OT: 8 MLB Records That Probably NEVER Will Be Broken

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Mattingly23NY, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Of course DiMaggio's hit streak, Ryan's No Hitters, Big Units Cy Youngs, and Yanx World Series, consecutive Wins, or appearances in consecutive years we know will most probably NOT be broken, yet those are not ODD records-see as follows:

8 ODD- baseball records that probably will never get broken

8. 2 Grand Slams in One Inning

Fernando Tatis is the only Major Leaguer to accomplish the feat of hitting two grand slams in one inning, jacking those bombs off Chan Ho Park back in 1999. Tatis killed two birds with one stone recently when he reminded us all of his amazing feat and ripped the Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in one mean Tweet:

7. 680 Innings Pitched in One Season

These days it’s an accomplishment to throw 200 innings in a season. If you can handle that workload, you’re likely taking home a salary of about $6 million. If you’ve done it a bunch of times, you might earn about $13 to $16 million per season and get a long-term deal in the process.

But back in the day, a dude named Will White threw 680 innings in one season. You heard me. 6-8-0. Of course that was back in 1879, when men were men. Boxers fought for 100+ rounds. They rode horses for miles and miles. They were all Deadwood-y and rubbed dirt on broken bones, nothing like the divas that have to ice their arms for four days before they go throw 5 1/3 innings on the fifth.

White started 75 games that season and completed all 75. The Atlanta Braves had one of the best pitching staffs last season. They totaled all of one complete game.

6. Four Consecutive Home Runs Allowed
    This might even be be a difficult task for a batting practice pitcher, but giving up four bombs in a row has happened three times in a major league game. Dave Bush was the last to do it back in 2010. Adam LaRoche hit the first bomb, followed by Miguel Montero, Mark Reynolds and Stephen Drew.

You’re probably laughing at Dave Bush right now, thinking how he must have sucked. Dave Bush made about $14 million in his career. That’s a smirk-eraser right there.

5. 122 Errors in One Season
    Things weren’t always better in the old days. I think the gloves were made out of cow dung and leaves, and the fields were made of cement and littered with rocks and dead animal carcasses. That’s the only explanation I can come up with for Herman Long’s 122 errors in 1889. Billy Shindle matched that number in 1890.

I can hear the manager in the postgame chat. “Game ball to Hermie today. Just one error for the entire game!” Then the team yelled Huzzah or something.

4. Three Hits in One Inning

getting three hits in one inning seems like an impossibility. Your team has to bat around twice, you have to get to the dish three times and then get hits in each of those at-bats. The odds? I don’t have an exact number but something along the lines of Cubs winning the World Series. But it has been done three times in MLB history, with Johnny Damon the last player to get it done. Damon did it with the Red Sox in a 2003 game against the Marlins, getting three hits off three different pitchers.

Damon led off the bottom of the first with a double off Carl Pavano. He tripled in his next at-bat off Michael Tejera. In his next at-bat he singled off Allen Levrault, who sounds more like a goalie than a pitcher. The fun would have kept going but Bill Mueller got thrown out at home on Damon’s single. They scored 14 in the inning and won 25-8. Damon finished with five hits and a sweet piece of history.

3. Granny Left, Granny Right

Speaking of Mueller, he may spoil near-historic innings by getting nailed at the plate, but just a month after that game he pulled off a feat never done before or since in MLB: hitting a grand slam from both sides of the plate in one game.

Mueller first slammed right-handed off Aaron Fultz in the 7th inning. He came up in the 8th and slammed again, this time left-handed off Jay Powell. Oh, and Mueller also hit a solo shot of R.A. Dickey to start the 3rd inning. He finished the day going 3-5 with three home runs and nine RBI.

2. Back-to-Back Jacks Madness
    Another rare record is back to back home runs by the same teammates in the same inning. The odds? Something like Lions winning the Super Bowl. But Mike Cameron and Bret Boone did it in 2002 when they played for the Mariners against the White Sox.

Ichiro got plunked on the very first pitch of the game. Boone homered on the second. Cameron homered next. The M’s batted around and Boone jacked another homer, with Ichiro scoring again. Then Cameron hit his second of the inning. They did it off two different pitchers — Jon Rauch, a righty and Jim Parque, a lefty.

Cameron ate his Wheaties — or something tasty — that morning. He then homered in the third inning and the fifth, finishing the day with four solo home runs.

