The biggest improvement to the bench: McCollum

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

@mikerice6: News from Vegas on Tim gurs camp for nba players that want to improve their game. Word is j.c. mcCollum blew everyone away. He will help

--------

To me McCollum is Mo's replacement, not Blake. McCollum will be the main scorer off the bench next year IMO. Blake can be a pure point guard that sets guys like mccollum and kaman up. People are sleeping on CJs game. He will be an improvement over Mo in every facet except veteran leadership but I expect blake to take a veteran leadership role.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    HailBlazers likes this.
  2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

The thread should read "The biggest improvement to the bench MIGHT be McCollum.

3. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Don't the announcers always say how great the young bench guys are doing? Luke Babbitt hit every shot he took in practice, and no one was in the gym longer than Bayless. Hopefully CJ can be that guy this season though.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

No kidding right?

Crabbes is the first to enter, last to leave.

Wait, that takes on a whole different meaning. :MARIS61:

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I know Rice is a homer, I just pasted it because he just tweeted it so it was used as a point of discussion. My opinions come mainly from watching him in college and even the DLeague. I know it's the dleague but he had a much different game/role than the one he showed in the NBA last year. I think we'll see him take on that role next year when he has more freedom. He's at his best when the ball is in his hands. He can have that freedom off the bench. I actually think it's another reason why they let Mo go. Blake is a better fit with McCollum because he doesn't need the ball.

6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Gurs camp is the best. Lots of vets go to that. If true that is high praise.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm not ready to Crown CJ the best bench guy by a long shot. I hope he is but my thinking says Barton and Robinson are in the conversation as well as Kaman and Blake. One thing for sure, CJ needs minutes to get confidence.

8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

For sure. Mo was a roadblock to CJ's development. Nice to hear he's coming along, we're gonna need his scoring talent to take the next step.

9. ebott

ebott Active Member

Nope, it's a fact. McCollum will be the biggest improvement to our bench. Mike Rice said it. That's a fact.

I feel like I heard this last year as well. Yep, found it. favorite to win rookie of the year I feel like McCollum is one of those guys that's AWESOME in workouts or less formal games but doesn't quite have it when it comes to playing against NBA level players. Basketball is a game of seconds and inches. A lot of guys look great when we're not quite going full speed. But in real games they're just not very effective.

Or maybe after breaking his foot last year CJ just wasn't ever quite right and he's just now getting back to his old self.

10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

CJ is super talented. Just compare his game to Nolan Smith and you'll feel better. I just think for CJ, Will, Freeland, Claver, TRob and Leonard that Damian was a tough act to follow. It's humbling but these guys are not Lillard level. They have not started since their rookie seasons. I think it's lead by example and Portland is a good opportunity for the guy to define a solid NBA career. What I love about CJ is his intelligence. He has good court vision. All he really needs to get to the next level is the ability to pass a bit better and defend much better.

12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    That's a bit misleading: the survey you're linking to is a survey of rookies. Just because his peers thought well of him last year doesn't mean anything about how non-players think of him in Grg's camp. So stop shitting on our irrational optimism!

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yeah but who knows who Mike Rice is getting his info from. Might be Grg himself.

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Kaman can literally just stand there and I will still laugh. Dudes a character. BTW I hope his aim shooting a basketball is better than his aim dumping a bucket on someones head.

15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Is there even a debate? A rookie gets hurt in his first NBA fall camp and then misses the first 2 months of the season, I don't think there is even a question that it effects them mentally. They tried a few different combinations to see where he could help, but none of them worked. He and Mo together was never going to work.

The Blazers were fighting for the best record in the league when he got back and the coaches really did not have the luxury to experiment to long. I have no idea how good CJ will be this year, but evaluating him on last year would be a mistake. I expect a completely different player this year. (As long as they play him at SG)

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[TWEET]501220026062356482[/TWEET]

17. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    This. A rookie missing his first NBA training camp and the first few months of the season and not getting regular minutes is huge. How is a rookie expected to get used to how fast the NBA is if he can't get consistent minutes.

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

CJ has got the mental part down. Imagine if Leonard had his brain.

19. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I expect he'd probably try to dribble it downcourt, lose control, go to the floor, wrestle it away from the other guy, and eat it.

barfo

PDXFonz likes this.
  20. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    When Rice said that Aldridge gained 15 pounds of solid muscle, then we all saw he looked no different in camp, some posters defended their unwarranted excitement as: He lost the weight but must have gained it back. Ridiculous. But this time we have a picture.

McCollum was a tad slow and plump as a rookie, so this is good news.