I'm already getting nervous/anxious for Michigan State

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by SlyPokerDog, Sep 1, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Holy shit this is going to be a huge game.

Post any and all pregame articles and analysis you read during this next week here so I can keep up with it.

2. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I already watched the Jacksonville Vs. MSU game.

Granted, I have zero doubt that MSU is a great defensive team.

1) Unless we can penetrate the MSU line, Connor Cook has the ability to literally pick us apart.

2) MSU plays with good balance of offense and good discipline on defense.

3) Our up tempo is not going to phase, shock, or disrupt MSU at all.

4) MSU is suspect in the middle of the line on defense.

5) MSU might have a hard time against Oregon in the run game up the middle.

5) MSU is suspect on special teams.

6) MSU likes to keep their linebackers free like Stanford does.

My keys to Oregon winning -

1) Score first and second. In a game like this, the team that scores first will be the first to implement their game plan and CONTROL the game to their liking. If MSU scores first then we are playing right into their defense and vice versa.

2) We have to get the running game up the middle to work quickly and often. We have to make their linebackers commit help to the box. The inside zone has to work or it's going to be a long day for us. MSU linebackers are to quick and will sniff out the plays to the edges.

3) This is the game where our wide receiver core is going to either be validated or exposed. Mariota needs to lead his receivers a little bit better and if he does then it's going to help take the lid off of the MSU defense and keep their DB's from cheating.

4) Keep Mariota in the pocket as much as you can. Let him scramble as a last resort or until MSU changes their defense.

Just jotted these notes down in a hurry but may refine them at a later point.

My inital gut feeling on this game is that Oregon still doesn't have the answer to the Stanford problem and we lose this game 32-20. Maybe I'm just giving too much respect to MSU. I hope that's the case and Oregon rolls them like they did to Michigan in the Big-House.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. SlyPokerDog

Rep'd!

Hell of a post! I liked everything except for your prediction of the outcome, lol.

4. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Fixed

But in all seriousness great write up and repped.

This game also has me very nervous but it will show if the Ducks have an actual shot at the top 4 or if we are over hyped and have a glaring hole that teams with the right personal can just exploit to all hell.

5. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Ducks by 17. That is all

6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    At home, I don't think its even going to be close.

7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I've read their OLine is supposed to be pretty thin due to injuries. Against Oregon, thats not good at all as the opponent needs to sustain long clock eating drives to keep MM & Co sidelined. Looking forward to a tight game in the 1st and then getting major separation in the 2nd half

heres Ted Miller's early preview... http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/76093/oregon-michigan-state-is-laden-with-meaning

STOMP

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

poking around on line, it seems Vegas opened it around +10 Ducks but hasn't been drawing much MSU support so it's now closing in on 2 TDs

STOMP

9. SlyPokerDog

Nice find, rep'd!

10. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

MSU has a very fast and disciplined D, they move to the ball all game long! Cook is very much like Hogan for Stanford and he's getting better by the game. That said how hurt is his knee? It looked bent backwards from that hit against J State! Our D line must get nasty and do it early to keep them from establishing their tempo and keeping Marcus off the field.

I like our skilled players over theirs and our three headed attack at RB's are going to punish them with tempo and size. This game to me is where Marcus wins the Heisman in voters minds! Defining game are made for great players and we have the best player!

MSU beating Stanford last year although very impressive, has no blue print on playing us. If they fall behind us much like Stanford has done two years prior, they don't have the fire power to come back. MSU's defense traditionally has had fits with up tempo teams, and we wrote the book on tempo!

Don't get me wrong MSU is for REAL! I might sit 50/50 in their house but it's in ours!!!

I can't wait! Autzen will explode for this one!

Go DUCKS!!

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

For years I've been laughing at the constant pointing to Oregon's weights along their lines as something holding them back. They've been plenty big enough, but they have consistently been getting bigger. Now here we are where Oregon's smallest OLineman listed in their 2 deep (Matt Pierson at 285 lbs.) outweighs MSU's biggest starting DLineman by 5 pounds. MSU's OLine averages 296 lbs, Oregon's DLine averages 297. I'm guessing that the media coverage and most fans will continue to repeat & believe the old storylines.

btw... Sparty's weights weren't all that different back at the Rose Bowl when they beat big bad Stanford... maybe just maybe mass isn't the end all be all???

STOMP

12. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

My other big concern with this game is the D of MSU begging Marcus to take off and run and smacking him for doing so! I hope Marcus will know when to step out of bounds when need be and do it often!

13. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I just watched MSU's last game and their game against Stanford from last year. Their defensive scheme seems to be exactly the same and I doubt the scheme is going to change for Oregon.

