The West

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    While OKC might look slightly worse this year (and it sounds like Reggie Jackson is making James Harden noises) the West looks just overall better. There isn't an obviously awful team. I guess Utah would have to be the worst, but I was really impressed with Gobert this summer and I think Dante Exum is going to be a star, although probably not this year. Minny lost Love, but I think they'll actually flourish, and they're certainly crazy athletic and much more tailored to Rubio's strengths this year. If New Orleans can stay healthy, they've got a very solid starting five, and everyone is now touting Anthony Davis as #3 player in the NBA. Even the Lakers could be surprise - in fact, I think they'll be the surprise team this year. They've done what Dallas always does - pick up very solid mid-price veterans to put round their aging star. Only, of course, Dallas has done it better, and could even be a top 4 team. And then there's Memphis, Houston, the Clippers, Golden State... Even Sacramento look much improved. The Blazers could be a much better team and still end up with a worse record.

2. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I think this probably more than ever injuries (or rather staying healthy) is going to be huge in teh West. Any lengthy injury to a key player could basically put that team out of the running. More and more our bench is looking important to preserve our starters.

This may also be a year of lower seed upsets with the way the West is stacking up. The playoffs are going to be amazing.

3. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but I think the Lakers are a bit of a dark house in the west. Seems like everyone is just writing them off. I think Julius Randle going to be a good player and as long as Kobe can stay healthy they should be just fine. Don't forget about PHX.

4. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

And whats crazy is there are going to be 2, 3 or maybe even 4 pretty good teams that wont make the playoffs and have a lottery pick which means the west is only going to be even better next year. SMH

Of course there could be a few teams that fall off due to losing FA's or retired players but I dont think those team will have a drastic drop.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The Lakers are going to suck ass. They are horrible.

6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

NOP and PHX will be knocking on the door, I'm actually kinda scared if we start off slow. We had an unusually healthy season last year.

7. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

We say this every year it seems. I think we'll still have terrible teams (multiple 20 win teams) and i think 46 wins will get you in the playoffs. It all evens out in the end.

8. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    The teams maybe stronger, but the coaches are where I see the true issue. Of course the great coached teams like Chicago, Miami, SAS, Clippers, and OKC will always be good because their coach is good and they have a star to play in their system. The mid level coached teams will be Portland, Indiana, Dallas, and Houston. They will be fighting for the 3rd-8th spots.

I really don't like GS and Phx because their coaches aren't that great. No matter how good their players are, you need a coach to direct you. Look at NJ and NY for reference.

9. BigGameDamian

And Randle will be horrible also because he plays for the Lakers?

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This is true. We do say this every year. But this feels a little different. It is inevitable that some teams will get hit with major injuries and fall behind. Just not sure which teams. Every teams seems like they will be better until that injury occurs.

11. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You just can't write Kobe off. You also have to remember Steve Nash is still there and he just might make a difference.

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    You can when he's on his last leg. Kobe is a shell of his "kobe self". He definitely has the heart, but as we've seen with Roy, that can only get you so far.

People forget he's been in the league for soooo long. And... Unlike Duncan, he relies on his athleticism to be great.

13. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

lol. Lakers are not going to be good even if Randle is good. They still need a team, to which they have none.

14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

But he has essentially been resting for most of 2 years now. And if he is actually healed he can and still will ball with the best of them. This goes for Nash also. These guys are savvy veterans that know how to play and win. Last leg or not I just don't think they can be overlooked just yet. You might be right by the end of the year when all is said and done but reports are coming out that they both look really good and are in great shape. Jeremy Lin was quoted saying he has never seen two guys with as much drive and a robot like system of pushing themselves to get the most out of everything they do.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I wish I believed that. We shall see. Everybody writes Boozer off, but he's played pretty big minutes for some very good teams.

16. BigGameDamian

So is Lin & Boozer, Henry & Young.

17. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

I know Brain E. Ack will appreciate this:
    [video=youtube;oga4UtCcSag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oga4UtCcSag[/video]

18. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

The west isn't intimidating as it seems. There are a lot of average teams, nothing truly special. There are only 2-3 teams better than the Blazers that would be OKC, LAC and maybe SA if they aren't on a honeymoon hangover.

19. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Who in the west actually improved?

Portland should still be a top 5 team.

20. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Remember- 2 seasons ago when Kobe was healthy (Kobe has missed 1 season, not 2) they were awful. And they had Pau and Dwight.