Congresional group wants to ban overseas tax evaders from doing gov.contract work

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Eastoff, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Congresional group wants to ban overseas tax evaders from doing gov.contract ...

Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me....

I'm against companies leaving the country for tax shelter, but doing this could create an economic disaster. It could start a snowball of terrible foreign affairs, making the U.S. Into a isolationist country.

Maybe the country should stop trying to run companies and actually try and run the country?

3. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Sounds good to me. It's tempered to state it only applies to companies with at least 50% of the shareholders being American AND the company is being incorporated in a country in which the company does not have major business. So basically it's laid out the groundwork to say this applies to companies who are incorporating elsewhere just to avoid tax.

Long time overdue. And even so, it's not doing anything other than saying our govt will not do business with a company avoiding payments to our govt. they can still do business with ford or Johnson and Johnson.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Didn't Haliburton get billions in contracts and then bail overseas to limit taxes?

5. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Re: Congresional group wants to ban overseas tax evaders from doing gov.contract ...

So from this sentiment, I would make an assumption, you are in favor of NAFTA. Is that correct?

6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Re: Congresional group wants to ban overseas tax evaders from doing gov.contract ...

What ever happened to letting contracts to the low bidder? But then why not change the tax laws that you object have someone use? This sounds like
    old fashion bitching.

7. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Why are overseas companies getting U.S. government contracts, whether they are tax shelters or not?

8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    A damn good question! Why did Obama's administration hire a Canadian company to set up his OBama care website? Dang, I can think of many companies that have some experiance with doing high volume transaction processing like Toronto Dominion Bank (TD) or Royal Bank of Canada and many in the US, but they didn't hire one of these. They hired one without a clue.

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Maybe we owed Canada somehow, like to maintain a trade deficit balance, or Nafta compliance. I don't know international economics. But isolationism doesn't seem as bad as they say it is. I can see the small loss in efficiency from a few higher prices, but the offset is that employment is forced up to manufacture formerly foreign products.

10. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull

Yes I am in favor of free trade between the North American countries. Problem is it's not tax free. I've dealt with many companies in Mexico and Canada and we pay taxes and duties still. It's a bunch of bullshit too