Yoenis Cespedes: 'Happy to be here'

Discussion in 'American League East' started by truebluefan, Aug 2, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yoenis Cespedes said he was caught by surprise with the news he had been traded to the Boston Red Sox.

The power-hitting outfielder was sleeping at the time of the trade and woke up to learn the club with the best record in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, had sent him to the last-place team in the American League East. He did not play Friday in a 4-3 win over the Yankees, the first game in a three-game set against New York this weekend at Fenway Park. Red Sox manager John Farrell had said the slugger would be available to pinch hit if needed.

Cespedes arrived at Fenway around 5 p.m. ET, and when he met with the media, he had a stern look on his face.

"I feel very happy to be here, to be able to share a part of my career with the Red Sox with such a legendary team," Cespedes said with the help of a translator. "When I was in Cuba, I didn't have this opportunity. In Cuba I obviously wasn't able to watch too many Red Sox games or any major league games, but the legend of Fenway Park precedes itself, and I'm very excited to be here."

Read more http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story...espedes-caught-surprise-traded-boston-red-sox