Coach Helfrich

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by 1honestfan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

First, let me get it right out there in front...... Chip Kelly is gone. I got it, I get it, I understand it.

However, it should also be observed that Coach Kelly took this program to a new height and the success was there as well when you consider that we played for a NTG and also went to 2 Rose Bowls and winning one of them.

Coach Kelly came in and put a system in place that led to this success. A system that could/should be duplicated when you consider the success it had. Keep in mind that when Kelly left for the Eagles, he didn't take the entire coaching staff which is something pretty common. Most of the coaching staff was left in tact. Coach Helfrich, Coach Frost, Coach Pellum are the main coaches at Oregon now and ALL OF THEM know the process put into place by Coach Kelly but apparently they are smarter than Kelly and have a bright idea.

It's pretty simple concept to understand and that is to continue doing what made you successful in the first place until it doesn't work anymore. So my question is, "Why is Coach Helfrich so hellbent on changing the Oregon Ducks?"

Offense is slower.

The defense is not aggressive.

Our points are down.

Our points scored against are up.

We have bigger/more talented players who aren't making basic plays.

I don't see swagger from the players like under Kelly's or Bellotti's reign.

I don't hear any "WTD" anymore.

I don't hear "Faceless Opponents" anymore.

I don't hear "We have one day to enjoy this win before we get back to work on next opponent".

I haven't heard anyone who said that they love Coach Helfrich like under Kelly or Bellotti.

I don't see different plays being called out of the same sets on offense. This is big because you can expose a defender for being to aggressive for big yardage that usually led to scores.

I don't see the same successful play being ran 2 and 3 times in a row like under Coach Kelly. When you can do this it demoralizes a defense and makes them feel defeated.

I don't see a play called by the offense that will change the momentum of a game. By this I mean like when Coach Kelly sent out the punt team against the UCLA a few years back where we were on our own 25 yard line, 4th and 14 and he called a fake punt run up the middle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl9uLBO52ao

It doesn't look like our players are empowered to make plays on either side of the ball and they look like they are over-thinking things.

I don't see this coaching staff taking any risks with players like under Brooks, Bellotti, or Kelly.

I see our coaching staff blaming the players instead of taking a look at what they (The coaching staff) are doing wrong.

I see our coaching staff trying to motivate players versus inspiring players. Motivating them only goes so far before you lose the players.

Most importantly, I don't see our kids having fun.

Here is a new one. Coach Kelly loved to have competition and wanted players who didn't mind having competition. Ultimately, this gave us great depth. Now apparently, Oregon wants to find one dominant player and only play that player and end the musical chair approach which brings a team depth. So where's the depth going to come from??

I am not opposed to change at all and really change is the only constant in life. However, I personally believe that these policy changes by Coach Helfrich are placing this program backwards trend. Yes, I am clearly saying that Helfrich is conservative in his coaching style but careful what you wish for because you might get conservative results.

While Oregon is 4-0 this year and Helfrich is 15-2 as head-coach, I see the writing on the wall where unless changed, our Ducks are going to be very beatable towards the latter half of this season and especially next season.

Ok. My rant is now fully noted. I don't believe that we are heading back to the toliet bowl days but unless the coaches do a better job, we're fumbling away a shot at not only making the 4 team playoffs but also winning a national championship.

I will say that I will be the first person to eat a big fat dump truck of crow if I am wrong and I will even go back for seconds.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I have thought about this, and while I don't think Helf is as good as CK, I think part of our drop in production on both sides of the ball has a lot to do with the rest of the FBS catching up. Our pace and conditioning are not as much of an advantage as it was four years ago. Other schools are emulating it. Other schools have had a lot of time to prepare and gameplan for it. This was inevitable and we are finally seeing it catch up with us.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Grab two forks and a bib. I watch a lot of the current kids being interviewed on the rivals site, I'm sure there are other interviews of them from other sites too. Pretty easy to say they're having fun, as they are laughing smiling and apparently very happy. I hear them compliment their coordinators & coaches up and down. I've read umpteen interviews of prospects coming in and saying what an amazing family atmosphere Oregon has... hell, the Rex Manu article in the O relayed him absolutely glowing about what a great atmosphere their locker room is. I can't recall a season where they had so many commits this early, let alone so many highly rated kids.

