Mariota vs the Ducks

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Mediocre Man, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So is Mariota extremely special, or is it the Ducks that are really good? Take him off the team last night and we lose by double digits. Maybe lose to MSU as well

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Both? Mariota is incredibly special. Maybe best PAC player since Bush? but IMO with a healthy oline last night isn't as big of a problem, and we get it done with Lockie. The team is absolutely stacked at almost very position. So the Ducks are very good, but it's a special player like Marcus that elevates them to that extra level/ next gear. (As is often the case with championship level teams)

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Mariota made it look easy despite absolutely NO help from his O-Line. Sacked 7 times? How many false starts? Yet, when we needed big plays he came through. What a great find by the coaching staff. At this point I see no way he doesn't go #1.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but Pellum. You need to put more pressure on the defensive line. Halladay was just sitting there with all the time in the world to have a field day.

4. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

The Ducks are weak in the trenches (on both sides of the ball), have some talent at the skill positions, and without MM would be struggling to be bowl eligible.

My prediction is that the current coaching staff doesn't survive next season.

5. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Helfrich will survive, he found Marcus for goodness sakes, Mahalak and Waller look like Marcus more and more by the week. We have three O lineman out and that's HUGE!!! Two All Americans to boot!! Chemistry at the level needed now on the O line doesn't happen overnight. To be honest I knew the Cougs would come for Marcus and hard with that much inexperience going on for us. The Cougs are not a good defense at all, it's cause for concern to be sure. I applaud Crosby for his grit and learning on the fly. That said, we survived, and have a week and a half to get it together and get healthy. Perfect timing I'd say!

As for Pellum and his prevent D.... I agree, if he can't bring more than not giving up the deep ball with no pressure on the QB for halves at a time he'll be out quickly. We should have lobbied Orgeron at the end of last year and let him turn this soft D around. Ed can recruit top talent on both coasts and as much attention as our defense needs it truly will feel like a head coaching position. No one has the facilities that Oregon does and if Ed truly wants a head coaching spot again, taking the Ducks to a national championship will catapult him into that discussion instantly.

As for the D:

There is no way to defend what our defense has been doing the last 4 games giving up that 15 yard and under cushion passes to anyone that can throw a spiral. The 3-4 was designed to take the short pass away! We are getting crushed here, the 3-4 is also susceptible to the inside run. Hmmm does that sound familiar? Stanford, AZ LSU and Auburn all attacked us between the tackles and now we're giving up the only thing this defense is supposed to do well. For those preaching hybrid 3-4, 4-3's, who tell you that bringing up a LB or using a converted TE as a drop DE and putting his hand in the dirt to create a 4-3 look and how well it works, please remember Dion Jordan's don't grow off trees. Judging by our losses over the last few years and HOW there seems to be real advantages to bringing in another TRUE D lineman who can get some real penetrating or at the least help stop the massive bleeding when teams like Stanford play with essentially a jumbo package all game.

You play the 3-4 if you have Sapp, Fairley and Suh as your 3 D lineman, than you need amazing LB's not just good to crash the gaps. We don't have that amazing group of LB's. Further with our secondary basically playing prevent the whole middle of the field becomes a massive target. This is what happening!

That said our D line of AA, Balducci and Buckner are not to blame here! They just need another man up there to help. The problem is our prevent nickel packages primarily in the secondary and our ghost town of first half blitzes or anything that makes a QB think that contact is actually part of football is killing us. The Pac 12 has a slew of good/great QB's slinging the ball around this year. The Ducks just can't let these guys stand around in the pocket ordering pizza's in the first half with that amount of time. When your seeing a QB read his progressions twice he has to much damn time in the pocket. As a side note Mathis is getting torched out there due to his size, it's time to find an alternative.

My thought is the O line will become healthy at the right time and Marcus will be Marcus. That said if our D can't play at least three decent quarters the thought of beating Bama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M with there huge receivers or Auburn with their gouging inside runs is laughable! After watching the size of the Sooners lines and the grit and depth of position of Bama "like always", and the weapons A&M has, right now I'd say Oregon in honesty is the 5th best team and that's with the best QB in the game running our show with arguably a top three backfield in the nation.

That's how soft our D looks. I don't think its the players it's the play calling!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I feel like our shitty defense is going to blow MM's shot at a championship.

7. oldmangrouch

DT is in a dive bar somewhere telling anyone who will listen that Mariota may be a 1st round pick, but HE won a Pac championship!

8. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Mariota is a REALLY good quarterback but let's not pretend that he's beyond reproach but at the same time he's also Oregon's best player. With that said, Mariota tends to hold the ball FAR, FAR, to long and I would say with confidence that 5 of his sacks was because he held onto the ball longer than what he should have. When a QB does that and the D-Line is getting close to him then it only motivates that line to play harder. Get rid of the ball when the pocket breaks down and live for another down. Mariota was 21-25 passing but he was being selfish on his statistics by taking the sacks instead of throwing the ball away, otherwise he would have been 21-30 passing. The question I pose is this: Would the Ducks have been better with Mariota going 21-30 with 2 sacks versus 21-25 with 7 sacks?

The situation with the O-line is a problem and an understandable one at that but lets only hope it's temporary. By the way, anyone notice that the less the Ducks play in space the more injuries that are happening to the O-Line?

Rich Brooks got the Ducks to the Rose Bowl from scratch.
    Bellotti brought stability to the Ducks and a Rose Bowl.
    Chip took the program to the NTG AND a win in the Rose Bowl.
    Helfrich, Pellum, and Frost seem hell bent on doing everything their way when they've had excellent predecessors and tenure.

I understand that we're (The Ducks) are going to lose games in the future and I don't expect to go 15-0 every single year. I guess my concern is about a window closing when we have so much talent on this team compared to other teams. If that window closes because we have a lack of talent from the players then I can understand that but it appears that the window is closing because of the coaching staff and that's where I have an issue.

I'm going out on a limb and possibly a tangent here (So I apologize in advance for that) but I want to say that BBK (Brooks, Bellotti, and Kelly) all had at least 1 risky player that they took a flyer on that was a difference maker. Trust me when I can drop names but were all duck fans and we should remember who they are; I'm just trying to save your eyes from bleeding anymore than they already are...:-) Where's Helfrich's flyer? Are we running a church? Can we call him father Helfrich? Give the team at least one nasty guy......

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Nasty players just for you 1honestfan:

I have a couple of sleepers for you already on campus,

1. Eggert 6-7 310 freshman O lineman who will play next year. This kid has a mean streak in him. Guess he got amped up in practice once this year already and took out half the D line. This kid can also move for someone who could most benefit from some more flattering shirts. Once they cut his weight down, Rolls will be given holes to run behind that a Buick could fit through.

2. At some point Danny Mattingly will make his presence felt weekly. This kid hit's like Alonzo but is bigger than Colt. As an LB he'll strike fear in RB's and QB's. Another that loves to put a hat on someone.

3. Glen Ihenacho is my favorite "no one saw him coming nightmare" for nasty paint layer to be. This kid was overshadowed in high school by Adore Jackson at Serra but check out his game tapes. This kid will make you pay for testing him in the secondary. He reminds me of Lott the way he hits. Hits through you!

A backfield with Ihenacho, Springs, Robinson, McGraw or Seisay could be damn good in years to come.

10. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

How bout we stick to reality? At no point in his college career was Colt listed 235 lbs (what Mattingly weighs) or less & was listed 250 his final season as a Duck. DM is plenty big and athletic though, hopefully someday he'll start figuring out where to be on D and make an impact. I'd trade any LB currently on board for another Michael Clay (mediocre athletically & undersized) who just flat knows how to play.

STOMP

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I miss Michael Clay and Kiko so much.

12. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Here's a D stat that should be very telling as to why our overall defensive philosophy needs to change. Once again let me state clearly is not the players it's the D we run.

Oregon allows 5.72 yards per play the most an Oregon D has given up since the 98 season and our D is ranked 85th overall nationally. Note we've only played 2 real teams out of 4 games so far.

An 85th ranked D wont win a national championship! It's time to make some adjustments.

13. Wheels

D ranked 85th nationally in the same Yards per play? Or overall Yardage?

14. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

87th not 85th in total defense my mistake....

15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
  16. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

in past seasons when they were running the same system and ranking at the top of those same rankings, why did you rail against the system?

the system/schemes are proven to work, these players are not... especially the LBs. Helfrich commented in yesterday's Mosely practice recap that WSU had 200+ yards after contact... I'd imagine you blame that on the system too.

STOMP

17. oldmangrouch

I half agree with you. The scheme would work a lot better with better players. Which raises the obvious question: what now? They can't change the roster, so just maybe they had better change the game-plan.

18. Wheels

total defense is always going to be skewed against the Ducks with their system. I'd be more curious to see where the Yards Per Play ranks.

19. Wheels

(not saying that the yards per play is good either)

20. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

again referencing the Helfrich quote I relayed, a scheme change isn't going to have them tackling better. The coaches are doing the logical thing and focusing on that in practice rather then the desperation overhaul move you're advocating

STOMP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.