Italy anyone?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by donkiez, Aug 1, 2014.

1. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Planning out my next big trip for next summer and could use some advice. I just booked the first leg of our Italian trip trip flying into Paris for a few days then to Venice. After that its pretty open but so far the game plan is to move down through Florence rent a car and drive through Tuscany, then Rome and finish in Naples all in about 3 weeks total. Italy is so vast though that I keep having to cut "wants" out of my trip, and Im having trouble balancing relaxation with seeing as much as I can. Im a very experienced traveler but my fiance has never been out of the country, so I really want to make this a special trip for her and keep it going as smooth as possible for her first taste of the rest of the world. Ive been to Rome once, but other than that I only know what Ive read. What says you guys? Got any recommendations? Am I missing something I shouldn't? Its going to be a long year......

2. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    You've nailed it, but make sure to stay a couple nights in the small Tuscan towns, and plan ahead for wine tours, they are worth it, especially ones in old chateaus. I didn't plan the ones I went to, so I'm not much help, but I do know that our trips wine enthusiast planned well ahead to make sure the best vineyards were expecting us.

I've never been to Venice, but I've been to the rest of the places you mentioned, you are going to love it. So drink up and love life.

3. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Tons to do in Italy, so please provide more info in terms of time, budget, things you enjoy, etc.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Suggest you consider whether she'll really enjoy sleeping in a different bed every night - it may be less jarring and more pleasant for her if you visit fewer places and stay longer.

Your appetite for being on the move may be different than hers... or it might not, I certainly don't know.

barfo

5. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

My #1 favorite place to travel!

I enjoy Northern Italy and the Tuscany area to Rome and Southern Italy, but it's all good.

Tuscany area's to research (my recommendations): Lucca, Sienna, San Gimignano, Florence (for Shopping).

Enjoy the sights, food, wine and people.

3 weeks in Italy, I'm eating my heart out . . . it's been too long for me.

6. donkiez

It will be late June early July, appox 2 and a half weeks in Italy, the return flight isnt booked as Im using miles and am booking as soon as they become available, but $36.50 in taxes for 2 tickets to Paris is a good start. Going for shoestring to moderate with sprinkles of splurges. Some good advice would be where to best splurge at. Im thinking Paris I go big to ease her into the trip, then Venice cheaper. Tuscany Im not sure, Im thinking of up to a week there for relaxation and to see some of the country side, could end up staying at a few places there. Ive got a good lead on a cheap spot in Rome, then Im lost again in Naples, I fear this part of the trip is the most likely to get time sacrificed but I want some beach time in Sorrento, and I would like to see Pompeii and the Alamfii coast if possible. I enjoy people, culture, food, and beaches. Seems to be more than enough of all of that there.

7. donkiez

Very good advice and a big consideration of mine. Yes we have different comfort styles for sure. This is a big source of inner turmoil for me.

8. donkiez

Rome and Rio are my two #1's so far. After a small taste of Rome I'm actually afraid that I might like Italy to much and never go anywhere else again! The more I read about it the more I realize I actually need months to see it all and probably would still want to go back. So if it came down to Tuscany vs Naples area you say Tuscany? Anyone here for Naples?

9. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

What do you like to do? See touristy stuff? Historical stuff? Countryside? Wine tasting? Museums? Partying?

I studied abroad in Florence for a semester so I know it particularly well. Piazza Michaelangelo is a must. Incredible view of the city. Ponte Vecchio, il duomo, il ufizi are probably the biggest attractions. Boboli garden is pretty cool too. There are tons of great piazzas but you have to go to Piazza Signoria, Piazza della Republica, and Santa Croce is pretty cool too. There's also a big ass market every Saturday or Sunday (maybe both?), its a little north of the city center/duomo but I couldn't tell you exactly where. Tons of fresh local meat, pasta, EVERYTHING and you can buy hot food there as well. I recommend Gusta Pizza for some authentic and reasonably priced pizza. If you're into bars/clubs I could recommend several. Didn't go to almost any sit-down places because they're VERY expensive, but I know some good cheap spots too.

As far as Venice, its somewhat well known for being a place that has no nightlife. Its fun to walk around for a day or two but it has a reputation as a place you don't go to visit for more than a few days because there's really not much to do there. I went for a day trip and was plenty satisfied with that.

