Has anyone played OL or DL?

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by 1honestfan, Aug 29, 2014.

1. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I played basketball growing up and not football. It wasn't that I didn't want to play football because I did but I was a kid who was 6'0 after my 5th grade graduation and I weighed 165 pounds at the time so they placed a lot of restrictions on me and I just lost interest in the game. By the time the restrictions were gone, other players had 3 years of experience on me and I didn't want to get hurt; especially when I was pretty good in basketball. With that said, I do have a question for those who played on the OL or DL.

I have Comcast service but I don't use their equipment at all. I've replaced Comcast DVR's with my personal computer and Xbox's so I have unlimited DVR storage and a better experience. With that said, I've been watching games from last year and I noticed that our OL would almost standup after each and every snap. Then I also saw our DL do the same thing. I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed the same thing. If so, if this was corrected, would it lead to better performances in games against teams that are bigger?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I played both from 10-18, in little league and high school. Unlike you I was small and thin until about 13 when I had a growth spurt so I transitioned from playing in the defensive secondary to DE and eventually OL and TE.

But I don't really understand your question. You're asking why the OL rises out of their 3-pt stances? You're saying they are getting too vertical? In the battle between the OL and DL it is imperative that the OL'men stay low and get their hands underneath the DL's chest pads. Pushing the chest pads up into the DL's throats is pass blocking 101.

3. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

1) Do you notice Oregon OL/DL standing up to much and too early?

2) Is this an issue that if not corrected could be a game changer against bigger lines like Stanford?

Thanks in advance.

4. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

"Standing up too much and too early" is a bit vague. Maybe you can elaborate on what you think the issue might be?

5. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

After watching games from last year, I started to see what I thought was a trend of the offensive line standing almost upright on running plays and on defense it looked again like the other teams offense was standing our DL upright. It made me start to think that our strength is really in the linebacker core and our secondary. Just wanted another person's opinion who was a lineman what they thought of out lines.

6. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Been a long time since I played...but I seem to recall that letting your man get under you was a bad idea.

7. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I guess my question is if anyone sees the samething I did?

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

On the part of the defensive front 7, I always assumed that was intentional. They are reading and moving laterally or backward, rather than driving forward.

9. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

In last nights game (just like last season) the LBs were again the weakest link on D. Out of position, struggling to get off blocks, not getting it done. Especially against a weaker opponent, I was not encouraged.

STOMP

10. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Overall, I agree with you.

Not making exuses but it was DP's first game as an OC, who knows? Maybe he'll go on to be the next CK after a terrible first performance. DP did suggest that he's scheming and holding certain packages back for "Later on in the season". So I guess we will see. I really don't like DP on the sidelines calling defenses, I would rather see him up in the box where he can see the whole field and all the moving pieces work.

I was not impressed with Malone at all. I wish he was more aggressive. I saw him get blocked a few times and he didn't offer much of a fight to get off the block.

I do believe that our defensive line played with better technique than last year but I admit it's only a laymen's opinion. I wonder if we would benefit going to a 4-3?

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Whether a DC is up in the box relaying calls to a man on the field or a trusted man is up in the box relaying formations to him down on the field via headphones is probably just personal preference/comfort level as far as effectiveness.

For a D that is designed for the LBs to make a majority of the tackles, it didn't shake out that way. Buckner had 6 tackles, Armstead 4, Balducci 4, Maloata 4, Sam Kamp 2, Stetzon Bair 1 & TJ Daniel 1. Derrick Malone led the LBs with 5 tackles, Hardrick had 3, Johnny Ragin 3, Jimmie Swain 1, Joe Walker 1, Coleman 1, Prevot 1, Issac Ava 1. Tony Washington & Danny Mattingly had 0. Safeties Erick Dargan & Reggie Daniels led the team with 7 tackles each.

We've seen the schemes work so we know it's not that, but if you can't get off blocks & are regularly out of position, it doesn't matter what scheme you run... guys need to do better at reading plays & getting off blocks. Also, Oregon runs a hybrid 4-3/3-4 where the Drop End may play with his hand down or may not. For instance vs Stanford last season, Tony Washington played with his hand down for pretty much the entire game

STOMP

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014