WHAT TO EXPECT FROM APPLE'S BIG EVENT ON SEPTEMBER 9TH

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BigGameDamian, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/29/what-to-expect-from-apples-big-event-on-september-9th

Now that we know for sure that Apple’s big event is happening on September 9th, the rumor mill is churning faster than ever. It’s pretty much accepted as gospel at this point that the company is gearing up to unveil at least one new iPhone, but optimistic rumors abound about other potential product announcements, chief among them the long-awaited iWatch (for lack of a better, wittier name) and a deluxe sized iPhone. By combing through the massive heap of speculation and possibilities culled from perusal of some of Apple’s latest patents, a picture begins to form about what one might expect on Apple’s big day next week.

[​IMG]

While we don’t really know anything for sure, much of the tech world would bet the farm on an official unveiling of the iPhone 6, especially following the announcement of iOS 8 at WWDC in June. And since Apple is nothing if not a hot commodity, leaks, some more credible than others, have been plentiful in the past few weeks. Images of what’s purported to be the device’s casing have popped up all over the internet, and if we take them at face value, then we might have a pretty good idea of what the next iPhone will look like.

The iPhone 6 is expected to be Apple’s largest iteration of its flagship device thus far with a 4.7 inch screen that’s likely designed to compete with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC’s One M8. But that’s not even the biggest iPhone we might see on September 9th. While it’s not yet clear if Apple is planning on launching the devices together, leaked photos of an even larger model have also surfaced. Depending on the source, the phone might be called the iPhone Air or the iPhone 6L, but the as yet unnamed device will probably be around 5.5 inches, a form factor that fills the void – apparently there was one – between the iPhone and the iPad Mini. As seen in these photos from Sonny Dickson, the device will maybe come in a color scheme similar to the 5S’s gold, silver, and dark charcoal options.

[​IMG]

The internals are more ambiguous at this point. According to Laptop Magazine, the iPhone 6 might come packing a brand new 64-bit A8 chip, which would make it the first of its kind to bear a quad core processor. If the graphic card is equally as impressive, then it’ll be interesting to see how it stacks up against an increasingly tough market.

[​IMG]

Another common rumor is that the iPhone 6’s display will be Apple’s strongest yet. The extra tough sapphire crystal seen on the iPhone 5S’s Touch ID button might come into play, though whether or not a full screen made out of the material will be as indestructible remains to be seen. Marques Brownlee claimed to have gotten his hands on an iPhone 6 screen and tested out its durability. You can check out the video below.

[video=youtube;5R0_FJ4r73s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0_FJ4r73s[/video]

In terms of resolution, we can probably expect an improved screen from both models. A recent report from 9to5Mac claims that the 4.7 inch version of the iPhone 6 will have a 1704 x 960 resolution display. The phone’s larger sibling might have a resolution as high as 1920 x 1080, but so far there’s little to support these figures aside from rampant speculation. While it’s unlikely that the resolution won’t see a bump after the size increase, the iPhone 5S’s 1136 x 640 display might make a reappearance. Anything is possible, folks.

We can also look forward to an improved battery experience, with some reports saying that the iPhone 6 will cut down on charging time by up to 30% compared to the 5S. Though there are a few discrepancies among the rumors, Apple Daily reports that the 5.5 inch version will have a 2195 mAh battery while the smaller model might fall into the 1800 to 1900 mAh range, according to BGR. A bigger battery is of course needed to support the larger displays.

[​IMG]

Apple’s recently filed patents and acquisitions provide a look into the direction the company might be going in – and that’s a pretty big might. Remember, the existence of a patent is hardly a guarantee that the technology will be incorporated into any new devices soon, but that hasn’t stopped the buzz from growing around possibilities like NFC support (a long-awaited feature) and a liquid metal design (a rumor supported by Apple’s acquisition of Liquidmetal Technologies in 2010), though the former is more certain than the latter at this point. There’s also been talk of a reversible USB cable, but only time will tell if that’s something we’ll see with the next crop of iPhones.