1. Get the Piano Off Your Back
    Victor Martinez has had a long and successful major league career. The sweet-swinging, switch-hitter will be playing in his 12th season this year. While Martinez has hit for power and average, no one would ever accuse him of being fleet of foot. That caught up to him one fateful day in 2011, his first year with the Detroit Tigers.

Playing DH and batting fifth in a September game against the Twins, Martinez hit into four double plays, something only done twice before in major league history. Let’s give him a bit of a break though — only the first three were off ground balls. In his last at-bat he lined out and Miggy Cabrera got doubled up.

It didn’t really matter as the Tigers won 2-1, notching their ninth straight win, a streak they would ride to 12 games.

Courtesy of:

http://guyism.com/sports/8-insane-baseball-records-will-never-get-broken.html#ixzz390cfnTxS

2. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

You picked some rare ones Rob but how about the Obvious ones like Cy Young's 500 wins, DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak, Barry Bonds being walked 232 times in the same season, Nolan Ryan's 7 career no hitters, & Ripkins games played streak just to name a few.

3. Mattingly23NY

I thought about putting together a list of the "Obvious" records, which would make a much better post.....Do you wan't to go for that one, or would you like to assist me on doing as much. We could email each other, til we got a good list of Obvious Real records, for lack of better word(s).....

I'd prefer to do non-odd records over these Odd records....

give it a thought let me know...thanks buddy, hope your doing well. BTW-when, what day did you say your flying to CO? and did your daughter decide to stay in the Springs or move to Arkansas...?

4. Rick2583

Mid September & for now still in Colorado. Waiting for her husband to land a job in Arkansas. This could take awhile.

5. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I have to ask... Would the walks record by Bonds be subject to an asterisk? I mean pitchers were fearing the PED-induced long ball....

6. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...another record that will never be broken is Johnny Vander Meer's 2 consecutive no hitters.

(someone would have to throw THREE to break it)

7. Rick2583

I don't think that one will even be matched let alone broken. How about 4 HRs in a game? Someone would have to hit 5.

8. yankeesince59

...how about Reggie in the WS?...technically, he hit 4 consecutive HRs on 4 consecutive pitches.

9. Mattingly23NY

Those are untouchable incredible records....! It would take Superman and the Boy Wonder to break any of these 3 records. Ryan's K record IMO will remain intact as untouchable. 7 No-No's achievable but not likely, esp. with the lack of complete game pitchers, or the lack of slam the door bull pens.....

10. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

It is absolutely possible to break some of those records/accomplishments including Joe D's 56 game hitting streak.

There is one obscure accomplishment/record with is utterly impossible to break under the current scheduling, format and regulations. Darold Knowles (A's), pitched in 7 games of the 1973 world series vs the Mets.
    This can only be equaled- impossible to break.

11. Rick2583

Or for a starting pitcher to start 5 world series games as the Pittsburgh Pirates Deacon Phillippe did in the 1903 world series.

12. yankeesince59

...the NY Giants did not allow an earned run in the 1905 World Series. (5 games)

13. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

I pay little attention to dead ball era baseball.

Let it go.....let it go. It's like comparing 19th century frontier sheriffs with today's big city police departments.

14. Hammerojustice

Cranky much???? Good grief...

And you're telling someone else to let it go when you're complaining about my signature???? If it's such a big deal, why do they let us use one? And what's offensive about mine?

15. Rick2583

BTW: Steve how do you get that automatically put in every post? I have one of my own that I've always lived by & I'd like to have it added.

16. Hammerojustice

Go & edit your profile.... And as you are posting in quick reply "Show your signature" is checked off... If not, check it off.... I don't think I need to uncheck when there's nothing wrong with it...

17. Mattingly23NY

Nope not a thing wrong with it, and like I mentioned before, its a welcome addition, I've always liked Hammer's tag line, way back to the ESPN board days...

BTW-thanx guys for all the additions, you've all added some incredible records which will NEVER be broken, impossible to break. Outstanding on all your part. Pat yourselves on the backs....!

18. Rick2583

I clicked on "My profile" and I saw nothing that said "quick reply or signature" Remember I'm a computer illiterate. so step by step, how do I do this?

19. yankeesince59

...lol...I pay little attention to those who pay little attention.

20. Hammerojustice

My apologies. Next to my profile at the top, there is a setting option. Click on settings. Once that opens on the left in the bottom half you'll see a my profile category. Under that you'll see it say "edit signature". Click on that & enter whatever signature to your liking & voilà.