This is pretty sad

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://thefederalist.com/2014/09/18...ng-all-references-to-neil-tysons-fabrication/

Which brings us to l’affaire de Tyson. Neil Tyson, a prominent popularizer of science (he even has his own television show) was recently found to have repeatedly fabricated multiple quotes over several years. The fabrications were not a one-off thing. They were deliberate and calculated, crafted with one goal in mind: to elevate Tyson, and by extension his audience, at the expense of know-nothing, knuckle-dragging nutjobs who hate science. Tyson targeted journalists, members of Congress, even former President George W. Bush. And what was their crime? They were guilty of rejecting science, according to Tyson.

There’s only one problem. None of the straw man quotes that Tyson uses to tear them down are real. The quote about the numerically illiterate newspaper headline? Fabricated. The quote about a member of Congress who said he had changed his views 360 degrees? It doesn’t exist. That time a U.S. president said “Our God is the God who named the stars” as a way of dividing Judeo-Christian beliefs from Islamic beliefs? It never happened.

2. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [tweet]509741551283478528[/tweet]

3. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Hey now, don't be picking on Foghorn Leghorn, he tries to get it right. err, maybe he want you to thing he has it right.

I think I had better stifle myself.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Why is it sad? Assuming that what's written here is true (I have no idea, haven't checked it out), then he made up some quotes, presumably to be more entertaining.
    That, of course, is not acceptable behavior - but I'm not sure why it's sad.

But then, I've never been a big fan of Neil, maybe if I was I'd find it sad? Like an 11 year old finding out that Shawn Kemp was using coke and not condoms?

Of course, this does not mean that you know-nothing, knuckle-dragging nutjobs that hate science are in any way redeemed. You aren't.

barfo

speeds likes this.
  5. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    eh so he lied and made up quotes to prove that quote wrong, sounds more like a comedian then a scientist. He isn't the first person to make up things to bring light onto subjects that would otherwise be ignored or to elevate himself up nor will he be the last. its definetly bush league but I dont' see why its sad, its not like he is fabricating scientific results to try and bring more publicity to himself.
    Doesn't change the fact the man is smarter then everyone on this forum and it doesn't invalidate his views and points when it comes to science.

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    He shouldn't plagiarize because, as I have written, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

OMG is an acronym for a real medical condition: Oversized Male Genetalia - The technical term for men born with huge penises.

8. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I would say that Tyson's public persona itself is a plagiarism of Carl Sagan's, but to put it into my own words, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    He's a respected scientist who makes himself look like a buffoon.

The half the schools are below average thing makes it look like he doesn't understand really basic mathematics. It's possible all of the schools somewhere are below average. All of the schools in PDX could be below average compared to the nation. 9/10ths of the schools in Portland could be below average compared to schools in Portland.

He's attacking journalists for their math abilities by showing he doesn't get how a mathematical average is calculated.

What's sad is that he's being attacked over it. I agree he's trying to add some humor to his presentations. But at least he could be right when he does so.

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I see above, Tyson is smarter than anyone in this forum. Ha! Well perhaps, I see he made this list of the top 30 smarts in the world today. He comes in at number
    25. Not quite sure how through, 25 puts him sandwiched between an I/Q of 180 and a 210, but they do not list Tyson's I/Q.
    What's up with that?

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I forgot the link.

http://www.superscholar.org/smartest-people-alive/

12. SlyPokerDog

What are you saying? That because he doesn't have a listed IQ score he's not intelligent?

In 1988, Tyson was accepted into the astronomy graduate program at Columbia University, where he earned a Master of Philosophy in astrophysics in 1989, and a Doctor of Philosophy in astrophysics in 1991[15] under the supervision of Professor R. Michael Rich (now at UCLA). Rich obtained funding to support Tyson's doctoral research from NASA and the ARCS foundation[16] enabling Tyson to attend international meetings in Italy, Switzerland, Chile, and South Africa[14] and to hire students to help him with data reduction.[17] In the course of his thesis work, he observed using the 0.91 m telescope at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile, where he obtained images for the Calán/Tololo Supernova Survey[18][19][20] helping to further their work in establishing Type Ia Supernovae as standard candles. These papers comprised part of the discovery papers of the use of Type Ia supernovae to measure distances, which led to the improved measurement of the Hubble constant[21] and discovery of dark energy in 1998.[22][23] He was 18th author on a paper with Brian Schmidt, a future winner of the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics, in the study of the measurement of distances to Type II Supernovae and the Hubble constant.[24]
    During his thesis work at Columbia University, Tyson became acquainted with Professor David Spergel at Princeton University, who visited Columbia University in the course of collaborating with his thesis advisor on the Galactic bulge.[25][26][27] Tyson was a postdoctoral research fellow at Princeton University from 1991 to 1994 and it was during this period that the project to renovate the Hayden Planetarium was conceived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_deGrasse_Tyson

13. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

they don't list a lot of the IQs on there. :MARIS61:

14. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I said his wasn't listed, it looks like everyone else on the list has a listed I/Q.

15. SlyPokerDog

Since this site shows up in Google search results I think we should just assign him one.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson's IQ is 174.

16. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

FTFY

barfo

17. SlyPokerDog

You calculated 3/5ths wrong.

speeds likes this.
  18. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    3/5th of what Sly?

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Oh, well then he smokes Hawkings.

"Hawking, who has never officially revealed his IQ, but which is estimated to be between 160 and 165."

20. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    My IQ is 147. Not Einstein but definitely smarter than barfo