[​IMG]

We know even less about a potential iWatch, and the rumor mill for that device seems to be driven largely by wishful thinking and flimsy leads. Some of iOS 8’s features have led many to believe that Apple’s wearable device will have a focus on health and connectivity with other devices (beyond the iPhone). Price-wise, the most bandied about number for the wearable is $300, though that’s to be taken with a healthy grain of salt.

Style has always been one of Apple’s strongest selling points, and a few recent hires like Patrick Pruniax of Tag Heuer and Yves Saint Laurent’s CEO Paul Deneve make us think that whatever the iWatch looks like, it’ll likely be one of the sexier iterations of a wrist-worn device (though there isn’t a whole lot of competition on that front). We don’t know for sure if we should expect a curved glass design or even what shape or dimensions an Apple wearable might come with, so consider us on tenterhooks until an official announcement. For a company under such constant scrutiny for even the most minor leaks, Apple’s played this one remarkably close to the chest.

If the iWatch announcement does come in conjunction with the new iPhone(s), then it’s still likely that the device won’t be available for some time yet. As far as the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones are concerned, we can expect those much sooner, if Apple sticks to its pattern of September launches. Stay tuned and we’ll keep you posted as more news rolls in.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    A 4K resolution screen would be revolutionary. I'm thinking iPad, tho.

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I would have thought it would have been the sneak peek at Iphone 7.

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I didn't just throw out a high resolution. What Apple has done extremely well is to make multimedia portable. The rest of the world has followed their lead.

4K UHD is the next big thing. The picture is stunning and obviously a step up from HD 1080P. 4K is what the digital movie theaters show movies at, so we are talking true theater quality.

The thing about 4K is you need a really big screen to see it from far away. Or you can get real close to it on any size screen.

I mean, you have to be about 5' or closer to see true 4K on a 80" screen. Smaller screens, even closer.

It just so happens that you typically view a tablet from 12" or less. Perfect for 4K. 4K is also great for a computer monitor, but you're going to need a decent sized one (bigger than the typical 28" ones on the market now) to take full advantage of it.

So if Apple came out with a 4K screen, they could lead the way in that space. It would be a game changing new technology.

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I've seen the 4k up close and it really is amazing. If apple could do what you say, then it would be a game changer

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If you have an 80" screen and are 10' away, you'll see something higher than HD 1080P but lower than 4K. That's what I mean by seeing true 4K or not.

If you are REALLY far away, all you see is the screen that looks like a pixel, since it's so small.

3D promises to be given a boost as well. At 1920, they use half the resolution for the left eye and half for the right. So you're getting something like 960P. People complain the 3D looks blocky. At 4K, you get full 1080P for each eye.

7. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I have a 4K screen on my phone already.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I don't think so.

Retina display that is used in phones or laptops isn't 4K.

The first 4K tablet is out and is 20" and costs a LOT of money.

At least that's to the best of what I know.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Maybe your camera is 4K resolution...

[​IMG]

10. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I expect them to announce more improved ICloud security.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

4K is only 8 megapixels. Think of how many dinky cell phones have 8 megapixel cameras. Sure its "better" in theory than 1080p but unless you have a TV over 60" or a computer monitor over 24" its basically irrelevant. Plus there has to be content. How many people don't even notice there is a difference betweeen DVD and Bluray? I'd say over half the public. 4K is a niche product that will be irrelevant to the masses for the next decade.

12. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Yep shoots and can accept 4K video.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    A 720P TV might accept 1080 video, but can only downgrade it to be displayable on the lower resolution screen.

14. BigGameDamian

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple bundle the IWatch with the IPhone 6 for a short time. That's what Apple will push for when this baby comes out.

15. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

So Apple leaked those celebrity nude photos from their iCloud on puprose?!

16. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

4.7 screen would instantly make me go back to Apple. I love the IOS, but hate the small screen, which is why I flipped over to an S4.

17. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Nope, that's why they need to improve their security :lol:

18. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Fuck Apple.

Signed: The National Pear Institute.

19. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I cant wait to get the iPhone 6! Not sure what size I'm gonna go with. Probably the bigger one.

20. BigGameDamian

Will you get an IWatch if the bundle them together?