I'm not going to go through and refute each and every one of your Debbie Downer points but I find most of them pretty odd. The one about not using their depth is completely weird. They're playing lots and lots of guys at all positions on both sides of the ball. Besides QB, what position isn't there competition at?

Are you one of those fans who generally enjoys gripping/looking for reasons to stress?

STOMP

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Coach Helfrich's strategy is to score less points and allow the other team to score more points and to have his whole offensive line and their backups get injured.

5. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

We will see and I certainly hope that I eat a huge helping of crow. Maybe I am trying a reverse jinx on what I have seen thus far from the middle of last season until now.

6. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

HA HA :-)

7. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

So you must believe that everything is fine and that really this season is just a formality for Oregon to win the NTG en-route to a 15-0 season.

8. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Huh, that is not the response I expected. You threw out a ton of things that ran counter to what I've observed. I gave several specific examples of why your "rant" seemed off base. Rather then responding to those examples you're going for a ridiculous charactarization of what my views might be. To respond directly, 15-0 is what I hope for if everything goes right but pretty unlikely. Losing 3 OTs in the first few games isn't what I'm hoping for, neither is the LBs continuing to play like crap. I don't think repeating Chip-isms really has much to do with winning but I definitely don't think they've ever fielded a faster team.

were you looking for an honest answer to your questions/concerns or to get into a flame war?

STOMP

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Why does every thread have to be a fight?

10. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

[video=youtube;acqn5VeCJTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqn5VeCJTo[/video]

STOMP

11. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

The very fact that you think you can refute each and everything I wrote tells me all that I need to know and that is that you appear to be lacking in subjectivity.

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

not what I said or intended, so sorry but the insult doesn't hit it's mark. Why not stick to the over the top emo stuff that I did directly respond to? How in the world can you claim that they don't have competition at all positions? I hear/read so many articles with the players repeating the same sort of faceless opponents/win the day philosophies it's hard to believe that you're being serious with this stuff. The claim of the lack of fun... the kids sure seem stoked in what I'm reading and watching. I figure it must be pretty fun to be undefeated and rolling

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/09/it_was_the_most_fun_ive_had_pl.html

STOMP

13. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

"I'm not going to go through and refute each and every one of your Debbie Downer points but I find most of them pretty odd."

Your attitude is pretty clear in your own words. Sorry man but it is what you yourself clearly typed and intended to communicate.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Good grief with the drama. If you just want to whine about stuff in the face of 100% contradictory evidence, you're anything but honest. Nitpicking so as to avoid even talking about the questions/topics you brought up speaks volumes. I could go through & combat most of your points, but of course the multitude of articles and videos that do this are so readily available it seems you must be turning a purposeful blind eye to them... just like you're doing with me. I'll try one more time

click me >>>It was the most fun I've had playing for the Ducks<<<click me

Keep in mind that Derrick is saying this despite (according to him) having a smaller role then he did last season. He's more excited/happy about the team and their collective success then he is preoccupied with his personal goals. Isn't this sort of team first attitude exactly what you're saying you're not seeing any of?

STOMP

15. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

So do you still want to call me out or are you ready to start admitting reality?

16. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Just to make sure that everyone understands, I love my Ducks and want them to win every game. Reality is that we have a gubber weak coaching staff.

Aint got nothing else to say but I do have a link. Drink your drink while listening.

[video=youtube;4fk2prKnYnI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI[/video]

17. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Hard to say if it's the coach or the players. This team outside of Mariota is not really that talented.

18. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

IMO - It's not even close whether it's the players or the coaching staff.

Passing plays take too long to develop and to make matters even worse, long routes are called at the worst times. Clearly HC & OC fault.

Marriota is not reading and reacting, he's conservative to begin with and then on top of that he's only looking for the hot routes.

In this system, the offense helps out the defense and not the other way around. It would be a compliment to say that our defense even had a chance with the way our offense left them.

19. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Give me Rich Brooks, Mike Bellotii, or Chip Kelly and this team wins this game tonight and it's not even close.

20. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Team is highly talented, kids aren't being coached up though. It's like Mark Helfrich is Steve Sarkisians brother.