Was only in Rome for a weekend so I just saw all the big touristy stuff. My only real recommendation would be to see the Trevi Fountain at night. We arrived at about midnight and got lit at the hostel and started wandering and got to the Trevi Fountain at about 2 AM and it was awesome. Really gorgeous and apparently its flooded with people most hours of the day. Just don't try to bring smokes or liquor too close or security will yell at you.

I also recommend Cinque Terre. Google it. Its not too far from Florence.

donkiez likes this.
  10. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Here's a tip for when you rent a car and start driving. Don't stop on stop sings. You will get rear ended because they don't expect it. So just do a California stop. Even when a car is coming you will get rear ended. The driving over there is much different. I just got back a few weeks ago. Siena is beautiful. I went there and I went to Rome. Just don't stop.

donkiez likes this.
  11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Venice:
    *Wake up early before the cruise tours and their massive amounts of people come in. Do research on where to eat and stay away from any place with "Menu Turistico". I walked over to the Rialto market and bought some fruits in the AM.
    *Take the water taxis to other islands around Venice. My personal favorite was Burano, which is really fucking cool with colored houses. I didn't really like Murano that much.
    [​IMG]

Florence
    *If the budget affords, hire a private tour for the art work. They really explain it well and know how to skip the huge, hour long lines. Really efficient.
    *When in Tuscany, try to stay a night in an Agraturismo, which is a small Inn with a restaurant using foods they produce on campus. I went here and it was storybook.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...l_Turco-Montagnana_Val_di_Pesa_Montesper.html
    Food was fucking insanely good. Bistecca ala Florentina....best steak ever (and I just had Peter Luger last week).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *Go to Santa Maria Novella perfumers and get a bottle of expensive cologne. Really nice stuff.

I'd also recommend checking out the town of Assisi. Its really fucking nice, even if you're not religious.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    donkiez likes this.
  12. EL PRESIDENTE

oh yeah they have Photo Radar everywhere on the freeways. In Florence, its hard as shit to drive as you can't go through certain streets at certain times.

13. donkiez

If we drive it will be in the country side of Tuscany only. I dont drive anymore because of health and she gets crazy anxious while driving. How doable is Tuscany doing trains? Is a car for that region a huge bonus? I am thinking of staying in Sienna also instead of Florence as a region base.

14. EL PRESIDENTE

If I were you, I'd just hire a driver for a day or two. Make florence your base and have the driver take you to Pisa in the morning for a few pics with the Tower of and then Sienna in the afternoon and night, then stop for dinner in Tuscany.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  15. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

If you stay in Sienna you won't really need a car unless you want to go to the big Grocery Store. There are small stores in town though. Walking threw the little town is so much fun. A few steep hills.

16. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Driving is an experience for sure. But if you want to hit up a lot of those little town in the Tuscany area, I recommend getting a car.

I'm not an expert (done Tuscany twice), but finding a good place to stay and doing day trips by car was more enjoyable than going place to place and staying at each place (but that was just me) Why I didn't like staying at each place we went was lodging was so much hit and miss. It's hard knowing exactly what you are getting when booking from home . . . at least that was my experience.

If she is particular about accommodations, spend some time finding the right spot and adventure from there is my two cents. We stayed at a villa on top of a mountain with a beautiful view and very peaceful and then we would do our day trips to many of the places mentioned in this thread.

17. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Really consider cutting down the locations by 50% if you are only going for a bit over 2 weeks. It's a vacation, not a death march. Three nights minimum in any location is a good general rule of thumb.

18. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Ah yes, get to Venice before it sinks. Make sure to come back in this thread and let us know if the water really is as high as it is said to be.

19. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I didn't really enjoy Venice that much. Stank, food sucked, and it was like you were a rat in a maze. Pretty cool looking city w/lots of places to explore though, the Lido island was legit. Buuuut, yah, I'd have rather spent more time in Germany.

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I have been to Tortona several times. My daughter's marrage ceremony was in a 1000 year old church in a small village near there. Watch tower to keep an eye out for the Huns right across the street.

I think that is in Lombardia but it could be Piemonte or Emillia-Romagna. Geez, they make good wine there. My daughter's father in law was a master, you could go down in the stone cellar in his villa, cool naturally just right for his marvelous red wines.

Perhaps you are trying to see too much for one trip. I have never managed to get far from this area, once made it to Venice and another time headed for Florence but got side tracked in another small village of some forgotten name.

donkiez likes this.