Canzano: When the NHL is ready, Paul Allen is waiting in the 'Shark Tank'

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...sf/2014/08/canzano_nhl_to_portland_feels.html

Paul Allen is not sitting up at night, thinking, "I have to have an NHL team." If he were, I suspect he'd own one by sunup.

He isn't, either, going to add an NHL team as a tenant of the Moda Center without serious thought about the influence the move would have on his other baby, Trail Blazers Inc.

That said, after poking around Allen's inner circle in the last 72 hours I've gone from thinking this might never happen in Portland because Allen hasn't ever expressed a love for hockey to believing today that if an NHL team came available in the right deal, he'd absolutely jump all over it.

According to a report that was later refuted (sort of) by the league on Wednesday, the NHL is already in late stages of an expansion plan that does not include Portland. That plan would place teams in Seattle, Las Vegas, Quebec City and Toronto by 2017. Seattle makes sense. So do the two Canadian entries. But Las Vegas sounds like the worst idea ever.

The explanation ends up in the price tag, however.

The league reportedly wants to collect expansion fees totaling $1.4 billion from owners in those four cities. Vegas is only there because it's without a major professional sports franchise and desperate enough to pay seller's prices in a buyer's market to get one. The league knows the valuation ($350 million per franchise) is so inflated that it doesn't pencil out in a market such as Portland, where potential ownership is only interested in a sweetheart deal.

So where does that leave Allen and Portland?

Waiting.

Patiently.

Not for commissioner Gary Bettman to lower his valuation, but for a distressed franchise to raise its hand and ask to be relocated to a city that would support it. Expansion isn't our bag. Leave that to Vegas and Seattle. Because the right number for NHL to work in Portland, according to those who are paid to know, is $250 million tops.

Blazers president Chris McGowan couldn't be reached for comment. He's in Chicago at the NBA league meetings. But he told The Oregonian earlier this month that he believes an NHL team could successfully co-exist with the Blazers. And McGowan would know, as he began his management career as an account executive for the Los Angeles Kings and eventually rose to becoming the executive charged with overseeing the Kings and MLS's Galaxy in LA.

McGowan knows that 44-plus NHL home dates beat 44-plus nights when the Moda Center currently sits dark. He also knows that sponsors love value, and bundling the Blazers with an NHL team would be the equivalent of a happy hour cocktail in this market.

Those following hockey closely know the Blazers made an unsuccessful run at moving the Phoenix Coyotes to Portland in July. Again, this only happens when the right franchise is available at the right price.

Said McGowan then: "When there was an opportunity to take a look at the potential of an NHL team, we did our job and did that. We were in discussions. Obviously, it didn't come to fruition because they're staying in Phoenix, but we definitely looked at that as potentially something that could work in Portland."

Don't ignore the significance of McGowan sitting in the big chair at One Center Court. He has Allen's trust. He has the experience in taming a two-headed sports monster. And I suspect he's looking at the showy price tag Bettman apparently has attached to the expansion franchises and shaking his head.

The $350 million for an expansion franchise is the equivalent of movie-theater soda ($5.75) and popcorn ($7.50) valuations. In 2012, the NHL inked a 10-year television deal with NBC for a total of $2 billion. The NFL makes more than $2 billion in a single season. The NBA makes that number in two seasons. If you didn't know better, you'd suspect the inflated expansion numbers in the report were leaked by the league itself, which just saw the Clippers sell for $2 billion.

Since we're on the subject of television, ever seen the show "Shark Tank"? Think of Allen as a substitute guest shark on an episode. Think of a handful of struggling NHL teams standing in front of the room, asking the billionaire for a buyout. Imagine the pointed questions Allen would ask. Imagine the valuation he'd want. Imagine how lucrative it could be for everyone.

That's how NHL ends up in Portland.

In the meantime, good luck to the suckers in Vegas.

2. BigGameDamian

Meant this for OT.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

The only other sport I want in Portland. Hopefully it'll happen someday.

4. Mote

Mote Well-Known Member

Not OT at all. However, this is the kind of thread I expect from Sly. Wait... Sly, did you hijack BGD's account?

5. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    FUCK John Canzano.

6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

It's true, though. Didn't find anything canzano like in the article except for the telling us he snooped around the inner circle.

Hope we get a team. We need another professional team.

7. BigGameDamian

I have been saying we need another pro team here in Portland for years now. It would help the city out greatly!

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Hahahaha!

9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Why does Seattle "make sense"?

They don't have an arena.

10. RedHotRollin

RedHotRollin Member

I like McGowan. But he is a Hockey guy. He's been here for almost two years and he can probably list the Winterhawk roster from top to bottom. I have him on Twitter and any chance he gets he gives props to the Hawks. The point of this, I think he is biased and will do anything to bring Hockey to Portland include say all the right things that may not be true. Like its long term health competing with the Trail Blazers. It kind of reminds me of that kid that really wants a dog and he hounds his parents night and day for one and when the parents ask him the big question, are willing to take care of it? Of course he answers with a big fat passionate YES!!! Only to find when they one, the opposite is the truth. Similar situation here. I think Chris is an emotional guy. And he is emotionally tied to Hockey and he will do and say what he needs to say to bring it in.

With that said, I'd support it. And maybe I'm just off on Chris.

11. RedHotRollin

RedHotRollin Member

I don't get this either

12. -Ace-

-Ace- Mostly lurking

The bigger question is, how does TORONTO make sense? Maple Leafs anyone? Toronto doesn't need two teams.

13. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Which begs the question: do these tools even know what they are talking about?

14. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

IIRC, didn't he work for the LA Kings before coming to Portland?

15. fumanchu

fumanchu Active Member

What's hockey?

16. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Toronto makes sense for the NHL like Chicago, NY makes sense for the two of the same sports sports teams.

It's extremely profitable, and will have no problem supporting another team

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Fuck Hockey. I'd rather watch the Portland Breakers. We need a Football team.

18. BigGameDamian

Last year Portland made sence and now it doesn't?