any assigned or perceived motive.

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Well, first of all, we need to make it illegal for politicians to take money from corporations or lobbyist groups representing corporations.

No more lobbying. Our government is a corrupt cesspool facade.

The government isn't serving and protecting the people anymore. This legislation is proof that they're protecting the corporations (their true masters).

12. NewsSource

Macklemore and Lewis showed that you don't need a big label to get your art out there these days. The only reason for major labels is financial security for old acts. The real issue will be what happens to each company's music catalog as these monolithic entities start to merge and then evaporate.

13. NewsSource

Add unions to that list and I would agree. Citizens United is hated by the left because it gives corporations the same rights as labor unions. It's as simple as that. I'd love it if both unions and corporations weren't allowed to donate money to politicians. Good luck with it, though.

This also protects independent movies and TV shows. I'm not sure what the problem with it could be, other than people might have to start paying for movies, as they should.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    That's not a possibility on the table. The Supreme Court has equated monetary donation with free speech and ruled that corporations qualify as people when it comes to the right of free speech. So they've essentially begun the move towards any restriction on political donation being unconstitutional.

15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And the supreme court is wrong. Corporations are not "people."

The problem with allowing corporations and lobbying groups to donate large sums of money is that it completely cancels out the ability of the average citizen to have a voice. If someone wants to run for office, and they don't toe the company line, their opponent gets all the money. You can't win in politics without money. At least not with the way the current system is operating. So if we allow corporations to essentially buy politicians as though they are playing cards, we are putting the control of the country in the hands of organizations that simply don't give a shit about the people. They care about one thing: profit. They will run this country into the ground and not even give it a second thought. We see it with Comcast, we see it with Monsanto, and we see it with Nestle. They don't give a shit about the consequences of their actions, and they buy off the people who are supposed to be regulating them.

A VP from a company like Monsanto can leave his job, become the head of the FDA and help to pass legislation that favors his former company, and then leave the FDA and go back to Monsanto where he makes millions.

How is that legal?

16. SlyPokerDog

I'm not saying people shouldn't have to pay for movies and TV shows but should the penalty for that be a felony? I'm just not seeing it.

In this forum we have people asking for streaming links to Blazer games, either because they don't have Comcast or they don't live in the area. Should the posting or viewing of those streams be a felony? This seems like a civil matter, not a criminal one.

17. NewsSource

Are organized and tax-exempt labor unions "people?"

I ask, because I'm literally the only employee at my corporation. It's an LLC, but it's still a corporation.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  18. NewsSource

Felony does seem harsh. Perhaps just a $1k fine for a first offense, and criminality on a second offense? I understand both sides of the argument, and have to think that there is a nuanced solution that can be compromised.

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I'm not disagreeing with you, Nate, I'm just saying that removing lobbying and massive political donations for quid pro quo is really not going to be possible for the foreseeable future. Not when the Supreme Court has enshrined it as "protected speech."

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Exactly right. And the studios have the same setup. The only difference is that currently it's much harder to make a movie than an album. However, technology could change it within a few decades.