Anyone canoe?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I've been wanting to pick one up. I used to kayak a bunch when I was in my 20's, but haven't done anything like that in a while. Since I no longer want to do class 4 rapids, (2 would be absolute highest for me now) I was thinking bout getting a nice 17' canoe, something big enough for a couple people and plenty fishing or camping gear. I don't really want to break the bank, so I've been checking out craigslist, they have a bunch available. something like this listing might be perfect for only $350.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, it's been so long I thought I'd look to you all for any recommendations or thoughts on the subject.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Never canoed before. Looks fun

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I can row a boat, canoe?

4. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I've spent a lot of time canoe camping in Algonquin with ultralights. Canoes have different profiles and handling characteristics for different environments. Some are better suited for solo rowers. It's probably worth your time to go to an REI or similar store close to where you live and ask for advice if you don't get sufficient information here.

5. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Thanks. I really would like some versatility, solo or with another. Today is my first day without without a job in 7 years and the first time in 20 years where I've been laid off. Anyway, my gift to myself when I get a new job is going to be a canoe (so long as I still have savings). I've got a couple of good job prospects but I have to wait a couple weeks for both to actually hire. I feel so lost. I had a good job lined up till ten days ago when the job evaporated. Anyway, I'll really need that relaxation on the river by the time I figure out what's next.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    I canoe a lot since I live on the Little Deschutes River, and live near 100 or so lakes.

For fishing and or 2 people the flatter the bottom the better. And you'll always use something more if it's light enough to not be a hassle.

Mine are both aluminum simply because I got the first one (17') from Sunriver when they were selling a few old ones ($150) and the second (15') was a gift from a client who's listing I sold.

We are looking for a 2 person kayak for lakes and I also would like a 10' kayak for fishing.

7. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Here's some serious canoe dancing.

[video=youtube;Ofq_nl366VM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofq_nl366VM[/video]

8. NewsSource

NewsSource Banned User BANNED

I keep reading "Robinson Cano" when I see this thread.

9. NewsSource

NewsSource Banned User BANNED

Hang in there, bud! I was laid off from a job in 2008, two weeks before XMas, and while it wasn't fun then, it was the best thing that ever happened to me, because I used contacts to set up a business that I'm passionate about, and more importantly, I'm don't dread the thought of Monday morning.

10. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Good info, thanks. Flat bottom sounds good for me.

11. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Thanks man, I'm trying to look at this right, and use this moment in time to better my life in the long run. But that doesn't mean it's fun. I'm trying real hard to get a job a that's quite a bit different from what I do now, but would be very interesting, be ethically a match and also pays about 2.5 times what I was making. But that's a tough bit to bite off at once, but I've been laying the groundwork for this jump for 6 months now, so hopefully it pays off.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014