Statement From Jerry Reinsdorf

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Bullsville, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
  2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Translation: It's all true, every word!

barfo

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    statement by Derrick Rose.

“I know it’s been there,’’ Rose told the Sun-Times, acknowledging there has been growing tension between the organization and his camp. “I heard there were some upset people.

“I’m happy I didn’t personally see it. I don’t want to see that. I kind of wonder where it was coming from because it seemed like whenever I was around, everything was all right. It bothered me because when I wasn’t around, I would hear from certain people that everything wasn’t all right.’’

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You know, quotes are basis and fact.

:lol:

5. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Loose lips sink ships.

Uncle Jerry is going to be on the rampage the next couple days.

Cowley seems to be one of the only writers writing for Chicago with a set and willing to actually challenge Uncle Jerry. Nice to see some beat writers that actually try to dig deep.

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Sycophants don't like Cowley because he's not a sycophant.

7. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I didn't like Cowley 'cause I felt he was basically a Ozzie Guillen mouthpiece for years.

Despite the Chairman's vehement denial, I believe the gist of what Cowley's written, that is, that members of Bulls' management (maybe not the Chairman himself) have often found themselves wanting to take a ballbat to Rose and his entire camp over the past couple years. Can't say I blame them since there's been a lot of money going out and just about nothing positive coming in from the Bulls-DRose relationship.

8. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm so confused by everything. Someone point me toward one negative thing D Rose said about the Bulls in his interview with Cowley? The article is notable for three reason:

First, this is the most concrete article we've seen that points toward Reggie Rose not speaking on behalf of either Derrick or BJ Armstrong. That's good to know. We'll be more wary of weird leaks in the future; not that we didn't already question some of the strange stuff we ran across.

Second, we learned that Derrick didn't really want Anthony and that he's happy with roster. Fine. Don't see any issue there. I'm disappointed Rose wasn't interested in playing with Anthony -- but if he wasn't interested in playing with Anthony it's certainly not his job to go out recruiting for the guy.

And third, we learned that Rose was happy with the roster. That's not a little thing.

Am I the only one who feels like Reinsdorf -- if it was actually Reinsdorf who wrote that statement -- didn't even read the article before he responded to it. His response doesn't seem to make any sense.

9. transplant

I think it could be a problem that DRose doesn't want a stud player like Anthony and that this may have affected (I don't think it did) Anthony's decision.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Anthony could not co-exist with Lin in NY. Lin was downright amazing in Anthony's absence. That the two couldn't play together led to NY letting Lin go.

The Heat had a similar issue with LeBron and Wade early on. They sort of took turns dominating the ball at the offensive end. After a while they realized that they needed one guy and that guy was LeBron. That didn't keep Wade from being brilliant anyway. Melo wants the ball in his hands to operate, which is understandable. So does Lin. So does Rose.

There's also the reports that Rose wanted Love. So why go after Anthony if Rose doesn't want him?

11. such sweet thunder

If I were to put words in your mouth (maybe) and I agree with this: we shouldn't assume we understand Derrick Rose's motivations. We don't know why Rose didn't want to play with Anthony. I could see a lot scenarios under which it wouldn't have worked -- maybe that's what he saw.

And I have no problem with GarPax being frustrated with Rose for not agreeing with their recruitment plans, but Rose isn't under an obligation to try to assist them in their roster plans if he doesn't agree with them, is he?

All that it means to me is that Rose can't go to the media and complain about the level of talent on the roster, which he hasn't. For that matter, I'm not sure if he ever has, with this new info we've learned about Reggie Rose.

I guess my question is, where's the conflict here?

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    DHoward wouldn't sign here, supposedly, because he wanted to be THE MAN and he wouldn't be with Rose here. That's a glimpse of what motivates these highly skilled athletes. Jordan wanted to be paid not so much for the money but for the amount of money - to be the highest paid because he's the best.

I'm not sure if the standard NBA Player Contract might require players to recruit or otherwise help the team off the court. There is a clause that might come close to that requirement (speaking to the press, PR, etc.). You're the lawyer :)

From management's POV, they paid Rose near $40M to sit on the sidelines and rehab. The least he could do is act like a "partner" with the organization.

My guess is that from Rose's POV, he wants to be Switzerland - neutral in all regards in relation to players on other teams. He's been supportive of his own teammates plenty - even Kurt.

13. transplant

Rose said he recruited Hinrich and he called Gasol. He wants to be free to do what he wants recruiting-wise which is different than being Switzerland.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The reports have always been mixed. You want me to find one from a couple weeks ago saying Rose recruited Melo?

My sense is he doesn't recruit ANYONE.

15. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    Great point, since there is an actual quote from Rose's own mouth that he called Gasol.

That's not coming from "sources", that's coming from Rose.

Of course, we already know that in the eyes of some folks, direct actual quotes straight from the horse's mouth are useless compared to "unidentified sources"...

16. such sweet thunder

You don't know that either, though. Again questioning motivation doesn't strike me as a fruitful exercise. When I looked at Howard's Orlando team, they probably had the most perimeter shooting in the league, which gave him a ton of room to operate. The Bulls were prior to this season consistently one of the worst shooting teams in the league.

And on defense, is running Howard all over God's earth trying to track guards really getting full value from his abilities?

I think Howard would be great on the Bulls. But I also don't think Howard would be the best version of Howard. That could very well be why he's now a member of the Rockets.

17. transplant

Yeah, but if "your sense" should be considered authoritative, there's really not much need for the rest of us here.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    My sense is based upon what I've seen, read, and heard. Hardly authoritative.

I wasn't in the room or on any calls Rose may or may not have made.

Answer this, though. Why was Taj in the room with Melo when they didn't make an actual offer, but Rose not? Seems like Rose is THE MAN on the team, no?

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    For example, I see this on Sports Illustrated's site:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/31/derrick-rose-bulls-tension-carmelo-anthony-pau-gasol#

Chicago Bulls star point guard Derrick Rose acknowledged "tension" between himself and Bulls management in a revelatory interview with the Chicago Sun-Times' Joe Cowley, but said it's time to move on to a "new beginning."

The friction between the two sides had been building for a while, but it hit a high point recently when Rose pointedly refused to help in the recruitment of star free agent Carmelo Anthony.

"I know it’s been there," Rose told the Sun-Times. “I heard there were some upset people.

"I’m happy I didn’t personally see it," he added. "I don’t want to see that. I kind of wonder where it was coming from because it seemed like whenever I was around, everything was all right. It bothered me because when I wasn’t around, I would hear from certain people that everything wasn’t all right."

Cowley quotes sources as saying Rose wanted nothing to do with Anthony potentially coming to Chicago, reporting he wanted to team up instead with Pau Gasol, who the Bulls eventually ended up signing.

He was not a willing participant in a part of the recruitment process that had him work out in front of Anthony. He also did not attend a dinner with Bulls management, other players and Anthony — something that left the team "irate," according to the report. Rose's camp infuriated the team even more by getting out ahead and painting Rose as an "innocent bystander" in the process while the Bulls management failed to sign Anthony.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [TWEET]408653685929951232[/TWEET]