Screamin' A Smith suspended

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Mediocre Man, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Our fav was suspended for a week due to comments regarding the abuse of women. Said women should watch what they say and do, so they dont bring it on themselves. ESPN suspended him 1 week.

Had he worked for the NFL network he probably would have been promoted

2. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

People who take that stance regarding women are usually fairly poor individuals. Not the kind of people who should be on TV voicing their opinion, period.

It's time to heal our women, be real to our women. If we don't, we will have a race of babies that will hate the ladies, that make the babies.

Strenuus likes this.
  4. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

haha screw SAS.

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    He's funny...

6. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

wow how can someone in today's society even say something like that? Ok, now back to playing Grand Theft Auto....get dem hoes

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    That's not actually what he was saying, but he didn't say what he was trying to say very clearly. The intent was to say that it's on everyone to reduce the violence, and hitting your man is a bad idea too, that can precipitate additional violence, however he said several times that a man should never hit a woman, even if being hit upon, unless there is a weapon.

I was listening to the show in question thinking, damn, he better clarify his statements, but he didn't.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  8. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Read what he said. He's absolutely right.

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    He's a good guy. ESPN is known to treat its employees badly. They sure treated their message board posters badly.

I'd like to see more nonwimpy angry black men in the mass media.

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

See, I heard his comments and interpreted them as saying, " We vilify men for hitting women, and rightfully so, but we shouldn't give the women an absolute pass on their own behavior. They certainly don't deserve to be hit, but they're not necessarily pure as the driven snow either. Let's look into all the details of these altercations and appropriately criticize both sides, not just one."

Is that really all that unreasonable?

11. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    As a man who was hit by my wife (and is still pushed down steps by her, like when I could barely stand when my health was bad a couple years ago), I can tell you that I don't really give a shit about the gender of my attacker. I will defend myself whether anyone likes it or not.

"Never hit a woman" is bullshit. That's what she's say as she hit me.

12. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Although I don't think it's appropriate for them to be struck practically any time, women shouldn't act as if they have impunity due to their gender. Whoppie Goldberg made a pretty decent point that women should not behave with the expectation that men will never retaliate whether or not the retaliation itself is justifiable--at least she tried to as the clucking hens on the show tried to drown her out. I think Screamin' A is thinking along these lines as well. People misunderstand his point about provocation because he was specifically referring to RR's wife (supposedly) hitting him first (not just any old taunting). I also don't think it's appropriate for women to get their men into a fight with other men on their behalf. If you're going to wind up some random dude at the bar don't drag me into that. Somebody hits their head, pulls a knife--too much can go wrong.

13. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

While not exactly what SAS said, part of safety planning in certain situations is to avoid triggers for the assailant. Obviously the safest plan is to try to safely extract yourself from the relationship, but often the person is not prepared to do that. What SAS said was very poorly phrased and amounted to victim blaming. But, there are some kernels of truth in there. Unfortunately, women often are not prepared or equipped to leave a relationship and have to avoid triggering assaults for their own safety. They do not bear responsibility, but their own safety sometimes depends on them walking on eggshells. Sad but true. *cue Metallica riff now*

14. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I don't get all the hitting. Not only have I never hit a woman, but one has never hit me. I think often brutes attract brutes, but the larger muscled male brute usually wins.

And they are the same people who get in regular fights too. We all know those people that every 6 months has a new story about how somebody out of the blue picked a fight with them. Well, nobody ever picks a fight with me. I'm not a pacifist or anything, I just never find a reason to get that mad and I never piss others off enough to get that mad at me.

In both platonic and intimate relationships, if I ever get even close to that pissed I just leave and figure I'll deal with it later, but even that only happens once in a blue moon. But I do kick kids in the throats.

15. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    When I was around 21 years old, I came upon a guy beating the hell out of a woman on the sidewalk near a couple bars. The woman begged for help, so I took the guy by the arm to reason with him. He took a swing at me and then another with threats to my life. I laid him on the sidewalk, and then the woman waded into me, flailing me with her purse and also threating my life.
    Geez, I felt stupid, I ran. I try to avoid this sort of possibility every since. I know a few cops that also hate to get involved in a domestic situation.

16. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, the way you said it, not unreasonable at all.
    The way Screamin' A said it - well, I don't know, I haven't listened to it...

barfo

17. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

While one can probably place blame of domestic violence on many different apects . . . focusing on the victim's conduct is, in sports terms, not keeping your eye on the ball.

18. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    On a sports message board, most guys grew up tougher than the average young male. Never having been hit much, they are lost when presented with anecdotes contrary to the stereotype that all men are tougher than all women.

When you lack experience to the contrary, you blindly follow the icons and stereotypes in which the media indoctrinates you.

19. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Holy shit, I had the same thing happen to me. I was driving home late one night from work in Chicago, and saw this guy beating the shit out of this girl in Lincoln Park. I jumped out of my car and grabbed the guy. He took a swing at me, so I used the little self-defense I know and put him on his stomach with his arm pinned behind him, and tried to immobilize him with the threat of snapping his elbow.

All of the sudden blows started raining down on me. I figured someone else had stopped and gotten the wrong idea. Who was it? The woman the maggot was throttling a moment earlier. I got up, said "you two deserve each other" and went back to my car. Both of them were swearing a blue streak at me. Unbelievable.

On the bright side, I think I helped cement a Love Connection. Those two were made for one another.

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I have never understood physical violence toward someone about whom you supposedly care. There is nothing my wife could do that would cause me to strike her. Even if she went crazy and tried to shoot or stab me, the most I would try to do is restrain her.