Batum's Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerManiac, Jul 30, 2014.

1. BlazerManiac

BlazerManiac Member

The following link is a great article:

http://ripcityproject.com/2014/07/29/nicolas-batum-impact-consistency/

This is an excellent article on Nicolas Batum. It states what I have been stating for the last few years on www.imatrailblazersfan.com and I get persecuted for it. I was called a blazer hater, that I hated Batum (which I do not) because I was critical of his performance and overall that all my posts were negative. I totally ripped for sharing my opinion and backing them up with facts.

Batum is consistent at being inconsistent as this article states. Yes he has intangible assets, however he also has intangible liabilities and the biggest one is lack of aggressive getting into the offensive flow of the game. Compare him to Wes and there is no comparison. Wes shows up with passion every night to play with all of his heart and soul. You never know which Batum shows up.

If Batum played 80% of the time, like he does those nights where he scores 20 plus points, the Blazers would have gone farther in the playoffs. His game was more glaring before we had Damian as he brought an additional scoring punch consistently that we should have gotten from Batum. Now with Damian, when Batum disappears, it is less evident.

Batum’s no trade clause is up. He needs to be packaged with Leonard, CJ, Freeland or someone else (excluding Wes and TRob) and get some better consistent talent.

Wes and TROB are key components to the Blazers future. Wes is the heart of the team. We have only gotten a glimpse of what TRob can do.

Nicolas had a so-so run here, I think he would be better served on another team

2. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    He's a saner, smaller, EuroSheed.

The lesson that the Pistons demonstrated with Wallace was don't try to force the issue. Accept his limitations and work your team around it.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. Batum is a bit passive, but he's definitely solid enough to keep us in the game. I think losing him, without getting a all star talent in return (and I'm not talking about a 1 year allstar either), it will be really damaging.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

From your own link,

"Batum was one of only eight players (and one of only four small forwards) in the entire league last year to average 10 points, five rebounds, and five assists."

My question to you is considering how rare it is for a small forward to average those numbers what kind of production do you expect from his replacement?

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Being a very late first round pick......Couldn't be happier.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    This.

Score!

Go are you realistically going to get who is better? Slim pickings.

7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think maxiep comparing him with Sheed is appropriate, but maybe for a different reason. I think with both, they are/were talented enough to carry the scoring burden some nights but not talented enough (as a scorer, anyway) to do it every night. Talent isn't just what you can do on your best nights...it's also what you can do consistently.

People assumed that because some nights Sheed was an unstoppable beast that he just didn't care or try on nights when he wasn't one. People made the fairly crazy assertion that he was as or more talented than Tim Duncan. He wasn't. He was very talented, enough to be a great defender and sometimes a great scorer, but not a consistently dominant scorer. Batum is also quite talented, enough to be a good scorer sometimes, but not consistently so.

I don't think Batum fails to "show up" in terms of effort. He's simply not a talented enough scorer to succeed at it every night.

8. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Nic is the mortar between the stones. He fills all the nooks and crannies, wherever he's needed. We don't need consistent production from him, we need consistent effort. You don't lead the league in distance traveled if you're not giving it your all every night.

9. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

He may be inconsistent, but at least he's not incontinent. That would be tough as a basketball player!

10. BlazerManiac

BlazerManiac Member

As the Article points out, yes over the season he has those stats, but he needs to be more aggressive. There are games where he literally disappears and goes MIA. Look at his game stats and you will see what I am talking about. He is one of the most naturally gifted athletes but if he lived up to his potential 80% of the time, Portland would be extremely tough to beat in the Playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4487/gamelog/

11. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I think Batum is at his worst when he is trying to force his offense. I cringe when I see him trying to force the issue. He is the kind of player that really has to let the game come to him. What is nice is if the his shot isn't available he helps out in many other areas of the game.

Not that Batum is untouchable. If Blazers can get an all star SF for Batum and pieces, they should do it. But I don't think Blazers should be looking to package Batum. His age and game fits well with Dame.

12. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Batum is the rug from The Big Lebowski. He really ties the room together.

13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

http://sportstwo.com/threads/256726-Mid-Season-Analysis-Blazers-will-not-make-it-past-first-round

14. magnifier661

OMG that was perfect!

15. magnifier661

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Well, based upon what I've seen you post in this forum, you're pretty much in the negative nancy group. (dark side of the force)

17. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I don't think Batum is our problem. Expecting him to be someone he's not might be our problem...

barfo

illmatic99 likes this.
  18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yes, your Batum hate is ridiculous. Please read and re-read all of the above responses if you would like to get a clue.

The only thing we need to do with Nico, is cut down on his minutes. The guy leads the league in miles traveled on the court. How the fuck do you expect him to have the offensive aggression of Paul George (he isn't and shouldn't try to be, but that's another point) night in and night out if he's dog assed tired?

Batum is our Swiss Army Knife. Embrace it.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Nico is a great part of this team. He's unselfish, at anytime a triple double threat and if you notice, he makes Rolo, Freeland or whoever is in the post an offensive threat. If you watched last season at all, he got easy buckets for Rolo all the time. He also guards the toughest guys on the opposing team night in and night out. I haven't read much Batum bashing since I left iamatrailblazer.com's forum and gotta say I haven't missed those arguments here at all. Interesting that while migrating to this site BM, you brought the same Nico complaints you filled pages with over the years at the old fansite. After the success of last season, you might have something supportive to say for a change one would think. Nico is a rare talent that makes any team much better. Sure he can improve. He's one year older than Lillard.

20. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Batum needs that drive, passion, killer instinct, aggressiveness that Matthews has. Batum coasts far to often and it drives me crazy!