Impeachment?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by NewsSource, Jul 31, 2014.

1. NewsSource

NewsSource Banned User BANNED

Sheila Jackson-Lee is ranting that the Dems never thought of impeaching Bush.

Turns out she co-sponsored Kucinich's Articles of Impeachment in 2008.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katherinemiller/we-never-tried-to-impeach-bush-says-democratic-lawmaker-who

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
  3. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Meh, I am getting use to the Dems creating their own "truth". Stupid morons that refuse to believe anything not spoon fed to them allow this type of behavior.

As far as I can see, brownfinger and company are using all of this talk to divert attention away from the real issues. GOP would be morons to take the bait.

4. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

That's ridiculous. I don't get why someone would deny that there was an attempt to impeach W. It's not that hard to say "I don't think so, let me check my smart phone. Oh you're right."

5. NewsSource

The base she's speaking to can't remember who won last year's American Idol, let alone are they going to fact check anything one of the pols on their "team" says. That goes for the far-right pols, too.

L
    I
    V
    s

6. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    What do those letters represent?

7. NewsSource

Low Information Voters

Did you hear what Justin Bieber did yesterday?

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I did not hear.

9. NewsSource

It was shiny.

10. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

I watched the debate last night on the House Resolution to sue the president on C-Span. That was some interesting theater. I thought, oh now this is interesting, the Republicans had some interesting points. But I had to side with the Dems that the lawsuit is extremely transparent. You want to sue a President for not timely implementing a law that you never agreed with? That is a ridiculous position. I can't imagine that winning anyone any votes. Oh, and what exactly is the remedy going to be?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Death by paper cuts

12. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    It's a serious issue, for both sides. Do we want an Executive branch without any check on its powers? Can the Executive just enforce the laws it wishes and ignore others?

The Legislative branch is our most direct Federal representation, and should be the most powerful. Right now, however, it's the weakest. For too long, its power has been usurped on one side by the Judical branch--legislating from the bench--and on the other by the Executive branch, through selective enforcement and the use of regulation rather than law. It needs to take its power back.

Again, this isn't a Democrat vs. Republican thing for me. One day there will be a President with whom I mostly agree and a Congress with whom I mostly disagree. When that day comes, I don't wish for that President to act like our current one, nor for our Congress to be so neutered.

We are a country of laws. When you selectively enforce those laws or ignore them altogether, you have a dictatorship.

13. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

First off, I meant to rep this post and (without my glasses) hit the wrong button..before I realized what I had done..sorry bud..

Your last sentience was the perfect summation of a great post. Spot fucking on!

14. Sedatedfork

I guess I just don't see why anyone thinks it would be a good idea to institute the Affordable Care Act on the precise date stated in the law if the government and infrastructure is not yet equipped to do it. I think that the House Republicans will look silly justifying this lawsuit when campaign season rolls around.

15. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    That's a legitimate concern. My response would be to send a bill calling for a delay of 12 months to Congress. The Executive shouldn't just get to decide whatever they want.

The way it should work is Congress makes the laws, the Executive enforces the laws and the Judiciary decides on their Constitutionality. The way it works in practice is Congress passes a law that the Executive can decide whether to enforce or ignore and the Judiciary re-writes those laws as they see fit.

16. Sedatedfork

A different Congress passed the law. The new Congress would use it as a negotiating chip, we don't like the ACA, but we want to see it fail so no extension. Either enforce the crappy law as it is written, or get rid of it, would be exactly what they would say. That's how the government shutdown too. Holding the government hostage for political leverage. I guess I just see the implementation of the law (i.e. when it starts) as an Executive function. Now, on the other hand, I guess if the President didn't like the ACA and wanted to delay implementation because they didn't like the law, you might have a point. Arggghh! I don't know what to say, that was your counterpoint and a pretty good one too. I guess because I see the motivations in all of this, i.e. the President is trying to faithfully implement the law and Congress wants the law to fail so they want it implemented now, I give the President a pass. I just think the lawsuit reeks of bad faith. I say, pick a better battle Congress.

Eastoff and donkiez like this.
  17. NewsSource

I don't understand why the bill was rushed through congress in a 24-hour window, and I also don't understand why Pelosi and others took this photo op after doing so without having any debate on the subject. Clearly the bill wasn't ready to be enforced, so why the rush to pass it? It's the Dems 100%, they own it, so why would anyone expect the GOP to make amendments to it because it isn't ready to be implemented fully?

[​IMG]

18. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    No, actually they are suing his arse for the not implementing the law they did not agree with.
    He changed it without congress to avoid the pain this November. That sir, is transparent.

19. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    They had a number of choices of things to sue him over and chose one. Another might be him not enforcing immigration laws, effectively granting amnesty without an act of congress.

They have a point that the executive doesn't make laws. Congress not being satisfied with his actions might sue to force him to follow the laws as they're written. Only if Obama were held in contempt of court for refusing to obey the ruling might he be impeachable, IMO. Probably in his opinion, too.

I absolutely think they have standing and that the supreme court has to be the arbiter between the other two branches.

Presidents have been sued by individual members of congress before. That part is not unprecedented. In fact, Nixon was forced by the courts to turn over his tapes. Go figure.

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    What's the difference which Congress passed the law? The Congress is a reflection of the will of the people. Of course there will be a negotiation. There SHOULD be a negotiation. The Democrats still won't give the Republicans--an elected majority in the People's House--a voice in this legislation.

Laws are meant to be enforced by different Congresses and administrations. Was President Bush not beholden to laws signed by President Clinton? Of course he was.

What's not okay is for a President to pick and choose which laws he will or will not enforce.