The Bulls and Butlers extension

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This is perhaps the perfect aggressive extension case — an elite wing defender who carried a ton of momentum into his third season and promptly watched his shooting fall into the toilet. Butler’s defense remained stout, and if Derrick Rose can help him rediscover his shooting touch, Butler will draw huge interest as a free agent in a league short on two-way wings.

Chicago might have a window now to ink Butler on a long-term deal that wagers on a rebound but doesn’t carry the full cost of one. If Butler turns it down and plays well enough to draw a max offer sheet, the Bulls could shrug, sign it, and know they did their best to get a better deal.

Rose will turn Butler back into a spot-up shooter, but playing two years without Rose has helped Butler develop all the other parts of his game. The Bulls have used him as the screener in pick-and-rolls, and they have even designed funky plays in which Butler fakes a pick under the rim and reverses into post-up position:

He shot a disastrous 32 percent on the pick-and-roll last season, but Chicago’s spacing was mostly bad, and a lot of those were heaves late in the shot clock. The Rose-less Bulls lacked a point guard capable of puncturing the defense, so when the ball found its way back to Butler for a secondary attack, he had to work against a set defense. He can’t really do that.

Butler, jersey somehow always untucked, looks like Earl Campbell barreling through defenders. He can take a bump and hang in the air, which helped him draw shooting fouls on nearly 15 percent of his pick-and-roll finishes — the third-highest such mark among all ball handlers,9 per Synergy.

Read more http://grantland.com/the-triangle/n...night-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    We had Kirk. Don't diss Kirk.

3. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Yup, Zach Lowe's a hater.

4. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Right now I have 4/32 as the "sweet spot" for a Jimmy Butler extension. A tad high based on what he does right now, but an amount that'll look like a bargain if he can make significant improvements.

If we can sign a deal for that amount or close to it I'd get it done. If not, then I'd rather take my chances next season in RFA.

5. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

4/32 sounds about right to me as well.