Wesley Matthews On His Offseason And Every Year Being A Contract Year

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Sep 27, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

After one of the final informal workouts before the start of training camp, Trail Blazers guard Wesley Matthews, in his fifth season in Portland, discussed how he spent his offseason, traveling the Philippines with Robin Lopez and every year being a contract year.​
    ———————–​
    How was your offseason?
    Wesley Matthews: It was good. Took a couple of vacations, went to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico and Turks and Caicos. Went over to the the Philippines with RoLo but mainly been in the gym.

How was the trip to the Philippines?
    Wesley Matthews: It was fun. I was surprised by how Americanized it is over there and how much they really love basketball. The atmosphere was great. We went to areas that got hit with typhoon, the excitement from all the people, especially the kids, was cool. Avery Johnson was with us and he was cool. It was a lot of fun.

Did you get a bigger response than RoLo?
    Wesley Matthews: No, because I think they assumed RoLo was the basketball player right away because of how tall he is. They see him first. It went RoLo, Ted, then me.

I know you finished the gym at your home in Madison, WI. Spend most of your time working out there?
    Wesley Matthews: It was finished the summer before last, so this is my third summer working out in that gym. Came out here a few times, was in New York a few times, Milwaukee. Kind of bouncing around playing, was just at Grind Week at the Mo Williams Academy. It’s been a good summer.

I know you cut back on some of your workouts last offseason. Was that the case this year as well, or back to your old, non-stop regiment?
    Wesley Matthews: I tried to pattern this summer the way I did last summer. I was a little more active this summer because last summer I had elbow surgery and PRP injections so I was forced to take it easy. But this summer, just listening to my body and letting the week before training camp and training camp do what they’re supposed to do, which is to gradually get you into shape.

How are you feeling and could you gauge your performance in these informal runs?
    Wesley Matthews: I feel good. You can workout and workout, but you don’t get this level of competition unless you’re playing against other pros in an atmosphere like this. It was good. Our team looks good, I think we’re messing back together. We’re going to be good.

Any different approach to this season for you? I know this is a contract year for you.
    Wesley Matthews: It’s another year. Every year is contract year. It’s another year playing basketball. I’m grateful and blessed to be in the situation and position that I’m in. Like I’ve been doing my hole career, I’ve gotten better every year and made the most of it.

- Casey Holdahl Rippy Award Winning Beat Writer
    Portland Trail Blazers

http://forwardcenter.net/wesley-matthews-on-his-offseason-and-every-year-being-a-contract-year/

2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Three things stick out:

Who the fuck is Ted?

Hole? Really?

And please tell me he doesn't really sign that as rippy award winner. :biglaugh:

3. SlyPokerDog

[IGM]s6cbB1viGw[/IGM]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637725/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And what do you mean you hope he doesn't sign his name as rippy award winner?!? The Rippys are a resume booster! Casey is now an award winning journalist. Don't hate!

4. ShareTheRock

ShareTheRock Hope Is Not a Strategy

There are times interview answers don't need to be verbatim. "Hole" maybe the Casey heard wrong. lol

5. Strenuus

I just didnt know the rippy awards garnered so much prestige already!

6. SlyPokerDog

Within a few years the Rippy Awards will be a red carpet, black tie affair.

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    What about "I think we're messing back together"? Meshing perhaps? Some award winners still need an editor. ;)

8. Strenuus

I thought perhaps that meant they were being jovial and have some good back-and-forth. :p

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
  10. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    When I rip a fart, sometimes i Hersey squirt on my "black tie"

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

12. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Either that or a red tie, black carpet affair, which is what a visit to the hangman gets you.

13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Le sigh...

Regiment: a permanent unit of an army typically commanded by a colonel and divided into several companies, squadrons, or batteries and often into two battalions.

Regimen: a prescribed course of medical treatment, way of life, or diet for the promotion or restoration of health.

14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

There just is not much not to like about Wesley Mathews.