The DB's are going to play bump and run underneath.

The DL is going to play with 4 guys where on most plays the DE penetrates 1 yard and stops and plays for the option.

The LB's are going to crash down on a gap and will drop back in a zone if the QB keeps the ball.

Essentially, MSU WANTS to play in a phone booth on defense.

At this point, the coaches have all coached the kids up as much as they can. Now it's the coaches to actually earn their money. I think it's all going to come down to not only WHAT plays coach Frost calls but WHEN. Frost is going to have to get into a harmonic tone and rhythm in his play calling (IMO).

IMO - Oregon shouldn't start the game by trying to run up the middle. I think that Oregon should start the game out by sending our fastest WR's down the field for a long reception. I'm not trying to be Tecmo-Bowl rediculous here but actually I am trying to be that. As long as Mariota doesn't throw and INT, it helps the Ducks because it puts something else to consider in MSU's mind all game long. I believe that MSU is going to play tight B&R coverage on our WR's. Our WR's are strong enough and fast enough to get off coverage and get behind them. I think it's an easy 7 to start the game. I know it's ONLY 7 points but it would be 7 points that sets the tone for the rest of the game. If the safeties can't/won't cheat down then the RB's have a better chance to run and if the running game gets going on the inside/outside zones then the cycle will repeat it's self.

MSU's DE are very disciplined. As far as I see it, disciplined means that you are predictable and predictability means that you can be schemed against. So the DE's want to turn everything back towards the middle of the field where the LB's are crashing down on you? Well, then let's beat that one DE then? I believe that our heaviest guys are bigger and faster than MSU's big guys. I think we should embrace running AT the DE's. If we can't tire out their whole team, maybe we can tire-out the pillars of their defense? If the DE's start getting tired and they are responsible for cutting the field in half, at some point Oregon's going to start to get to the edge where they are deadly because we all know that speed kills.

In closing, I WANT COACH FROST TO CALL A REMARKABLE GAME AND NOT BECOME PREDICTABLE. GET OUTSIDE THE BOX IN PREDICTABLE PLAY CALLING SITUATIONS.

14. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Remember that play that Darren Thomas would do where he would get the ball, run to one sideline and then throw the ball back to the opposite side of the field and the receiver would be wide open? MSU over pursues to the ball. Do that misdirection play once or twice and MSU might think twice about over persuing. The Jet - sweep might work well to. Slot receiver might have a big day for Oregon against MSU.

15. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

2nd half begins with MSU's starting unit in going against 2nd string QB for Jacksonville St named Shotell. Having success by making quick 5 yard passes under presure. Considering this is only one series, MSU looks vulnerable to the quick passing game. Keep in mind that Kevin Hogan only threw the ball 18 times against MSU in the Rose bowl while rushing 36 times. Pretty sure we should pass the ball to open the run game.

Sorry, I know this isn't a game thread. Just sharing what I see.

16. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I think it's good that we're playing a real game early in the season for once. Before, the 1st half of the schedule was just a cake walk. I'm pretty sure Oregon will win, but if they don't, I hope they guys don't bitch out like last year.

17. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

What I taking away from MSU's defense is that it's very simple, straight forward and damn effective! This defense is to straight forward and risky if they don't have damn good athletes. They will give up the 15 yard plays as long as they can dial in crushing 3rd down stops when needed. Their secondary reads the receivers and sets their defense accordingly to their reads. Oregon could be very successful running crossing routes behind the LB's and those 15 yard gives that MSU is okay giving up could turn into 20 strikes putting our athletes into space and letting them do what we recruited them to do. Oregon must confuse MSU's secondary with creative use of our receivers and where all game. Do not be shocked if Devon's speed doesn't win us the game. MSU doesn't like giving up the deep ball, but speed is speed.

This game really does come down to who has the best athletes in space and who can create space to use speed?

18. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

2nd half begins with MSU's starting unit in going against 2nd string QB for Jacksonville St named Shotell. Having success by making quick 5 yard passes under presure. Considering this is only one series, MSU looks vulnerable to the quick passing game. Keep in mind that Kevin Hogan only threw the ball 18 times against MSU in the Rose bowl while rushing 36 times. Pretty sure we should pass the ball to open the run game.

Sorry, I know this isn't a game thread. Just sharing what I see.

19. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Footsteps or not! MSU will clean knock your block off for you to get those short yardage dump passes. The question is can our receivers take the ABUSE they'll receive to be effective? A healthy dose of Royce and Tyner up the middle early might bruise the LB's need to make statements on our receivers though!