James Harden says he's the best basketball player alive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by truebluefan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

In an interview with ESPN, Houston Rockets star James Harden said what many NBA players think about themselves.

Scoop: Bottom line, you are on this team and a lot of players aren't, but in your mind, who is the best basketball player alive right now?

Harden: Myself.

Scoop: That's what I was about to say, "including you." You made that sound like it was an easy answer.

Harden: It is. Myself.

Scoop: Then here's the question: Are you where you want to be basketball-wise, even if you are the best?

Harden: Nowhere near close. I've got a long way to go, a lot of learning to do, improvements to make. Um, you know, as long as I'm listening and focused on the right things, I can reach my potential.

Scoop: So in your mind, you haven't reached [your potential] yet?

Harden: Not even close.

via James Harden's confidence still growing -- Sessions - ESPN.

That last part is what was actually more jarring to me. It's one thing to say you're the best player in the league. A lot of stars say that. It's pretty rare to find a player who doesn't say it's themselves regardless of what they really think, because part of the coaching that has been ingrained into them is to believe they are superior to help with their confidence. If you think someone is better than you, you can be beaten.

Read more http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...den-says-hes-the-best-basketball-player-alive