Carolina Hurricanes’ Eric Staal glad to be back on the ice

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by truebluefan, Sep 1, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Eric Staal showed no lingering effects from offseason surgery Friday as the Carolina Hurricanes’ captain put in his first informal skate at Raleigh Center Ice.

Staal pushed himself at times on the ice, looking anything but tentative.

“I feel good,” he said. “I just want to continue to take steps before (training) camp opens and then look forward to the start of the year.”

Staal had surgery in late July for a core-muscle concern. Some referred to it as a sports hernia, although Canes trainer Pete Friesen said it was more of an abdominal wall injury.

“It was from training,” Staal said. “It wasn’t anything that was nagging. I felt it a little bit and took a week off from the exercise I was doing. I felt good the next week, then kind of really hurt it.”

Although surgery was performed in Philadelphia, Staal first flew to Raleigh for an MRI and evaluation. That also gave him the chance to talk with new Canes coach Bill Peters.

During a question-and-answer session with Canes fans at the team’s prospect conditioning camp in July, Peters noted Staal scored one power-play goal last season. He said that was “unacceptable” – not a slam at Staal, but more a condemnation of the Canes’ power-play structure last season.

Read more http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08...glad-to-be-back.html?sp=/99/103/400/120/&rh=1