Joey Crawford Suspended

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by playaofthegame, Apr 17, 2007.

1. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

NBA referee Joey Crawford has been indefinitely suspended for improper conduct toward Tim Duncan during the San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks game on April 15, it was announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern. The conduct included Crawford's assessment of a second technical foul and ejection of Duncan following laughter by the player while he was seated on the bench, and inappropriate comments made to Duncan during the game. Crawford's suspension will cover at least the remainder of the 2006-07 season, including the NBA Playoffs and Finals. "Joey Crawford's handling of this situation failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees," said Stern. "Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted. Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities." The incidents occurred with 1:04 remaining in the third period of the Mavericks 91-86 win over the Spurs on Sunday, April 8 at American Airlines Center.http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/456...ford_suspended/

2. Living_Legend33

Living_Legend33 BBW Member

Great job by Stern here. He needed to come down hard on Crawford and didn't pull any punches. If he protected Crawford it'd do nothing but further alienate Stern from the players

3. Brando

Brando BBW Member

Finally Stern makes a right move I mean I really dont get it if Duncan got a T for laughing then why didnt he give it to Horry as well because they both laughed meh anyways I'm glad hes suspended and deserved it.

4. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

Great move, finally a good one by Stern.

5. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

Definitely great to see Stern do the right thing in this situation, but it isn't surprising to me at all... especially after reading this last night:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>A little over a year ago, a little birdie who has been around the NBA almost as long as I have been alive told me a little story about Joey Crawford, who ejected Tim Duncan from Sunday's Mavs-Spurs game for laughing -- yes, laughing -- from the bench.For the blow-by-blow of what happened Sunday, including Duncan's claim afterward that Crawford challenged him to a fight, be sure to check out Marc Stein's latest blog entry.What I'm here to give you is a little Insider background, as well as the following quasi-prediction: It would not surprise me if Crawford loses his whistle for the upcoming postseason.Here's why:That little birdie I spoke of before told me that Crawford was summoned to the league office in New York by Commissioner David Stern nearly four years ago following his antics in Game 2 of the 2003 Western Conference finals.Crawford had called four technical fouls in the first 10 minutes, 11 seconds and ejected Mavs coaches Don Nelson and Del Harris. Here's the way I reported that story way back then when I was the pool reporter who interviewed Crawford in the officials' locker room after the game.Stern, from what I was told, was livid that Crawford had become the story of Game 2, and Crawford was told that if it ever happened again, the consequences would be serious.</div>

6. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

Bravo! This is good news as hopefully it will show the refs that they aren't the stars of the game.

7. dirkenator

dirkenator BBW Member

though I support the decision... the refs do make a sh*tty paycheck.

8. koopa

koopa BBW Elite Member

wow, I totally underestimated stern, I thought he'd be a dick and do everything to make it seem like tim was in the wrong, stern gained a lot of respect from me...........like he cares lol.........

9. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

Thank god he suspended this idiot. Did anyone hear the conversation Crawford had with Finley and Popovich. He was like "he was mocking us, I won't stand for that". The guy was on the bench and he was laughing, I mean are you kidding me Crawford. Is that a new rule, players can't show emotion on the bench? Robert Horry was sitting right next to Duncan and was laughing too. Why didn't he T him up?

10. AiRuPtHeRe

AiRuPtHeRe BBW Elite Member

Pssh, suspended? He should of fired his ass. Great move by Stern though to suspend him. He just went wayy over board with Duncan.

11. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Asking Duncan if he wanted to fight probably had alot to do with it...That just isn't professional at all.....good move...Crawford was just out to get Duncan that game...pretty embarassing though for a referee to be suspended.. I bet he will lose alot of respect from people all around the League.

12. KCX

KCX BBW VIP

Also, Duncan for the most part is a really humble guy and an NBA Icon... it would be unusual for him to be ejected for any reason usually..

13. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Man, Duncan's always complaining to the refs during games. It's not hard to see him getting technicals here and there.

14. SirLaker

SirLaker BBW MOD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Apr 17 2007, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Man, Duncan's always complaining to the refs during games. It's not hard to see him getting technicals here and there.</div>I agree. But there is no excuse for what Joe Crawford did. It is definitely warrented.

15. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Crawford is a f*cking bi*ch. I hope he gets fired as well, so damn unproffesional.

16. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Like someone in my other Crawford thread said, Crawford seems to think the crowd is out there to see him. Good move.

17. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

I am soooo happy to hear this. Crawford has been my least favorite official since the Lakers dynasty when he gave Shaq so many calls. I'm so happy he won't be reffing any Suns games this postseason.

18. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

I think this is definitely appropriate....It was obvious that Stern gave him the 2nd tech for personal reasons, and when a ref takes things too far and abusses his power, action needs to be taken. Im glad to see Stern do this.

19. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Stern: Crawford 'Probably Doesn't Wish To Work In The NBA Anymore'ESPN/Pardon The Interruption - In an interview on ESPN's 'Pardon the Interruption,' David Stern spoke about the suspension of referee Joey Crawford."In fairness, he doesn't think he did anything wrong and probably doesn't wish to work in the NBA anymore," said Stern.Stern discussed Crawford's behavior with him in the past.Crawford has been suspended indefinitely, including the remainder of the 2006-2007 season and the playoffs.</div>

20. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I saw that PTI, Stern is the man for telling it like it is. That was a great interview.