Business Tries to Stop San Diego's Minimum Wage Hike

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-21/business-tries-to-stop-san-diegos-minimum-wage-hike

Labor activists celebrated on Aug. 18, when San Diego’s Democratic-led city council overrode a mayoral veto and raised the minimum wage to $11.50 an hour. The council also guaranteed workers as many as five days of paid sick leave a year. The vote seemed like a decisive victory over Republican Mayor Kevin Faulconer. “The city council is standing up and demonstrating that we value honest work and fair pay,” its president, Todd Gloria, said after the vote.

Yet even before the raise became city law, business groups, including the California Restaurant Association and the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, were already mobilizing a campaign to reverse the council’s decision through a referendum. They created the San Diego Small Business Coalition, which is headed by Jason Roe, a political consultant to the mayor. Lobbyists, including one hired by the American Hotel & Lodging Association, have also been involved. The group has 30 days from the council’s vote—until Sept. 17—to collect the almost 34,000 signatures required to put the issue before voters. They may end up spending as much as $500,000 to pay people to canvass door-to-door and outside supermarkets. It’s too late to make the ballot for this year’s congressional midterms, so even if proponents get the necessary support, the referendum likely won’t appear on the ballot until the next general election, in 2016. Until then, the pay raise would be on hold.

2. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    This is getting play on the local news.

It isn't MacDonalds they show, but ma and pop shops with a handful of employees. They say they'll be forced out of business.

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  4. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

no more dollar tacos!
    :MARIS61:

5. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Absurdly pathetic that their math skills are so lacking.

6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Do you think the ma and pa stores can really afford these employees?

7. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Just imagine how many cotton plantations went out of business when slavery was banned! It RUINED their businesses!! Won't somebody think of the businesses!!! /s

BlazerWookee likes this.
  8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Good thing there's 99 weeks of unemployment, right?

9. magnifier661

It's quite different with "free labor" and "waged labor". Keep in mind that a business must match most the taxes the employee must pay, add workman's comp, add health and various other fees to have employees.

Those plantations had none of those, plus they were "big business", not ma and pa stores. Your comment would be more directed towards McDonald's or something.

10. Eastoff

I think employers shouldn't directly pay for employee health insurance, but the government should. Workman's compensation makes sense, if you are going to put employees in a dangerous situation, they should suffer the expense.

I disagree on the scale of plantations, and it could be how we differ on definitions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Plantations#Slavery But I can see how based off those numbers you could look at it that way.

Regardless, I think if the business can't keep up with the costs, then there's something else wrong. Wages have not kept pace with the dollar.

11. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

So dumb. Wages go up, they close the door or raise prices. Yes, there is something else wrong. Tons of service employees that make next to nothing will get a raise. People with skills won't.

I am glad I never took an economics class because the things people say sound like fairy tales.

12. magnifier661

I agree that minimum wage should rise. I'm just debating the plantation slave trade argument. That's a bunch of bullshit

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The state already approved a minimum wage increase. This $11.50 is above and beyond the state requirement.

I took economics too. What I learned is that if a product has a higher price, the demand for it goes down. For small businesses that are barely making it, higher price is only going to add to their problems.

I am stunned to walk down the main drag in my town, a destination resort town and college town in the offseason, to see numerous storefronts empty. The economy is clearly rocking, so let's add more burden on businesses.

14. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I have no idea what this will do to businesses going forward, but the idea that you walk down the main drag and there are storefronts empty means very little other than anecdotal information.

As of Apr 2014 - San Diego's industrial vacancy rates have returned to the pre-recession level of 7.6 percent (same as 2006), unemployment fell 1.0% compared to 2013 (down to 6.1%), the region added 28,800 jobs since April 2013 - 25,900 of which came from the private sector, The region has the 4th highest increase in housing median prices (among the 25 largest metro areas in the US) - the 2nd highest median housing price after San Francisco among the largest metros, the foreclosure crisis is basically over (4th lowest among the top 25 metro areas).

If the minimum wage will be a benefit or a detriment - only time will tell, but the San Diego area economy is actually in pretty good shape, especially compared to most of the country.

15. Eastoff

It sounds like they need more diversity in their jobs.
    The math just doesn't add up for me. Isn't San Diego one of the highest cost of living cities in California? But they can't keep businesses open? Maybe people should be moving away.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Industrial and storefront occupancy rates are not the same thing, are they?

17. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

You should take the advanced course, where they teach you that demand for some products is less elastic than others.

Survival of the fittest. Some businesses can't survive, that's always been true and always will be true.
    If an increased minimum wage is the difference between staying in business and going out of business, then that business wasn't adding much of anything to the economy anyway.

barfo

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Elasticity has nothing to do with it. One of the stores they showed on TV sells maritime memorabilia. They're putting food on the table for the owner and 5 employees. The 5 employees will be looking for work, let them eat cake barfo.

Fit? Fit to pay ever increasing govt. required burdens?

:lol:

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    This may be anecdotal, too, but we lose businesses like Hooters (a fairly big chain) and local spots that have been here for at least a decade (Moondoggies, China Inn), and where new businesses do open they're tattoo parlors.

I'm not thinking the tattoo parlors are stronger businesses, but the leases are so low they can afford to pay the rent. We'll see how they're able to pay the higher minimum wage.

20. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, maritime memorabilia shops are a critical part of our economy, so I can see the concern here.

barfo