Wanderlei Silva (angrily) announces retirement from MMA

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Sep 19, 2014.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

[video=youtube;7HvZPUewM68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HvZPUewM68[/video]

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

The 38-year old was regarded as a top fighter in his prime going undefeated for 18 fights between 2000-04. During that stretch The Axe Murderer's victims included Dan Henderson, Sakuraba (thrice), and Quinton Jackson (twice). He also fought to a draw with Mirko Cro Cop. He will be remembered most for his hot streak in PRIDE FC in Japan and for his brutality in the ring.

Silva's late run in the UFC was worthwhile for both the fighter and the fans, beginning with an epic and long-awaited three-round battle with Chuck Liddell in 2007. Silva steamrolled Keith Jardine the following year before a second rematch with Quinton Jackson ended with Jackson pummelling Silva's unconscious body (I was there that night and the arena was deathly silent). Silva went 3-3 between 2009-13 before a drug test scandal kept him out of action for most of 2014 and eventually contributed to his retirement.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

It's sad that I think his career was fueled by steroids. I will always love that green Hendo left hook that KO'd him.