Aloha FAMS!

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by THE HCP, Aug 22, 2014.

1. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

The HCP has never been to Hawaii......until now. Working the UW vs Hawaii game next Saturday. Taking the wife and will be there early Thursday til Sunday night.

Would love some ideas of stuff to do on Oahu while we are there. Don't like crowds and touristy stuff, so the more uncrowded, the better.

Thanks-

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    UW????

Traitor!

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Once you get out of Honolulu, the island is mostly sugar cane and pineapple. The west and north coasts aren't super crowded.

4. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

For beach, go to Kailua/Lanikai Beach. Its fucking beautiful, about 15-20 min from Waikiki. 3 small islands, you can rent kayaks and standup paddle boards. Sometimes you'll see big turtles in the crystal blue water.

5. THE HCP

^ we were told the same. Definitely going there.

Sent from my baller ass iPhone 5S...... FAMS!

6. EL PRESIDENTE

Yeah, North Shore isn't bad either I guess, its pretty chill and you'll probably end up there? Not a huge fan of the shrimp trucks but they're ok i guess. There the Turtle Bay Resort has a pretty nice public beach. That's where they filmed "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". Even though its super touristy, I'd stop off at the Dole Pineapple factory and get a pineapple whip as its halfway to the North Shore.

If you like to do fancy brunch, Orchids at Halekulani is pretty dope. It books up way in advance like a month before and is pretty expensive like 50-60 bucks per person. It was pretty good though, not outstanding but good and classy.

Not sure if you're into doing a Luau or not. I usually go on the Paradise Cove one if I do end up going with someone who wants to go there.

I like to do the booze cruise catamaran rides. They have a few parked on the beach in Waikiki in front of Duke's, the sunset one is pretty dope with views of everything.

Something a bit off beat is the macadamia nut tour which I had a good time on. Not sure if I'd reco it on the first trip there as it can eat up a whole day getting there and crap.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...t_Farm_and_Farm_Tour-Kaneohe_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Assuming you're staying in Waikiki, I'd do this:

Thursday:
    Hang out and walk around Waikiki, chill on the beach, check in to hotel.
    Booze cruise at Sunset.
    Walk around Waikiki at night (HOOKERS ON KUHIO BRAH). Lots of Japanese tourists and crap, its kind of a fun time just to see them all.

Friday
    Go to Kailua all day
    Maybe do a luau at night.

Saturday
    You'll probably be busy with the game most of the day?

Sunday
    Brunch at Orchids
    Drive to North Shore

Most of the food in Waikiki really sucks BTW. You have to kind of do some research beforehand.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  7. EL PRESIDENTE

Also touristy but kind of worth it is Hanauma Bay to snorkel. Tons of fish. The best thing to do is to go with one of those dudes selling package deals and a van ride down there as its kind of a bitch to park out there. You can look up online for best deals probably.

They give you flippers and a snorkel too.

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

If enough of us call Homeland Security we should be able to get HCP a nice cavity search for his return trip home.

9. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Go to Oahu often (got a brother who lives there).

El prez seems to have nailed a good itinerary for you. I'm not a fan of Waikiki, but for getting settled in and walking around a little, sounds like a plan. If you really want to go touristy you can eat at Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood.

Kailua is a great beach to spend a day. A two person kayak and you can take one of your kids around chinaman's hat. You are on the windward side of the island so can get windy (and look out for the man-o-wars). Your kids will love Island Snow in Kailua for shaved ice. Luau is pricey and not worth it, imo, but everybody does it and I guess something you should experience once.

If you don't like touristy crowd stuff, I like the idea of a North Shore car trip. You can catch a few beaches on the drive up. Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach are couple of the famous ones and worth the stop. North Shore is much more of a local off the beaten path kind of day. I personally love the shrimp trucks for lunch . . . the shrimp is fresh and the garlic shrimp is good stuff. Probably find some good poke along the way too.

I also think Hanauma Bay is worth it for snorkeling . . . if you go, go early!

I'm jealous HCP, didn't make it out there this summer. Enjoy getting into a no worries, island time kind of mentality and have a mai tai for me.

10. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    First, HCP, you will enjoy the racial composition there. But tourists will ask you for directions, so practice Pidgin English now.

Second, being a man's man, you'll want to compete with other brawny surfers, so surf's up on the northwestern coast of Oahu. Don't let them find out you brought your board in a rented car, or you'll blow your cover.

11. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

You'll just need to remember this one phrase: Ne ala'ai wa nomo'eke!

"My wife sleeps with nerds!"

barfo

12. EL PRESIDENTE

Get tan as fuck. If they think you're local you get hooked up everywhere

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If you can I recommend Hilo on the Big Island where there are more actual Hawaiians. Great seafood, chorizo and eggs breakfast. Nice 300 mile drive up the Hanakua coast around Parker ranch down to Kona, South Point where the lava flows into the sea and back to Hilo. Not a beach town Hilo, but a beautiful harbor and funky little place.

14. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    50 years ago I vacationed in Manitoba from Hawaii and, besides the haoles stoking at my reverse vacation, they didn't understand me.

Hey you like beef? Nice guy! I no like da kine, you no beef boy or you be stoked some junk on dis hibiscus.

15. EL PRESIDENTE

I LIKE TO PRETEND I'M HAWAIIAN

16. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Students at Punahou School knew the Kink Store, next to campus. After school we bought candy and comic books waiting for the bus. Years after I left, when Obama was a student there, Punahou bought the surrounding blocks and razed our candy store. And I learned that the name Kink Store was no longer politically acceptable. No one, including the over thousand Oriental students out of 3000, had thought anything of it, including the couple who owned it and used the term. But, the government had turned against racism, which was good, so words must go out of fashion.

17. TradeNurkicNow

TradeNurkicNow Resident OT Section Crank

At first I thought you were going to Aloha, perhaps around 170th and Farmington.

Oh, but Oahu? Depends on what you like to do. I like to stay away from crowds as well, so I tried to get out to nature. Koko Head park on the south side was pretty nice.

Kailua is gonna be crowded as fuck, especially this time of year.

Also, if anyone tells you to go to the Polynesian cultural center, run as fast as you can the other direction.

18. THE HCP

Just found out about this place......looks cool. Makapu'u Beach.....

[​IMG]

19. THE HCP

20. EL PRESIDENTE

I've driven by there. A bit hard to park and water is a little rougher i think. Near that macadamia farm